Keeping My LS2 Cool

Tim

How's every one?

2007 version of the LS2 - what should the coolant temps run?   recently it's been tough to keep it under 200 degrees.  Flushed the system and still running too hot.  Water pump is just two years old - no leaks.

I run a 196 Thermostat, thinking I should run a 160.  Can the fan be adjusted to run faster while driving and then run a bit longer after the car is off?

Thanks

I believe 200-210* is fine so don't panic about sub 200* temps.  The car can run much hotter before anything bad happens, not that I would push it.  Plenty of guys are running in the 220s because of air flow etc. for comparison.

OMG, Tim posted!  :howdy

My LS3 runs about 195, unless I'm sitting in traffic with the A/C on, then gets up around 205/210.  Don't know how that compares to your LS2.

From experience with prior cars, I do recommend the cooler thermostat, and there is something with the computer that can be done to improve cooling.  I had a LS1 years ago that was running hot and NicD did some tweaking with it and the heating problems vanished.  

• Like 1

I have the same issue on 110 degree plus days driving in town. I drive around it by keeping the revs below 2500 rpm with 2 - 4 - 6 shifts.

I believe the fan speed and duration are programmable via the tune though and might be worth a try.

Andy

Running 220 at times when using the paddle shifters and AC on, doesn't stay there long but that's about the hottest I see it go this is an LS3. Gonna look at the fan option with my Tech2 see if they can be adjusted, seems they run about 10 minutes after car is parked in the garage. 

Seems to run cooler when not using the paddle shifters but that's no fun.....

Your radiator cooling fans won’t even kick on until 226 under non ac run conditions 

Wash out the fins on the radiator and the ac condenser real good, that will help you about all you need. You seem to be running temps that are within design parameters 

joe@cpr.com

220 is normal operating Temps. You're under that so don't worry about it. This isn't old school stuff. 

7 hours ago, joe@cpr.com said:

220 is normal operating Temps. You're under that so don't worry about it. This isn't old school stuff. 

Newer engines run hotter to allow for less emissions. Or so I hear

joe@cpr.com
4 hours ago, az57chevy said:

Newer engines run hotter to allow for less emissions. Or so I hear

Correct, but old school engines would have other issues running at 220. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  Yup I'm still around.  Now a History teacher.  My Vette is now over 105k miles.   Only problems with it has been blower motor - 3 times now.  Just put a new stage 2 clutch in it.

Thanks again.

Tim

1 hour ago, joe@cpr.com said:

Why do you keep going through motors? 

Blower motors - for the heat and A/C.  

14 hours ago, Tim said:

Thanks for all the replies.  Yup I'm still around.  Now a History teacher.  My Vette is now over 105k miles.   Only problems with it has been blower motor - 3 times now.  Just put a new stage 2 clutch in it.

Thanks again.

Tim

I've been a little hesitant to ask female teachers. So when that #REDforED thing was going on, were you ever asked if the "ED" was for Erectile Dysfunction?

BTW, a 160 stat, turning the fan on sooner (I start 20% at 192 and stage to 90% at 203), running 70% water to 30% coolant, and an annual cleaning of the radiator and evaporator with a water wand, will keep you cooler. The key is airflow at idle or low speeds.

No, but if it's something you need to talk about ...we are all here for you!!!!👀

Thanks for the additional information.   I did pull off all the intake plastic and give the radiator and A/C a good hosing down last night ..I'll take her out for a bit today.

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim said:

No, but if it's something you need to talk about ...we are all here for you!!!!👀

POST OF THE DAY!!!!    :smilelol