Brake calipers leaking - Tipped over the first domino

NativeAz

I am working on the '73 vette brakes.

Two calipers are showing signs of leaks.

I removed one of the calipers and took it apart to inspect it.

Fortunately, it was already sleeved and looked from the outside like a rebuild kit was the only thing needed.

Unfortunately, once I had it apart I found it is way too pitted and needed replacement.

So, the first domino was tipped...

Ordered replacements for all of them... calipers, hoses, stainless steel lines, etc.  (Chaching!) :jd

I then checked the master cylinder. looked good from the outside, but once I removed it and disassembled it, same verdict. 

Ordered replacement master cylinder. (Chaching!) :willy

So, since I am waiting for parts, moving on to the next item to investigate...steering cylinder, controller, pump, hoses, etc. :blink

20190522_175411.jpg

20190519_193317.jpg

20190519_193304.jpg

dominostipping.jpg

new vette 62

NAPA Sells those relatively cheap. I bought some for my 65. Go through their stock to make sure they are a USA product, not Chinese ripoffs. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and heads up on Chinese knock offs.

I am getting original equipment,  SS sleeved, rebuilds with correct codes/stamps for a 1973 from a U.S. Manufacturer.

I already found several vacuum leaks from old tubing/hoses, and probably will replace most of them when I get to that domino. :P

I already have been looking at replacements for the tires (including spare). I will have them mounted on the original wheels. I can't find Goodyear or Firestone radials, so I am contemplating using

BF Goodrich Radials with white lettering exposed. (That was the look back in the 70's)

I currently have very old tires mounted on 197? American Racing Vector turbine (General Lee) wheels temporarily that I am using to move the car around the workshop.

The AR wheels will be sold when I have the new tires mounted on the stock vette wheels to use.

The vette originally had the infamous Firestone 500 radials (Click here if you are not familiar with the problem...), which I changed in 1978 when the right front tire came apart while my wife was driving. Luckily, there was no damage to the car. :willy

I am looking forward to getting it back on the road...:burnout

but I think it will be awhile as I discover the need to repair/replace stuff.

I fixed one leaker, again last week.  Second time in the same hole in four years. All the others have been fine since I went steel sleeves 15 yrs ago. ( the originals lasted 23 yrs).   The stainless piston showed galling as it rubbed against the sleeve.  I polished it up with the Dremel and dropped it back in with a new seal and we'll see what happens in another two years. 

The sleeves in your second caliper look like an advertisement for changing brake fluid to get the water out of the system...... but you are in dry AZ not the moisture ridden north where my car is kept.  If we did our due diligence correctly we knew our C3's would do this sooner of later.  A little sweat equity on the garage floor and all is good for a few more years.

I hated parting with my OEM outline lettered Goodyears but I did not want to pay the Coker Tire price for their reproductions.  I did T/A's and they perform fine. I had them rebalanced last week after 4 years and drove 300ish miles today with no complaints.  The white letters do have a nasty habit of  turning yellowish after a few days.  I'll take sandpaper to them and they look great for a few days and yellow again..... yup, I've tried every chemical known to man to clean a tire with and the result is the same.

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnU said:

I hated parting with my OEM outline lettered Goodyears but I did not want to pay the Coker Tire price for their reproductions.  I did T/A's and they perform fine. I had them rebalanced last week after 4 years and drove 300ish miles today with no complaints.  The white letters do have a nasty habit of  turning yellowish after a few days.  I'll take sandpaper to them and they look great for a few days and yellow again..... yup, I've tried every chemical known to man to clean a tire with and the result is the same.

Same reason I chose to go with the BF Goodrich Radial T/As.

I always have had excellent performance and longevity using BF Goodrich tires on our SUV and truck.

Calipers, hoses, and lines arrived and installed.

Master cylinder could not be cleaned/polished, too much pitting to trust.

Waiting for delivery. Once that arrives, I will bench bleed, install, and bleed brake system.

While waiting, I am :

-  Checking brake booster & check valve

-  Checking headlamp vacuum system components, etc.

- Vacuum line filter, vacuum check valve, and headlamp actuators appear to be operating. Probably a good idea to replace the filter anyway.

Lots more of the headlamp vacuum system and hoses to check out.

-  Cleaning/Checking PS pump, Control valve, and cylinder. May need rebuild kits for these.

:willy

That'll be good as new!  Got a picture of that Vacuum filter.  I've never touched mine!

