Ar-15

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

I'm building an old school AR. I recently picked up a lower and the parts group. Put it all together tonight.

i-pLT8h2S-XL.jpg

S.C.

Looks like a good start.  I always wanted to have 2 or so extra lowers just in case.

Are you going 16" barrel, longer/shorter?  What's the rest of the plan for the furniture?

scottcolbath
1 hour ago, Drewstein said:

Looks like a good start.  I always wanted to have 2 or so extra lowers just in case.

Are you going 16" barrel, longer/shorter?  What's the rest of the plan for the furniture?

I'm going for old school A2 look. 20" barrel, fixed upper, or worst case scenario, upper with removable carry handle. Solid stock. Basically, just like someone would have used in the Army, back in the 70s-80s.

I'm not going for exact period correctness. I just want the look.

S.C.

Sounds good. Since that's not the in thing right now you can probably find the gear from someone's rifle cheap and have something timeless.

Is that an 80% lower? I built one or year or two ago in 308. Lotta fun. 

scottcolbath
On 7/27/2018 at 9:06 AM, 1jester said:

Is that an 80% lower? I built one or year or two ago in 308. Lotta fun. 

If by 80%, you mean an incompletely machined lower, the answer is no. It's a completely machined lower. I had to run the background check, and all that shit.

Fast forward to today. This afternoon, my girlfriend and I were visiting with a long time friend of mine. As a matter of fact, he is the guy who started me on my first AR build, almost 20 years ago. Back then he lit a fire inside me, which was a love for the old school style ARs. My last AR was basically an A2 style build, but I'd toss on the triangular had guards my friend gave me (along with round guards), just because I loved that look. The spartan look of an old school AR just always stuck with me. And that is why I am trying to do it again. And my friend just made it a whole shitload easier.

i-j6W7Jgr-XL.jpg

With my built lower:

i-LxZ7sqC-XL.jpg

This is a Colt upper, properly marked ("C" markings") on the upper receiver and barrel. And this is exactly what I was hoping to build (honestly never thinking I could source A1 upper parts, which was my honest, and original hope). I could not be happier.  I'm going to take down the entire assembly, clean and inspect it, then reassemble. Tonight I also ordered the proper A1 fixed stock/buffer tube assembly. Can't wait to get this thing out to the range and sight it in. Oh, and the price on the upper....... $300.

scottcolbath
On 7/26/2018 at 8:21 PM, Drewstein said:

Sounds good. Since that's not the in thing right now you can probably find the gear from someone's rifle cheap and have something timeless.

Oddly enough, since nobody gives a shit about old school looks, it's not that simple. But my buddy made life a whole lot easier today.

In the end, I'll have a spartan seven pound rifle that will shoot straight, and not be littered with modern 'tactical' bling.

S.C.

I went for a long range with a 20 inch Anderson barrel, geisel trigger, and a lot of other gizmos. Did a digital Ceracoat for the surface.

18257B48-3040-481C-9620-2B750CB39B0A.jpeg

scottcolbath
On 7/31/2018 at 1:43 PM, 1jester said:

I went for a long range with a 20 inch Anderson barrel, geisel trigger, and a lot of other gizmos. Did a digital Ceracoat for the surface.

18257B48-3040-481C-9620-2B750CB39B0A.jpeg

A zombie hunter. Nice.

My stock and buffer assembly arrived today. Brownell's had the A1 type stock (shorter than A2) and buffer for under $100.  I'll have a working AR for this weekend.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Took the completed gun out to C2 today for some test shooting. It performed flawlessly. I'll deal with 300M sighting later, out at Ben Avery.

S.C.

Did you go to the New c2 in north Scottsdale? I haven’t been there yet.

3 hours ago, 1jester said:

There was a young lady at C2 tent at cars and coffee giving away 50% off cards. She was open carrying too, sexy.

I haven't it made it to Scottsdale C2 yet either. Soon though,.

scottcolbath
6 hours ago, 1jester said:

Yup. That's where we went. I hate indoor ranges,  but it was fine for testing the new gun.

Not cheap. $20 an hour.

S.C.

scottcolbath
3 hours ago, SixAddict said:

There was a young lady at C2 tent at cars and coffee giving away 50% off cards. She was open carrying too, sexy.

I haven't it made it to Scottsdale C2 yet either. Soon though,.

I was at C&C on Saturday. I asked her what time they opened, and she never offered me a friggin' card!!

S.C.

16 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

I was at C&C on Saturday. I asked her what time they opened, and she never offered me a friggin' card!!

S.C.

Wow, when my wife and I stopped by that was the first thing she gave us were the discount cards, maybe she ran out. 

I agree 20 bucks an hour aint cheap but this time of the year it's cooler than running out in the desert...

scottcolbath
On 8/7/2018 at 7:18 AM, SixAddict said:

Wow, when my wife and I stopped by that was the first thing she gave us were the discount cards, maybe she ran out. 

I agree 20 bucks an hour aint cheap but this time of the year it's cooler than running out in the desert...

Yeah. I used to hit up Ben Avery right when they opened in the summer, just to avoid the heat. Actually, I'd do that almost all the time. It used to get crowded out there very early. I haven't been in over 15 years, but I'll be going back some time soon.

S.C.