C-5 oil pressure sending unit

Mag red 02 vert

Mag red 02 vert

The analog gauge for oil pressure is pegged at 80 PSI. The DIC says 128-130.  What is a reasonable time and materiel cost to replace the sending unit?

Thanks!

Are you planning on doing the work yourself? If so, it's really not that hard to do. You'll need a new oil pressure sending unit of course and some new intake gaskets for when you remove the intake to get to the sending unit. It might take a couple hours if you haven't done it before. Some people have cut a hole in the wiper cowl to avoid taking the intake off and I've seen a video of someone getting to the sending unit without taking anything off at all. Just depends on how big your hands are I think. Just do a search on youtube for C5 Corvette Oil Pressure Sending Unit and you'll get tons of videos to watch. Good luck with the repair.

Mag red 02 vert

Thanks husker!

From all appearances this is a very common problem.

I’ll probably leave it to the pros, but I should’ve thought of YouTube. 

Is there anything NOT on there?

I’ll check it out and thanks for the shout!

MidNiteFury01

Replacing the C5 OPS unit is not a major undertaking. There is an excellent post by Junkman (Google him) on how to replace.

Whether you have a "Pro" or DIY, purchase a remote kit. DPE Corvettes sells a top of the line one for ~$250, which is silly. There are other kits, which do not have a gauge that you can obtain for <$50-$75 and remote the sensor to the driver side, above the valve cover area. The remote kit will save you lots of labor and time as this would be a DIY and take about 10 - 20 minutes.

If you get stuck, there is lots of help here, the Big Board (CF) and other sites. As you said this is a very common problem and therefore, lots of help out there.

Reasonable time 2 - 3 hours @ $100/HR labor rate, + price of the OPS + shop fees. $300 - $450.00

Goodluck!

• 1 month later...

I changed my sending unit about a month ago..I couldn't do it without taking off the intake manifold. But it wasn't too bad.  Took me a few hours because I'd never done it before.  I also performed some cleaning of the manifold, added insulation to the bottom of it, and did the radiator hose bypass the was suggested.  My car runs cooler now.

Mag red 02 vert

Thanks!  The mechanic tried to R &R without removing the manifold but thought bending certain plastic composite components might break so they just up charged me for the gasket kit.