Who's racing with me Mondo track 11/23?

velo-ct

I love the smell of brake dust in the morning, it smells like...Victory!

Weather is awesome its time to go road racing so I was wondering who is planning on being there? 

The event registration just opened today here is the link, green group is where you want to be if you are comfortable passing anywhere.  Insurance is available by the day, if you have no experience just sign up for the school.  One  day on the track will open your eyes and your only regret will be that you waited so long to learn to drive at speed.

http://www.new.proautosports.com/

Its a 3 day event at wild horse pass utilizing the Main+Bondurant=Mondo.  I'll be there on Friday the 23rd if anybody here is interested in road racing come on out and find me!   I teased some big  dogs off the porch to come spar with me but it would be nice to see some Vettes show up.  See you there!

Frank

15219514_1210459879012218_5755157461551225438_n.jpg

I’ve been there and done that!

It bacame very expensive what with $600 brake pads, $1,400 R compound tires

$1,600 2 pcs rotors yearly costs not to even touch on modifications and repairs as well as fluid changes

Oh sure,.....

it started out cheep enough. 

And it was addictive!

And I did love the competitive nature of the Green group. 

But it just ended up costing way too much

Mondo was my favorite track set up at wild Horse 

If you get the chance at Inde motor sports ranch in Wilcox make sure to sign up for that both configurations are fun but the fastest Track set up is most challenging at speed 140 down the straight away right sweeper and up hill reaching 120 ish then over the blind hill apply the brakes HARD and make the 90 degree right turn

if you can!

FUN!

Be Safe!!

SLAMMER😎

I'll miss chasing you around Slammer and thanks for the rotors, I burned them up for you. 

I tried to give it up...I tried to forget...I couldn't.       

I reflected, repented and rebuilt, now I am back for more WHO'S with me?   

Even if you are not running there will be some serious machines to see and they run hard.  Its a better show than the usual static displays.

Awesome Andy,  I look forward to meeting you and I hope you are bringing that custom tube whatchamacallit, my geeks will go wild.

I haven't been to Wild Horse since some idiot wiped out the right side of my '08 Vert on the West track.  Never had a chance to run Mondo so I might come out just to spectate...

chameleon

I am sorry to hear that you got hit, was that with pro auto sports or another club.?   west track is a waste of time it’s too tiny no room for passing mondo has literally miles of track to spread out on you will like it better.  

13 hours ago, velo-ct said:

chameleon

I am sorry to hear that you got hit, was that with pro auto sports or another club.?   west track is a waste of time it’s too tiny no room for passing mondo has literally miles of track to spread out on you will like it better.  

I am familiar with Mondo, just have never driven it.

I got hit in Pro Auto, Orange Group.  Just past the entrance from the pits where the track goes right before the two lefts onto the straight.  When I turned right into that corner, the guy behind me drove straight into the right side of my Vette.  If I hadn't been there, the line he was driving would have taken him right out into the dirt on the left side of the track.  It was his first session in Orange.  I heard later from the guys in Red Group that he was an arrogant jerk and they were glad when he left Red to move up to Orange.  Obviously I wasn't glad.  $10K+ worth of damage to my car.  I had a GoPro running my my car, and the guy behind the guy that hit me had a GoPro, so it was really clear what happened.   After that I ran at AMP and Inde a few times.  I LOVE Inde.  Unfortunately, my car was never the same after that accident and I eventually got rid of it.  Haven't raced since.  Too spendy, I'm retired now and can't afford it. :(

4 hours ago, Chameleon said:

I am familiar with Mondo, just have never driven it.

I got hit in Pro Auto, Orange Group.  Just past the entrance from the pits where the track goes right before the two lefts onto the straight.  When I turned right into that corner, the guy behind me drove straight into the right side of my Vette.  If I hadn't been there, the line he was driving would have taken him right out into the dirt on the left side of the track.  It was his first session in Orange.  I heard later from the guys in Red Group that he was an arrogant jerk and they were glad when he left Red to move up to Orange.  Obviously I wasn't glad.  $10K+ worth of damage to my car.  I had a GoPro running my my car, and the guy behind the guy that hit me had a GoPro, so it was really clear what happened.   After that I ran at AMP and Inde a few times.  I LOVE Inde.  Unfortunately, my car was never the same after that accident and I eventually got rid of it.  Haven't raced since.  Too spendy, I'm retired now and can't afford it. :(

Curious ---- Did the other driver pay for your damages?

