spark plugs, daily driven in this heat

mellojoe

Are you all using anything different for spark plugs when considering this mega-heat that we get here in AZ?    

I've only been in Arizona about 3 years.  This is my first summer in my new-to-me Corvette.  She was beat up pretty badly by her previous owner, so I'm in the process of bringing her back up to spec.  Next on this list is plugs and wires.  I drive my Corvette nearly every day, and with temperatures climbing I've started thinking (overthinking, probably) about temperature range and gap.  Anybody share thoughts on hot intake air temp and spark plugs?  Or should I just pick up stock-replacement Iridiums, and be done with it?      

Just a newbie to both the LS2 with nearly 100,000 miles on it and 150*F intake temps.  If I'm going to replace plugs and wires, might as well do what makes sense for the car and the environment she lives in now.

If your engine is stock, I would stick with OEM spec plugs.  My Vettes have all been daily driven cars, (5 different ones over the last 10 years) and I've always had stock plugs with no problems.

Yep, stay stock. Learned this mostly by installing aftermarket plugs here an there over the years and having fouling issues soon thereafter 

plug wires: oem or upgrade to gm performance red wires. I don’t care who said you don’t need to reinstall the heat shields, reinstall the heat shields

Stock plugs and unless you are getting misfiring, leave the wires alone. You can do the $2 shroud prop to lower intake temps. It works OK with the LS2 filters, but a lot better with the LS3 one or going to a Vararam CAI.

scottcolbath
19 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Stock plugs and unless you are getting misfiring, leave the wires alone. You can do the $2 shroud prop to lower intake temps. It works OK with the LS2 filters, but a lot better with the LS3 one or going to a Vararam CAI.

What is this shroud prop you speak of?

S.C.

94transamgt

There use to be a deal for oem plugs and MSD wires that was reasonable. You might as well get wires, because as old as yours are some will likely break.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, scottcolbath said:

What is this shroud prop you speak of?

S.C.

The bottom front of the shroud is held in place by two plastic snap-in push pins toward the center. Pull those out and the shroud can be propped open to easily let outside air directly in to the filter.

Hardware consists of two 5" long 1/4-20 pieces of allthread, eight 1/4-20 nuts, and four 1/4 x 1 fender washers.

Put 4 nuts on each allthread near the center and then a washer on each side. Spread the shroud open and insert one end of the allthread in the shroud hole and the other end in the metal frame hole where the shroud was attached. Do that on the other side too. Then start running the nuts away from each other (2 one way & 2 the other) to spread the shroud open to about a 3" space. Then tighten the pairs of nuts against each other (aka jam nut) to hold the position. There will will be more than enough tension to hold the washers in place and not have any fear of the whole part falling out.

You can install this in 10 minutes and return it to stock in half that time.

If you want to keep dust out of the engine bay, you'll need something similar to Hallteck's Beehive.