Paint Chips

Pamela RDH

Pamela RDH

I have a few minor paint chip and 2 larger chips that make me cringe when I see them.  Any recommendations for fixing yourself? Or a shop that can take care of them. I have the factory touch up paint already. 

Also any recommendations for shops doing the clear fron bra application after?

I was going to recommend Dr. Colorchip, but you have a touchup kit already.  The technique is really nothing more small dabs of paint in the chip, and then you take your fingernail to the edge of the chip/paint dab to remove excess.   Don't try to fill the chip flush first time, better to build up a layer until your flush.  The process isn't perfect but when compared to a total professional touch up which would probably cost anywhere from $600 - $1000 the results are often acceptable enough.  If you are going to clear bra over the chips you'll probably find that the chip repairs are sufficient anyway, the clear bra will help mask the repairs

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ted, the video (Amazon) on using the paint pen really shows why the pen adds value - for most of us the dealer paint bottle brush is very hard to control.  Thanks for sharing.

Ted, I usually try to sand down the chip edges to allow for a smoother area to paint into.  I noticed the video doesn't mention that.  Do you find it helpful or not?

I do not.

I feel chip repair is always a band aid type fix more than a permanent one. The chip repair will always look like a repair, in my opinion. The goal is to improve the look until a repaint can be done. I also avoid sanding factory paint if I can. The pen helps get just the right amount of paint into the chip. 

Sanding would also require buffing to remove the sanding marks.

• 1 month later...

Bob fixed the paint on my last corvette. I’m not sure what he did but it was perfect.  

Ive tried to fill in chips on my own before and they looked horrible. The product itself matters of course, but the skill of the person applying it matters just as much.