Brake calipers leaking - Tipped over the first domino

NativeAz

The American Racing Vector turbine (General Lee) wheels that I had been using temporarily on the '73 Vette are now available.

I will create a thread in the A.C.E. "For Sale" forum before I post them for sale in other places. If you are interested, PM me.

I had the tires removed from the A.R. wheels and disposed of.

Ordered B.F. Goodrich Radial TAs and will have them mounted on the original '73 wheels.

New B.F. Goodrich Radial TAs are now mounted on the original '73 wheels including the spare. :banannadance:

Step by step, inch by inch... :lol

DSCN4589.JPG

• 1 month later...

Still have not been able to get back to working on this even though it has cooled down enough to do so. Way too many higher priority things going on.

I found one of the rebuilt/sleeved calipers weeping (very very slow leak) through one of the piston seals.

The other three look good. I hate going back to fix stuff that I think is completed, but I guess that is the nature of the "beast".

:burnout

2 hours ago, NativeAz said:

I found one of the rebuilt/sleeved calipers weeping (very very slow leak) through one of the piston seals.

The other three look good. I hate going back to fix stuff that I think is completed, but I guess that is the nature of the "beast".

Yes it is.  I had two spring leaks and replaced before mine “touched down” on it’s wheels again when I redid my brakes.  Now 10 years later I have one piston that started to leak every other year. A new seal and fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

Another quick update:

Had a few hours to get a few things "done".

Installed rebuilt caliper that was leaking. Still need to go through bleeding system AGAIN!

Pulled coil wire and cranked it over to check if replaced fuel hoses were good to go, and carb was receiving fuel. Carb got fuel, fuel hoses and lines appeared good to go....

...until you get that panic setting in and adrenaline rush when one smells fuel. Took a few seconds to find where it was leaking, and then a few minutes to figure out how to get things back to safe condition.

(Read: avoid fire!!!) :willy

It was a hairline crack in the hose going from the fuel pump to the tank.

A slow drip, but leaking fuel is "a little disconcerting". It is one of the "S" shaped hoses and it had a crack where the hose connects at the end of the tube, and

It is now replaced.

I figured that was enough excitement for one day.

Time to go buy a lottery ticket. :lol

Good find!  I discovered mine when the fuel pump "belched" gas on the garage floor when I brought it home to prep for a car show the next day.

• 2 months later...

Looking ahead at some of the "domino" items that will be coming up:

I will need to replace suspension bushings. 

Any suggestions of where to purchase, type, brand, etc.?

Many vendors out there, but I want quality parts that will fit properly, work well, and last.

Thanks...

Wilcox,  Ernie wrote a few years ago on a forum how their rubber bushings did not crumble after a few years.   I see they only show poly on their website.  Again poly comes in crap, good, best.  It would be worth your while to call Ernie and discuss what you're looking for.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/about/

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks John.

Ordered from Willcox and they arrived a few days ago.

I purchased the rubber replacements, not the poly.

Great!  Pictures & blood when you're doing it or it did not happen!!!  👍

• 1 month later...

Got spring cushions replaced with minor amount of blood spilled. :lol Small cut due to one of the "invisible" sharp metal edges, not even part of what I was working on.

A little sketchy, but it worked...

20200607_152524.thumb.jpg.9a73bcf01435accfc44103c02664e6e8.jpg

Original cushions. I think they are "toast"...

20200613_165438.thumb.jpg.e6ad7f51ed66eb5dd0bfa916b4887a82.jpg

20200613_165500.thumb.jpg.431de3647c1f3c142fc8d8c7438eb89b.jpg

Passenger side pic with new cushions.

20200613_165352.thumb.jpg.6079ec313b9e3e91e9b68f8c75fba0e9.jpg

Didn't take too long to replace, about 10 min. setup, 10 min to change out cushions per side. 

But it was hot. I had several fans blowing and did it early evening when temp "cooled" down a bit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Information from the tank sticker (aka: Corvette Order Copy, aka: Manifest, aka: Broadcast Sheet) 

Dealer: Murray Bryant Chevy, Tucson, AZ.

Mfg. Plant: St. Louis, Mo.

Sched. No. Date: 39-647 10/22

Model: 1YZ37

Trim: 404

Dest. Charge: 193.00

Rear Spring: EA

Frt. Spring: LH MD : RH MD

Strg. knuckle: 22 21

Eng.: CLD

Trans.: CZ

A51    Bucket Seat
C60    A/C
GV7    3.55B Carrier
J50    Power Brakes
L82    350 HP Engine
M40    Auto Trans
N40    Hydr. Steering (Power)
QRN    GR70x15 Tires 
U69    Am/FM Radio
VK3    Front License-M
Z12    Speedo & Fit
1G3    Tire PR Stick
404    Black Leather Interior
6MD LH    Frt Spring
7MD RH    Frt Spring
922 22    BRT Blue (aka, Medium Blue)

Sticker was pasted to the tank, over the straps, and extremely brittle. 🙄

On 7/6/2020 at 7:28 PM, JohnU said:

You found the "holy grail".

. . . no kidding, since those St. Louis records are all "lost"

It's an Arizona car, too!  Very nice! :thumbs

2 hours ago, Chameleon said:

It's an Arizona car, too!  Very nice! :thumbs

You haven't lived until you buy an 8 year old Michigan Corvette that spend 8 winters in the salt!!! 

Radiator support was missing it's lower 3 inches when I replaced it.

1970.jpg

I purchased it in 1976 from the original owner with ~11K miles on odometer. (He had many vehicles, including 4 Vettes at the time. This was not their DD.)

It was the first car I purchased. Many hours of working part time in HS and college saving up for it. Prices were a little different back then, but still not "cheap".

It was my DD for several years, but I lived close to school and work, so not many miles put on it even as a DD. I purchased a DD when I graduated and started my full time job.

The heat did the most damage, even with it parked in a garage., primarily the rubber components. (see pics above 🙄 )

Continuing to work on it replacing bushings, rebuilding things such as calipers, PS control valve/cylinder, etc. as the dominoes rear their ugly heads. 😋

It is pretty hot at this point, even in the workshop, as the evening temps are not dropping and cooling things down some. So I am not spending much time working on it

until it cools off probably mid-September timeframe. (Getting old sucks!)

Meanwhile, ordering parts/rebuild kits as I discover the need for them. I try to consolidate orders to avoid unnecessary shipping costs. This adds lots of extra time in getting parts,

but reduces costs enough to make it worthwhile.

:drinkers

• Like 2