rocknroll

Help ! Don't wanna pull the steering column !

rocknroll

1978 Vette stopped starting. Knew it was coming. For a couple months I could feel that I had to turn the key a little further and a little further to get it to ignite. Then one day, I turned the key and it had no resistance at all. Just turned forward , no resistance, and nothing happens. I'm thinking linkage between key and ignition. Never done this job before but I'm sure I can figure it out. The big question is this. I don't want to pull the steering column to repair everything if it is something much more simple than that. Anybody got any ideas ? Thanx in advance to anyone who can tell me what I'm dealing with.

Thanx,

Rob

Chameleon

There are some C3 owners on here, hopefully they will chime in.

You can also try a search in the "service and repair" section here or try the C3 section over on the big board (National Corvette Forum) https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/  

aenigma

The key is just floppy in there? Husband (Lonnie67) says pretty sure it’s the ignition switch.  He just rebuilt my 77 Vette pretty much from ground up. You shouldn’t need to pull out the column he doesn’t think (in further research, he think yes you do) . Google a video.  

aenigma

It’s the ignition lock cylinder, not the switch. 

Extender32

We were having same issue. Now we just turn the key to accessories and we use a push button to start it now.

aenigma
51 minutes ago, Extender32 said:

We were having same issue. Now we just turn the key to accessories and we use a push button to start it now.

Lonnie says “just fix it!”  😂

in your defense, he does have some “stuff” he does thats a bit different too.  😃

TheCMSH

Pretty sure it’s just a matter of pulling the steering wheel off then taking a long screwdriver to release the locking tab of the switch housing and it’ll slide right out the side of the column. No need to remove the column

Now, that said, the last time I did that on a GM car of the 70’s vintage was when I was in high school in the early 80’s. I’ve burned up a lot of brain cells since 

Blk n Blu

I would check the safety switch to the clutch or shifter first. I had that problem once. Cylinder can be change by pull steering wheel, switch should have to pull column. Major pita might want to button switch like Extender suggested. Good luck.