Soulstealer

1979 L82 intermittent starting

Soulstealer

I’m having an intermittent starting problem with my 1979 L82. Every once in a while when I try to start it, nothing happens. Like when you try to start an automatic while it’s in gear. The volt meter reads around 9-10, and it behaves like the battery is dead. Had the battery checked and it checked good. Had the alternator checked and it checked good and all connections are tight. After it sits for a while and try it again, the volt meter is where it’s supposed to be, around 12, and it starts right up without doing anything to it. Has anyone come across this before?

TheCMSH

Check your battery cable connections down on the starter?  Don't assume they are clean and tight because they look it check them.  Check your voltage down at the connections at the starter connections, I've had more than one battery cable corrode internally and the voltage drop across the length of the cable is startling

Sounds like solenoid on the starter to me, but its been a long time since I worked on a car of that vintage

Soulstealer

Thank you! I’ll check that after work. 

Desertdawg

I’ll agree with Jim. You have a bad cable or connection. 

Or even the solenoid is dying. 

In the old old days you could thump the solenoid with a wrench and it would start working again

but they are hard to reach in a Vette. 

old yeller

My old Camaro would do that.

My headers were too close to the starter and it would get too hot.

After it cooled down it would start.

After warping the headers in that spot, problem solved.

chevyguy1969

There is a relay on the fire wall right next to and behind the distributor cap. Mine would do the same thing sometimes.Found it while checking the wiring harness the relay was loose in the socket (No pin retention) . moved it around and the car would start right up. I just use black electric tape to hold the relay to the socket has worked great for 8 years now. Could be the same problem with yours as they are both the same year.

Chameleon
3 hours ago, old yeller said:

My headers were too close to the starter and it would get too hot.

After it cooled down it would start.

After warping the headers in that spot, problem solved.

^^^ Had a friend with a C4 that did the exact same "no start" thing.  He fabricated a vented heat shield for his starter, problem solved. 

Desertdawg
20 hours ago, chevyguy1969 said:

There is a relay on the fire wall .......

Hey Butch :howdy 

chevyguy1969

Hey i am still around just not a lot to say