Misfires, handling and other annoyances. . .WTF????

Chameleon

So. . .

As some of you know, my Vette has been semi-broken for a few months now.  It would putt around okay if I drove like a grandma, but giving it any pressure at all would result in:

Misfiring cylinder 4

Codes for service active handling

Codes for service traction control

There was surging and hesitating and a general feeling of the power not getting to the wheels. . .

Advice from Two Fangs was to test switching the coil packs, wires, plugs between 2 and 4 (thank you, Parker)!

Anyway, this has gone on for so long because my usual repair guys are both out of commission, I don't trust any dealers or shops, and although mentally I can do mechanical work, I am physically unable to do most of it anymore.  Can't even loosen a spark plug these days, but I'm generally too stubborn to ask for help.  I gotta get over that. . .

Enter my sweetie (thank you Randy!) :wub who stepped in, grabbed his tools and got to work. 

At this moment, I am surprised my Vette ran at all!  :huh

The electrodes are burned completely off the plugs, resulting in a gap of .070 and the wires were never good quality to begin with.  I am kicking myself that I didn't just change all the plugs and wires when I got the car two years ago.  I never paid attention to what was in there, lesson learned!

20190811_130316.jpg

20190811_130428.jpg

20190811_130355.jpg

Glad to hear, that should get you back in business. (Those plugs look horrible, yikes)

At 75k I changed plugs and went with Taylor wires, of course I wasn't experiencing the issues you named. 

Now go go out there and burn some tires off....:smilelol:smilelol  All for testing purposes of course.

Just curious, what brand plugs were in it? Use spec AC Delco and GMPP red wires going back in, only way to go 

I had 7 of 8 with the iridium tips missing and still managed to run 10.80's.  It looks like your wires were the bigger problem. Glad you got it resolved. Probably time to check the AFR too, since that could be the root cause.

18 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

Just curious, what brand plugs were in it? Use spec AC Delco and GMPP red wires going back in, only way to go 

The plugs that came out were NGK.

New plugs are AC Delco.  New wires are:

20190811_130446.jpg

4 minutes ago, HOXXOH said:

I had 7 of 8 with the iridium tips missing and still managed to run 10.80's.  It looks like your wires were the bigger problem. Glad you got it resolved. Probably time to check the AFR too, since that could be the root cause.

Interesting to hear that about your plugs. . .

The car is running like a scalded rabbit now, actually the best its ever run since I've owned it.  Freeway ramp, WOT =  +22 MPH at the top of the ramp compared to previous WOT performance on the same ramp (before the misfire problems started). . . :woohoo:

Obviously it's been screwed up for some time and finally just got bad enough that I heard its pleas for help!  :ahhhh:

I don't know how to check my AFR? Is this something I can see with my ODBII or is a Tech2 or other diagnostic  tool needed?

Years ago I had a rough running issue.  I stopped at a tuneup shop for a "scope".  Turns out one of my Bosch Platinum plugs had one strand of the embedded electrode slide loose and make contact with the ground electrode.  I cannot remember what plug I'm using now   🤔

sparkplug.jpg

16 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Interesting to hear that about your plugs. . .

The car is running like a scalded rabbit now, actually the best its ever run since I've owned it.  Freeway ramp, WOT =  +22 MPH at the top of the ramp compared to previous WOT performance on the same ramp (before the misfire problems started). . . :woohoo:

Obviously it's been screwed up for some time and finally just got bad enough that I heard its pleas for help!  :ahhhh:

I don't know how to check my AFR? Is this something I can see with my ODBII or is a Tech2 or other diagnostic  tool needed?

The NGK plugs have been noted to cause problems in LS engines, but the abuse of the plug wires that appears to have been by pulling them off by the wire alone, demonstrates how the previous owner treated it. Assuming the PO had the car tuned, it might have been running lean to burn up plugs like you see. Drive it for a week or two and then pull a plug. If it's white as snow, you're too lean. A light tan is good, but blackish is too rich.

Generally, most owners only find out the WOT AFR when getting a dyno tune. Those who are more involved in racing, hook up a wide band permanently in their exhaust and tie it into their computer for tuning purposes.

I hadn't checked or changed my tune for several months before RR Bob and I went to CA to run at Sacramento and Sonoma.  I struggled while trying to get a strong launch, but the back half was worse with most passes 2-4 mph off the pace. Once I checked/corrected the AFR and changed the plugs, I ran better in Phoenix at 1200 DA than in Sac at negative 500.

It never occurred to me that someone would pull plug wires off by the wire.  That makes sense though, what an idiot!

My car is currently stock except for short tube headers and Borla mufflers.  I can't imagine a tune would have been done.  Everything I have experienced so far with this car has indicated either a lack of knowledge or a lack of funds (or both) in previous owners.

Thanks for the advice on the AFR and the plugs, I'll take a look in a couple of weeks...

Glad it's figured out. Happy motoring, again. It will be even more funner to play with the go faster pedal now, like having a new car.

5 hours ago, mrhusker said:

Glad it's figured out. Happy motoring, again. It will be even more funner to play with the go faster pedal now, like having a new car.

Thanks Mark!  It IS like having a new car!  :partydance:

I’m having misfire issues too. (Been eating to many beans)

Glad to hear it’s fixed now. 

Very happy it’s running. We finally have a Vette cruise Saturday. You’d have had to take the motorcycle or one of your boyfriend’s cars 😃😃

(clarifying you only have one boyfriend with several cars, not that you have several boyfriends with one car each) 😂😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, aenigma said:

Very happy it’s running. We finally have a Vette cruise Saturday. You’d have had to take the motorcycle or one of your boyfriend’s cars 😃😃

(clarifying you only have one boyfriend with several cars, not that you have several boyfriends with one car each) 😂😂😂😂

:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

See you Saturday!  :ACE:

Nice that you found the problem and a relatively easy and fairly inexpensive fix.

"The car is running like a scalded rabbit now ..."

Hmmm, now need to watch for good deals on tires.. :burnout

4 hours ago, NativeAz said:

Nice that you found the problem and a relatively easy and fairly inexpensive fix.

"The car is running like a scalded rabbit now ..."

Hmmm, now need to watch for good deals on tires.. :burnout

Still paying for the last set of tires! :lol