ACE to AutoCross

NateFamilyofFun

NateFamilyofFun

**Not an ACE hosted Event**

When: April 6th, 2019

Hello everyone,

I don't know if you are familiar but there is a fun, safe, friendly way to race the Corvette around the track called "AutoCross" and I would love to see some of the ACE lunch groups out there! (to drive or to watch a bit)

Come along with me and try it out!

The event details are here:

http://www.azsolo.com/backup/index.php/events-info/241

Register to Drive in the Event here:

AZ Solo Spring 2019 Event 4

EVENT: Saturday, April 6 at Arizona Motorsports Park

Registration opens Sat, Mar 23, 10:00am

http://www.mindthecones.com/

I’ve autocrossed there, it was a blast. We’re in after I read all the class stuff.  

We got to run 1 1/2 hours after our supposed start time so that was kind of irritating. 

ACE has done its own “Fun AutoX” in the past. 

No run groups and no workers on track. Just run all you want. 

Way more fun !!!

Also, AMP has sound limitations that doesn’t allow most of us to run.

Plus the added day to just try and get noise qualified to run there makes it all unappealing. 

Not knocking your thread, just posting my thoughts. 

NateFamilyofFun
1 hour ago, Desertdawg said:

Way more fun !!!

Plus the added day to just try and get noise qualified to run there makes it all unappealing. 

I've heard that and have been trying to search around the forum for some pictures/videos, it sounds like a blast and lots of fun! I'd drop a few bucks to run all I want, maybe it can be set up again sometime.

1 hour ago, Desertdawg said:

Way more fun !!!

Yep you’re right on. I’m not going to go after all, at first I thought it was an ACE event.  I don’t want to be waiting around all day to get a turn. 

That is a good “track” though. I don’t know the first thing about putting an ACE event together, so if anyone knows how, I’ll be your first “in”. 

NateFamilyofFun
2 hours ago, aenigma said:

Yep you’re right on. I’m not going to go after all, at first I thought it was an ACE event.  I don’t want to be waiting around all day to get a turn. 

That is a good “track” though. I don’t know the first thing about putting an ACE event together, so if anyone knows how, I’ll be your first “in”. 

I added a disclaimer at the top for not an ACE hosted event, hope that would clarify it. I would agree that the waiting around part is a bit of a bummer. 

Maybe we can get a ACE track day setup for the fall for plenty of time for planning and preparation.

• 1 month later...
David Edgington

I love to AX.  My only limitation is that I cannot do so on Sundays.  Count me in whenever you plan these again in the future.  The "fun" AX sounds - fun.

Desertdawg

IF we can get enough interest and commitment here. Maybe we can try for this fall. 

• Like 1

Its the most fun anyone can have with their clothes on.

The SCCA Region in Tucson is having an event at Marana Regional Airport.  I would assume no sound restrictions at this venue.

• 3 weeks later...
MidNiteFury01

If any one has any questions about the SCCA events, let me know. I run at AMP every event and part of the set-up crew.

As Kenny said, its a blast. Its a fun day, you get to meet new people who love cars. You get to see how your car really handles and evaluate / improve your own driving skills. Imagine it being a car show, but you actually see the cars do something other than sit. 

Sound is 96dBa at 50'. Sound test is at 8:30am. Its free. So you'll know how loud your car is, if you don't pass you get your money back. 

Four run groups morning w/four runs & 4 fun runs in the afternoon. You don't have to do the fun runs and if you sign up for A or B, you'll be out before noon. Instructors available. Once you've completed your run / work, you can leave. No other commitments. 

This is a run/work event. You run, then you work, usually watching cars in the in-field and chasing an occasional knocked over cone. Its great perspective on how people are navigating the course. Its more fun than you think.  

Marana is great, very long courses, fast too, no sound restrictions, but it is a hike. There you'll get 5 runs in A group and 4 in the after noon should you stay. 

For classing sign up for Novice, Pax 3. If you need help, let me know. SCCA can be kinda of stuffy, but running with Pax 3, Novice, removes the stuffiness. If you stick with it, then you can run CAM-S, and there is no restriction except it needs an interior and no whale tails for aero modifications. 

Next event is in Sept. www.azsolo.com 

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Ben Z.