C5 pop up headlight repair

1jester

everything I own doesn’t pop up anymore LOL. Can anybody recommend or do a gear repair on a C-5 pop up headlight? 

Just for the heck of it.  Go out and lift the hood, then twist each of the headlight knobs half a turn counterclockwise.  See if your lights come up now.  This is a problem I have had, even after complete repair of the headlight gears.  Let us know if this does anything for ya.

If Dave’s suggestion doesn’t work let me know. I did my C5 when I had it. I’d suggest ordering the metal gears.  

Went out this morning and the headlight again worked. I tried Dave’s trick anyway and turn the knob counterclockwise. I’ll see if it continues to be a problem. I replaced one gear years ago so this must be the other.As the car is now semi retired, I’m wondering if they’re just some corroded electrical contacts.

Another suggestion is go see if these bumpers have any wear to them. If they do then just pull them off and flip them around 180. There's 4 per headlight but the 2 you're after are harder to get at. Of you can buy new ones from here:

C5 Headlight Bumpers

Amazon and other Vette stores have them also I see.

C5 Corvette Headlight Bumpers.jpg

7 hours ago, 1jester said:

Went out this morning and the headlight again worked. I tried Dave’s trick anyway and turn the knob counterclockwise. I’ll see if it continues to be a problem. I replaced one gear years ago so this must be the other.As the car is now semi retired, I’m wondering if they’re just some corroded electrical contacts.

So wait... if you replaced one with metal already, but neither were popping up, you’ve probably got an electrical issue. Bad ground or turn signal stalk or ????  They’re not tied together mechanically. If you have a bad gear in one, the other will typically still work fine. 

No, one was still working. I came home last night with one headlight up. It seems to be working today but I think I need to drive the car a little more often and turn the headlights on. Just to see if it’s a corrosion issue