Here is a pic of the vacuum filter. I think it is the original filter...😮

It needs replacing, the filter membrane inside is torn.

vacuum filter.JPG

47 minutes ago, NativeAz said:

Here is a pic of the vacuum filter. I think it is the original filter...😮

It needs replacing, the filter membrane inside is torn.

vacuum filter.JPG

Interesting, I'll have to change mine. Thanks

I need to do a little more testing, but I think the left and right Headlight Vacuum Actuator Relay Valves need replacing.

The left side leaks down slowly, but definitely leaking. The right side will not hold vacuum at all.

Any suggestions where to get replacement parts that are not cheaply made knockoffs?

I found many vendors that sell parts, but did not find info on where the parts were made or quality and experience with the vendors.

I pulled the left and right Headlight Vacuum Actuator Relay Valves and bench tested them. Both need replacing. 

Ordered from Willcox Corvette.

Another domino tips over...:willy   :P

Continuing the vacuum system checkout.

11 hours ago, NativeAz said:

Ordered from Willcox Corvette.

:ok:     I ordered a bunch of stuff in 1979 from Ernie and by golly he's still at it!

12 hours ago, JohnU said:

:ok:     I ordered a bunch of stuff in 1979 from Ernie and by golly he's still at it!

As in; he still hasn’t completed the order yet or that he’s still in business.  😄

9 minutes ago, JacksAO said:

As in; he still hasn’t completed the order yet or that he’s still in business.  😄

He's still in the business!  :ok:

Master cylinder arrived on Saturday.

I bench bled and installed it today. Bled all calipers. Brakes feel good. Final checkout when I get vacuum leaks fixed and start the engine.

Waiting for Headlight Vacuum Actuator Relay Valves to be delivered. Estimated next Friday.

Meanwhile, I am continuing Cleaning/Checking PS pump, Control valve, and cylinder.

:drinkers

Headlight Vacuum Actuator Relay Valves delivered and installed.

Continuing testing and getting vacuum leaks fixed.

Also, continuing Cleaning/Checking PS pump, Control valve, and cylinder. Not obvious if/where it is leaking.

Getting closer to starting engine and checking these items out using its vacuum and pressure to find leaks, etc.

It is moving along nicely, but taking longer than I would like. Part of it is waiting for parts, the other factor is...

It Sucks to get Old!!! Did gravitational pull increase...it seems harder to get back up after laying under car to work on stuff.  :smilelol

On 5/31/2019 at 9:06 AM, NativeAz said:

Same reason I chose to go with the BF Goodrich Radial T/As.

I always have had excellent performance and longevity using BF Goodrich tires on our SUV and truck.

I remember using a product called BeachWhite but for the life of me, I can't remember who made it. Wesely's perhaps?

4 hours ago, Extender32 said:

I remember using a product called BeachWhite but for the life of me, I can't remember who made it. Wesely's perhaps?

Thats the one Greg.  Good stuff

12 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Thats the one Greg.  Good stuff

Yep, used it on the white walls of my 73' Catalina and the raised white lettering on my Monte Carlo SS.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update....

Continuing testing and getting vacuum leaks fixed. Installed Headlamp relays which fixed the major vacuum leaks forward of the firewall.

I am still chasing down slow leak(s) that appear to be somewhere under the dash.

I ordered replacement belts embossed with GM markings, along with a couple of formed fuel hoses that had "Hidden" hairline cracks (guess how I found the cracks 😳...).

Ordered a week ago, should arrive any day now.

Next dominos to fall...tranny oil and filter change, PS pump, Control valve, and cylinder. Shocks, and most of the bushings need attention.

. . . so, is your garage air conditioned, or you are so involved with this interesting project you don't notice the heat?  :devil10:

I am working on it in the workshop, garage gets afternoon sun and is hot. Other cars in there.

Previous owner had the workshop built with tons of extra stuff to help with heat/cold.

Ceiling is 20+ feet with fans.

Attic is vented and has deep layers of insulation.

I usually can work in there until the monsoons hit and  heat and the humidity is high.

It is still cool enough to work in there as long as I keep the doors closed and fans running. I also have 2 high volume floor fans running to help.

But yes, sometimes the project is interesting enough that I ignore the heat until sweat is running into my eyes blinding me... 😋

:drinkers

• 1 month later...

This project has been put on the back burner due to other priorities, weather, etc., but I should be able to resume working on it in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, waiting for a few ordered items to arrive, and need to get new tires mounted on the original wheels (including the spare).

I will have them remove the old tires off of the American Racing wheels I had been using temporarily and sell the wheels.

:burnout

• Like 1