Ticking Noise Cold Start C6 LS3

Motownsax

Just bought a 2012 with 18000 miles. On cold start I pick up a ticking noise. When driving the tick speeds up, Hear it for about 1 mile. If I let it idle and warm up then drive it there is no ticking. When warm no noise at all. Long story short from what I see this is normal on the LS3 and even have read on the later model cars. I don't know if the true name is piston slap but told this is normal. You can hear it about 1:38 seconds into the audio. THXXXXXXX in advance. Hopefully the audio clip works

Voice 001_sd.m4a

I believe the LS3 has the similar issue as the LS1 with carbon build up.  I use a fuel additive product call BG44K that will, after running a couple tanks through it quiets it down fairly significantly.

Also, check your spark plugs, fellow member here had a loose plug and it ticked in similar fashion

Any progress?

I had this issue with my current LS3 on two separate occasions.  Once the header bolts were loose, and once the header gasket was bad and required replacement.

• 4 weeks later...
scottcolbath
On 12/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, Chameleon said:

Any progress?

I had this issue with my current LS3 on two separate occasions.  Once the header bolts were loose, and once the header gasket was bad and required replacement.

I vote for this answer. I've seen it many times.

S.C.