What would YOU do.....?

Casper

Good evening everyone!

I am new to the forum,but a grey beard gear head none the less. I have a serious question for you, and thank you in advance for your input.

I recently purchased a 1978  L82/automatic with less than 30K original miles. It has sat neglected for as least 16 years....mostly outside and uncovered. Needless to say, it will require LOTS of attention.

My question is....do I restore it as much as possible to its original state, or am I over thinking the fact that it is low mileage and mostly original?

Again,thank you for your thoughtful input!

Casper

I think the first step is determining how you want to use the car - meaning, what is going to bring you the most joy of ownership? Are you a hands-on person, where you are looking forward to the challenge of working on the car, and would that be your main source of enjoyment?  Is your ultimate goal to attend shows and enjoy others appreciating a restored car? Or, are you more interested in driving the car, actively enjoying it by going on cruises or road trips? Do you see yourself ever drag-racing or auto-cross?  Decide what you would enjoy doing the most, and that will tell you what direction to take.  Good luck with your project, and welcome to ACE!

It's going to cost more than it'll ever be worth to restore it to showroom original. 

I say make it into the kind of car you want to drive. 

Get it running and safe. Wash it and then go have fun. It is low hp and not worth the restore. I have an '82 that was in the same shape. I take it and beat the snot out of it, grin ear to ear then go home. ENJOY! Oh yeah.....MAKE IT LOUD!!

Thank you to all who replied! 

Current thinking is a mild 383 and converting her to a 4 or 5 speed manual and repainting.

As far as loud.....my wife is thinking side pipes.....😀

Casper

2 hours ago, Casper said:

As far as loud.....my wife is thinking side pipes.....😀

You can't beat side pipes to not hear what your wife is telling you!!!!  👍

Bromley's Corvettes

RestoMod it 383 FI 5-speed or built over drive auto 17s 18s Vintage air Wilwood brakes QA1 coil overs drive the shit out of it enjoy it have loads of fun going new places meeting new people:) Stop by my shop to see some examples of what can be done. 

9 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Side pipes, yes!!! :yesnod

:agree IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.baf37d4e4defac7983595861bf555b37.JPG

Make sure to remove the baffles....

12 hours ago, JohnU said:

You can't beat side pipes to not hear what your wife is telling you!!!!  👍

As strange as it may be, my wife is STILL my best friend after almost 20 years of marriage. She is just as excited as I am to have a new project.

10 hours ago, Bromley's Corvettes said:

RestoMod it 383 FI 5-speed or built over drive auto 17s 18s Vintage air Wilwood brakes QA1 coil overs drive the shit out of it enjoy it have loads of fun going new places meeting new people:) Stop by my shop to see some examples of what can be done. 

Thank you for the invite. I WILL be stopping by in the near future. You aren't very far from me. 

• Like 1

chevyguy1969

Another vote for side pipes . Use  the turbo spiral inserts they keep the car loud but easy to ride in. Also put some heat shields on them or she won't ride in after the burnt leg happens.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chevyguy1969 said:

Another vote for side pipes . Use  the turbo spiral inserts they keep the car loud but easy to ride in. Also put some heat shields on them or she won't ride in after the burnt leg happens.

:lol you just reminded me of the leg burns.......more than one of my girlfriends melted stockings on those things.......forgot about that......getting old sucks, second thing to go is your mind, can't remember what the first thing is.:cheers

Yup! Git'r running and enjoy 'er.  Show cars aren't all that fun anyway...can't drive em anywhere.

• Like 1

Bromley's Corvettes

I hear that show cars are nice but nice drivers are more fun:)

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, Ted Y said:

It's going to cost more than it'll ever be worth to restore it to showroom original. 

I say make it into the kind of car you want to drive. 

Ted is right. Its like a T-bucket project... The best one to buy is the one already done for 1/2 the cost it would cost for you to build one. Unless the car was free or next to free the cost to get it back to original yikes.....

Yes it may be nice to buy one done, BUT you are not ever sure what you are buying until well after paying for it.  The other option, if you have the time, knowledge, and place to do the work, is to do the job yourself and that way you will have what you want and can only blame yourself if something is not done the way you want it done.

Good luck and enjoy what you decide to do with it.

Because it's been "exposed" as it has ..... there will likely be a lot of underside work that will be necessary ..... need to think about all the suspension joints, steering joints, hoses (brakes, etc) that will likely need attention.  As for drive train, engine & tranny upgrades are fun ... these things scat like crazy with an improved SBC.  You mite consider upgrading the tranny to a 700R4 .... no clutch is a blessing as we get older IMO.

Sounds like a fun project .........have fun and enjoy ........... 

and welcome to :ACE:

On 8/6/2018 at 2:11 PM, LastC3 said:

Because it's been "exposed" as it has ..... there will likely be a lot of underside work that will be necessary ..... need to think about all the suspension joints, steering joints, hoses (brakes, etc) that will likely need attention.  As for drive train, engine & tranny upgrades are fun ... these things scat like crazy with an improved SBC.  You mite consider upgrading the tranny to a 700R4 .... no clutch is a blessing as we get older IMO.

Sounds like a fun project .........have fun and enjoy ........... 

and welcome to :ACE:

It will need LOTS of love to be put back on the road. I have parts arriving every day. Motor and trans are coming out soon. Rebuilding entire suspension before the power train goes back in. Plans call for a mild, aluminium headed 383 with a 5 speed manual. My wife and I are going to Pomona swap meet in October to see what we can find.....

Thank you all for your input!

Bromley's Corvettes

I was very disaponted in the Pomona swap meet last time I went years ago. Mainly old junk and very little for vettes. It was a waist of time for me.