hot center console

Batmobile

hello everyone. i'm new to C5 quirks and issues. dealing with the damn "active handling warm up" issues and "security" issues, meanwhile can anyone tell me after driving a little while, why is my side so damn hot in the car? the center console is irradiating a lot of heat! no a/c issues at all. just really hot center console. passenger side seems not as hot as driver side. i looked underneath and the heat shield is there, not missing. 

Nature of the beast. My center console isn't as hot since I removed the cats during header install but it still gets very hot.

There are vendors that sell tunnel insulation above and below console if your interested, just look on the big forum.

Makes me wonder when I leave my 2A in the console......:smilelol

Yep, nature of the beast.  If you want to help it considerably, pull out your seats and carpet and insulate.  There is a product called Dyna Mat which is really good but pretty expensive.  I've known plenty that have gone to Home Depot and purchased the silver FrostKing rolled insulation and had excellent results.  This will also help deaden road noise if you do the rear deck or trunk as well

JLs Mistress

I did the Frost king and it did help ...also went to dual tunnel plates with air space between the plates.. HOXXOH gave me that idea...

• Upvote 1

Shakti Vette

I had the same issue in our GS removed two of the four cats (under floor cats by counsel) and that took care of most of the heat issues. The feet were on fire from those little bastards....>!

image.png.bc4bb858935fefcd3721e31e105c68b1.png

On the C4 the issue is normally the rubber boot ontop of the transmission tunnel underneath the console is compromised (Ripped/Torn). It amazing hot much heat the rubber boot keeps out of the console area. Another thing to look into  

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone. just got my car back from classic gold. they fixed the sun damage on my driver's door. looks great! so this is what i decided to do about the heat... i bought this kit from Design Engineering. Trans Tunnel insulation kit. they said it should help a lot with the heat. you don't have to remove all those 8mm bolts but i have the tools and lift so it's not that much extra work. the adhesive on this thing is really strong though. 

next item to tackle will be the seats. i will get genuine leather two tone black and gray, new foam and fix the damn slack on the seat track.

thumbnail_20190606_152441.jpg

thumbnail_20190606_152446.jpg

thumbnail_20190607_080224.jpg

thumbnail_20190607_080229.jpg

Great work. From what I've read installing the tunnel plate also helps stiffen the body up. 

Must be awesome having a lift too. My quickjack is already getting old and I'm already old.....:smilelol

On 6/7/2019 at 8:30 PM, SixAddict said:

Great work. From what I've read installing the tunnel plate also helps stiffen the body up. 

Must be awesome having a lift too. My quickjack is already getting old and I'm already old.....:smilelol

my boss lets me do a lot of stuff to my cars at work.  guess when you are top dog you have a few perks :).

2 hours ago, Batmobile said:

my boss lets me do a lot of stuff to my cars at work.  guess when you are top dog you have a few perks :).

Its good being top dog.....I'm sure you earned it, :cheers

just an update: this kit helped a little with the heat, but still hot. looks like the only way to completely stop it would be to remove all carpet and install more insulation like some of you guys did.

You'll never completely stop the heat from the exhaust, but you can somewhat limit what enters the cockpit with insulation under the carpet. The Home Depot stuff works as good as anything and is just a fraction of the price of other methods.