C5 Steering Wheel Position Sensor

MidNiteFury01

MidNiteFury01

Having some issues with the C5. 2001 with intermittent application of brakes and power reduction with a Service Traction System message appearing while going straight and narrow on the highway. Totally random (no bumps, pot-holes, etc.). Yikes. 

Pulled the codes, C1287, steering sensor rate malfunction. 

Anyone have experience replacing the sensor? It sits at the base of the steering shaft near the firewall. Looks like the steering wheel needs to come out. 

If not, does anyone have service manuals for a 2001? I’ve done most of the repairs on this thing myself, but there’s limited good info on the web. Thanks 

Do you, by any chance, park your Vette on a regular basis in a parking garage where you go around and around in circles in the same direction repeatedly?

I ask because my 2001 C5 exhibited this same behavior. I discovered that it was because I was going counter-clockwise too much compared to the amount that I was going clockwise.   I adjusted my driving behavior and all of the issues disappeared...

MidNiteFury01

Interesting, how odd. I do a lot of autocross and just finished up a weekend at Fontana. Perhaps that got the sensor jacked up. Maybe all the turning and a lack of just normal driving impacted it. 

I guess i’ll try and blow any dust out with an air can, may do some further electrical diagnostics too. Nothing else, i’ll go for a cruise and see if ‘resets’. Thanks

I had to repair my sensor on my C6. Wheel doesn't have to come off but the whole column comes out of the car.

MidNiteFury01
18 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

I had to repair my sensor on my C6. Wheel doesn't have to come off but the whole column comes out of the car.

The C5 requires column removal as well. Something i’m not looking forward to should the need arise. What a goofy thing to fail. Well, if a replacement is necessary, i’ll post up the process here.

MidNiteFury01
18 hours ago, MidNiteFury01 said:

The C5 requires column removal as well. Something i’m not looking forward to should the need arise. What a goofy thing to fail. Well, if a replacement is necessary, i’ll post up the process here.

The process is; dealership. Estimates are $550.00, ouch! Tech II is necessary to zero out the position sensor and that’s a tool I don’t have.  Plus with all the other issues the could arise with the security, column lock, etc., I’ll let them handle it should something arise. It had a telescopic column too that further complicates the removal.