C5 Windshield RE-DO

Grape Ape

Had my windshield replaced Saturday and the darn thing must have slipped a little. They put no tape on it since it has the retainers on the bottom is what he told me. It has a gap between the seal and the windshield now and he came out today to look at it. Said it didn't look like it slipped and he tried to move the seal on the top. Said it was adjustable, which I highly doubt. It didn't help one bit. He also said that when I put the top on and the seal is wavy or whatever he would replace the seal. So my question is, is there anyone in this area that can place the windshield in it's proper position so it will keep the water out and away from the window frame and surrounding areas so I won't have any water damage issues later on? It's actually embarrassing to have it show like this also. I know it will most likely cost me but I can't have it looking like this.

20180604_123345.jpg

20180604_123449.jpg

Insurance job???

Dear insurance company,

I am not happy, repair or replace to original condition

Love,

Mark

Uh Ya,call the insurance and have someone else do it right.

Did they bring all the replacement pieces or try and reuse the old parts?

Insurance job, yes. My decision, BAD....

Went and put the top on as he said and guess what? The seal doesn't move!!!! Imagine that!!! THEN....when I opened the drivers door to install the top I see this....so yes, they used the old stuff and couldn't even put it back the RIGHT WAY!!!! I'm so frustrated right now and couldn't sleep so I took the night off work.☹️😠

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 9.jpg

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 7.jpg

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 11.jpg

They need to reset it, they didn’t want to because the urethane has already cured. Almost impossible to redo without breaking the glass. Tell them bring a new one when they return. I would call your agent first Mark. Good luck.

Thanks, I will see what they say. To me though when he set the window in and then put the weather strip on, he had to have seen that gap there. Why didn't he try to adjust it then and there when the adhesive was still pliable? I'm going to email my adjuster this evening and see what he says. He's in Connecticut I believe.

Wow, that sucks!  Totally unacceptable, agree with Charlie that they need to start over from scratch with a new windshield.  Definitely get your agent involved.

Can you have a different glass company fix it?  I've had several Vette windshields replaced by Safelight, and they have always done an excellent job.

I think it needs to be totaled for sure. Who in their right mind would be seen in something like this????

Got in touch with Mike from Mike's Glass Worx that did it last time (2009) and we're going to see what can be done with it this weekend if his schedule allows it. Hope to have this done by the weekends end. Wish me luck.

When I had my C-5 glass replaced they said they had to use all new seals. That may be the problem as the old seals are stretched out.

He had the new seal and elected to not use it for some reason. Quite honestly I don’t really think he knew what he was doing. Get it done and get it done fast. Didn’t care about quality. Lemon law? Maybe, but I still have another try to get it right. It’s 3 and out right? See what happens with Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

THIS WINDSHIELD IS CLEAN.....says the lady from that poltergeist movie...lol

Went out into the garage and did a little inspection on my windshield installation AGAIN....Only took 3 weeks to get it right. The general manager finally had to come out with another tech to get it done yesterday. Now it's done and I can get it all put back together again on Friday when I have a day off and some spare time. Windshield is in the right place and they installed a new seal like they charged me for on the original invoice. I kinda made sure they had to use a new seal this time...leaving.gif...Sure glad this is over and I can move on now. I did learn my lesson on this and that's stick with who you know and trust OR recommendations from people you know and trust. I tried to get Mike that did it last time but he doesn't venture across the I-17 very often and didn't want to. Don't blame him really so I guess I won't be able to use him next time unless I cross it when I need another one. I should have it all back together before the 30th so I should be able to attend the show on that date. Now to get that A/C compressor changed sometime......maybe when it cools off again. I'm really procrastinating on that job for some reason.

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 13.jpeg

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 14.jpeg

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 12.jpeg

C5 Corvette Windshield Replacement - 15.jpeg

I'll be there. 

Nothing like getting home from work, get cleaned up and a shower, get dressed for the day and then go into the garage to work on the car and sweating all over again....but it's back together and just needs a little cleaning up now. Do that tomorrow. I did take it for a drive after getting it together and didn't have any issues. No air leaks or air noises. Don't know if it will leak water or not as I don't wash it or put water on it. Maybe if I get caught in a rain shower I'll find out. Have a great weekend y'all...

Well, I had a couple cameras in the garage while "Ryan" worked on my car again and finally got a chance to veiw them. I'll tell ya what, that guy is a real peice of work. You should hear some of the things he said.....for shame!!! Also the guy that came to help him is a real winner also. They have no concept of quality work or respect for their surroundings. They were throwing and setting tools onto my engine bay and fenders. Luckily I had the forsite to cover them with towels before they got there. I went and looked after I saw the video and luckily there wasn't any marks anyplace I could see off hand. I really wish I would have been able to talk to that guy the second time he came out but I was sleeoing for work so he had to deal with my wife. He even called his boss after she went into the house and was stating we were trying to blame him for the seal being ripped and that we told him the window had slide down. NOT the case, he didn't have his facts straight. I told his boss that the window was put in the wrong place and needed to be moved up a 1/4 inch so the seal would work properly, I never said it sllide down. I also told him to bring a new seal since it WILL NEED one, I made sure it did need one. They charged my insurance company for a new seal for the price of $860 that they never installed the 1st time, that's why I made sure they'd have to change it the 2nd time. If anyone on here is looking for a window place, please go to someone else. You'll regret every minute you have with them. I am SOOOO glad this is over. Learn from my mistake people....If you've dealt with this company before and have had a good experience, good for you but I wouldn't trust them with anything of mine ever again.

Just for reference here is the companies address:

ADG Auto Glass & Tint

314 S. Mill Ave.

Tempe, Arizona 85282

I think I'd share that video with your insurance company if they were the ones to recommend them. Sounds like they need to NOT be on any preferred list 

It wasn't anyone's recommendation. It was my own screw up. I was at Corvettes & Caddies in May and they were there. It was my own fault for not doing my research and I just said yeah, let's go ahead and set it up. I should have just stuck with references from people I trusted. She said they had done quite a few Vettes so I trusted her. Live and learn....

• 3 years later...

hello

Sorry for bump this tread but i would like to know if someone or maybe mrhusker could help me with the weatherstrip of my corvette c5 2000

I live in France and i'm searching for the front weatherstrip cause mine is old and give some leaks with the top panel

So i would like to change it (windshield is good) but it seem impossible to find it

If someone could help me about it or give me an adress to order it and send it to France it will be very helpfull !

Regards

Antoine

I've done a little internet search and that seal is very hard to find. When I had my windshield replaced, the company that replaced it brought a new one with them. So I'm not sure where they got it from. Have you tried contacting any GM dealers or any GM parts sites? Maybe check on the National Corvette Forum and see if anyone might have an idea for you. Other than that I'm not sure.

Maybe try these guys and see what they have.

Corvette Rubber

thx to you, i try with their compagny

it's very dangerous because if i don't have solution, i think i will sell it before something comming to me or my car ... i've done so many modification so it"s very disapointing