C5 Z06 or base model C6?

84vette

I haven't had my 84 now for a couple years. I want to get back into a corvette and I am thinking either a C5 Z06 or a base model C6. 

I would like to hear opinions on which one would be a better buy.

I’d suggest an ‘08 or newer (LS3) for the C6. GS if you like the wide body C6 style. But a C5 Z06 for, what I think is the best body AND the motor.

I would agree 100% with Chad’s reply. I’ve had a 2002 C5 and loved it. IMHO the C5 has the best overall style. Then I had a 2006 C6. Then moved up to a 2009 C6 for the LS3. I currently have a 2012 GS.  That’s the order I’d suggest too. #1 - GS, #2 - LS3, #3 base C6 and finally a C5

Here's other food for thought:  Do you want an auto or a manual in the long run?  You can get a C5Z for a screaming deal likely and a lot of performance, but no auto.  The C6 you can get the auto with paddle shift if you feel like being in control of the shift points.  Steer clear of C6's from '05, basically they just threw the new body on a C5 and there's all sorts of electrical issues that people are still trying to sort out, 06 and 07 are better but still have the LS2 engine

My two cents: If you can find the right deal, get '08 and after with the LS3 motor

• Like 1

Those are some good points. Yeah, it must be a manual. That is what draws me towards the C5 Z06. And the performance over the base C5 of course.

I learned my lesson from the 84 to never buy the first model year.

What are the advantages of the LS3 over the LS2?

That explains a lot. Especially why I'm always confused about it being a 6.0L or a 6.2L.

'08 was basically the cross-over year between the '06/'07 and the '09/'13 base model. Lots of changes, but not all the changes. The volume was high, since it wasn't affected so much by the start of the recession. If I had a redo (aka crystal ball), I would have waited to buy an '09.

I'd get a C6 Grand Sport as they have the suspension and brake package of a C6 ZO6 and you can get a manual trans which includes a dry-sump oiling system at 10.5 qts

1 hour ago, Extender32 said:

I'd get a C6 Grand Sport as they have the suspension and brake package of a C6 ZO6 and you can get a manual trans which includes a dry-sump oiling system at 10.5 qts

Also, the LS3 in the GS with the manual is hand built by one person at the same plant that does the LS7 for the Z06...

• Like 1

This is all good information. I will keep it in mind as I am searching for the right corvette.

Why are the 50th Anniversary Editions so cheap? I have seen a lot of them for $15,000 to $20,000.

(I know it isn't a Z06 like I am looking for)

The age, period; its just an older car now.

If you look at C5's, get it looked at because I will share this wisdom from personal experience and what's on the forums:  These LS1's are starting to leak, whether they're garage queens or daily drivers.  The upper/lower pan gaskets and the rear main; again, its the age on the seals.  Ask before you buy if its been an issue or been addressed.  Just about the time I was thinking about selling mine, she started to leak and since I just couldn't pass along the problem, I addressed it and had it repaired; its not a cheap fix because you basically have to drop the front cradle and the entire driveline to do any of it.

Still a helluva car though, I miss mine everyday

I always forget it is already 2020. Seems like it wasn't that long ago I was excited to see the 50th anniversary model debut. 

MidNiteFury01

What are your intentions? If you just want a good cruiser go with a base C6 from 2007 on. It’s quieter, way more comfortable and not near as old. If you want a cheap way to enter autocross go with a C5Z. But remember even though the C5Z is a helluva car, it’s going to be at least 16 years old and as they age, oil leaks, electrical gremlins, EBCM issues, and heat soaked brittle plastic parts. But you can get into one with med-high miles for under 18K.

Yeah, I have been thinking a lot about the age and what I want it for. It is going to be a cruiser mostly so I'm leaning towards a C6.

If I own a car that is 20 years old already, I would rather go even older and get a C3. I guess I am just keeping my options open for now waiting for the right one.

. . . if by "cruiser" you are thinking of road trips, for the long haul on the highway, a C6 is simply sublime - and if twisties come up, an absolute blast.   Just my two cents. . .

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 10:58 AM, TheCMSH said:

Still a helluva car though, I miss mine everyday

well you know what to do about that.  We miss you at every function.