Unfortunately 1 We will be at the dunes again for Thanksgiving and 2 My track car is not completed yet.

Soon but not soon enough

I blame you people getting me to come out for the ACE autocross.... Now... I keep busy fixing the broken or worn out stuff created by running track days all the time :) 

Got no time for this internet stuff!

22 hours ago, dale68z said:

I blame you people getting me to come out for the ACE autocross.... Now... I keep busy fixing the broken or worn out stuff created by running track days all the time :) 

Got no time for this internet stuff!

That means we can take credit for keeping you off the streets!  :smilelol

On 11/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, velo-ct said:

Dale I look forward to meeting you on the real track

Frank, what group will you be running in?

My friend, the "other"  Dale, will also be there with his blue 02 z06 race car. I think he is going topless. He used to run a 2012 zr1

My car is pretty noticeable, purple and yellow dirt track modified. It is kind of ridiculous.

IMG_20181119_123034388.jpg

Green group.  I hoped to have my big brakes in but wilwood was on the edge of the LA fires and closed for a few days so Ill be limping on stock calipers/rotors again.  Your machine looks light and fast, but...can it turn

right? 🙂

Alright it looks like the four of us from ACE will represent at the track.   There are a few other Vette drivers I know who usually show up as well.  See you there! 

I am always floored how hundreds of fast cars show up for cars and coffee and how few drivers feel the itch to learn to actually drive fast by showing up for track school.  IMHO it is a sad waste of engineering effort.

"There are only 3 sports, mountaineering, bullfighting and motor racing, all the rest are merely games" -Ernest Hemingway

2 hours ago, velo-ct said:

I am always floored how hundreds of fast cars show up for cars and coffee and how few drivers feel the itch to learn to actually drive fast by showing up for track school.  IMHO it is a sad waste of engineering effort.

I learned a lot when I was doing it a few years back.  It made me a better driver.  But, it's expensive, and the risk of having your car wiped out (by someone else) on the track is all too real.  Been there, done that.  :(   

10 hours ago, velo-ct said:

You first need to define the purpose of those cars and their owner's at cars and coffee or any similar gathering. After all, it is just a car show and not a staging point to go to a moving competition of some nature. I see three types of people at car shows. There are those who enjoy looking and learning, those who are there to socialize, and those who seek admiration. Once you eliminate all the cars that are strictly for exhibition, you need to classify the remainder into groups by the type of competition the owners actually enter. I'd guess there are very few that have a primary interest in road track racing, since the "fast" ones are not normally street driven.

To me, the sad part is those who spend time, money, and effort to have a car that has the capability of being competitive, yet fear to actually compete. You don't need 750 hp if the only purpose is to have a dyno sheet to put on your dash at a car show.

10 hours ago, velo-ct said:

I've been only at the track days level for 25 years and never had an incident so far but it definitely is expensive.   I tell everyone to avoid the intermediate group and try to qualify to go to expert because there are always guys there with the money to buy fast but have not invested in their own training so they are the most dangerous.   

The orange group has a lot of squirrels. But, I cannot remember the last time there has been car to car contact in the street groups... besides Donna's incident.

Friday and Saturday is completely full

There is a lot of room, and a much less busy track on Sunday. But there is no new members on Sunday

I will be there on Sunday with my son, who runs a Legends car.

I was thinking of the two McLarens who took each other out at AMP not long ago.  No regard for the laws of physics in the braking zone showed me he only had street experience.

That was an unforgetable one..... that I forgot.

I understood they both were owned by the guy who caused the accident. He had a line on entry that was a sure fail, even if there was not another car there. . Based on what I heard, he needed a "talking to" the event prior.  Pro Auto seems to do a good job addressing the problem children, IMO.

I wish they did downloads after each session, like other groups. That way the squirrels can get a come to Jesus meeting, an instructor, or the boot.

Most squirrels have no idea they are squirrels.

I was at Chuckwalla a few weeks ago. The owner did the drivers meeting. One thing that he said that really stood out to me is "If you put 2 or more tires off track, you have wrecked" 

IMG_20181111_153458049.jpg

• Like 1