The best way to avoid scratches when washing a black car?

Optimistic

Optimistic

Due to the current situation, I need to wash my car using my bare hand.  Stuck at home means you need to do it yourself. I was looking for ways to ensure that I won't damage it while giving my car a shower. I was reading this article The Best Way to Wash a Car Without Swirl Marks, Water Spots or Scratching It; Black Painted but I am looking for more recommendations. Any techniques or tips? 

brians98ss

Best advice I can give you would be getting a high quality microfiber wash mitt and microfiber drying towels. This site https://www.autogeek.net has pretty much everything you would need plus some good informational videos on washing and detailing if you want to go that far. As an owner of a black car myself, I wish you the best as keeping black cars looking good is a full time job. 

Brian 

The only thing that I would add is to wash up and down on vertical surfaces and forward and backwards on horizontal surfaces. Dont rub in circles. How do you think that people get swirls in the paint? If you feel like reading up on detailing , I always recommend going to www.autopia.org  . I've learned so much just from that site 

Access to soft water is a benefit.  Chamois are old , old school and not the best anymore - Microfiber rules!

Consider a leaf blower to air dry the car, mine is dedicated just for cars and is electric so no oil risk from a gas engine

Please use a liquid car soap, no powders!

There are local Detail Garages in town ([part of the Chemical Guys family) that have plenty of stuff to spend money on.

Extender32

I use an air force master blaster to air dry my car in addition to a microfiber towel. I also have a portable spot free rinse system for the final rinse to help reduce water spotting. In addition, I use a foam cannon to soap up the car prior to washing. DO NOT purchase a foam cannon that connects directly to your garden hose.  Get one that connects to a power washer.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/metro-master-industrial-dryer-and-blower/MB-3CD.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwwYP2BRBGEiwAkoBpAuAXF4MtJmY-u0E-I2ppYrVrCT7AzpYSG65-IIaFVF1B9skQfD_BhhoCZIwQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-DIC-20-Motorcycles-Water/dp/B072FJTX8X/ref=pd_sbs_263_4/147-1266288-1112746?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B072FJTX8X&pd_rd_r=44c811bd-278a-410a-a9cc-6366bef8b915&pd_rd_w=ObKc5&pd_rd_wg=dsR0f&pf_rd_p=12b8d3e2-e203-4b23-a8bc-68a7d2806477&pf_rd_r=WC7C2E2JVY4ERHTW8N1V&psc=1&refRID=WC7C2E2JVY4ERHTW8N1V

14 hours ago, az57chevy said:

Access to soft water is a benefit.  Chamois are old , old school and not the best anymore - Microfiber rules!

Consider a leaf blower to air dry the car, mine is dedicated just for cars and is electric so no oil risk from a gas engine

Please use a liquid car soap, no powders!

There are local Detail Garages in town ([part of the Chemical Guys family) that have plenty of stuff to spend money on.

^^^ Good advice, I just added a hose bib close to the garage that comes off the water softener. I'll be testing shortly!

If you can, wash the car in the garage. I use a micro fiber mitt, I start at  roof, flip the mitt over then do the rear deck. RINSE THE MITT WITH THE HOSE PRIOR TO GOING BACK INTO THE WASH BUCKET. Finish the rest of the car in the same manner. Use a different mitt for anything else like wheels, fender wells or engine compartments. I've used both blowers and microfiber drying towels. I do prefer the towels, just old school.