Replacing C5 LED Tail Light Bulbs

Grape Ape

I’m looking for someone that is able to change out a couple bulbs for me on my C5 Halo LED tail lights. If anyone knows anyone that is comfortable working with a circuit board, solder and the 4 wire LED bulbs, let me know. I’ve never done any circuit board work or LED bulb changes so I’m not that confident in my abilities with it just yet. I have 1 light that neeeds 2 or 3 bulbs replaced. The new bulbs are still on a new circuit board and will need to be removed from that and placed onto the old board. I don’t have pictures of what I need done just yet but I will get some after the car show tomorrow afternoon. When I get home I will post a picture of the new circuit board with the new bulbs on it so you know what I’m looking at. Any shops around that wil be willling to look at this for me? Preferably on the east side of the valley.

These are the bulbs that are on the new strip I have that need to be removed and installed onto the tail light strip in the light already. Does anyone know if VetteSthetics is still in business and if so, does he do repairs or just custom stuff?

For some reason it's loading the image vertically.

20180420_081121.thumb.jpg.b015e32959e66e5092e4664156097147.jpg

This is the right side that is working properly.

20180420_081243.thumb.jpg.272fc048463d002bb4090f77564bf5d8.jpg

This is the right side that needs a little help. Should only need 2 bulbs replaced but it will need to be checked to make sure there are no others out.

20180420_081229.thumb.jpg.4a83400c1e54ba528ef47099437eb31b.jpg

C'mon Mark! You're an aircraft mechanic and you can't change a few bulbs?  Have you spent too much time, fixing crappers in the jets? :smilelol

I am going to give it a shot. But like I said, I've never messed with circuit boards or LED bulbs. Not my forta. Crappers are, or things that are mechanical. Electrons kinda intimidate me.

I never done it but took HS Electronics class. Circuit boards were very new. Most devices still had tubes. The thing they preached was don’t heat the circuit board, heat the wire or whatever you’re attaching.  Sorry I can’t be more help. 

Thanks for the info Eddie. I found that out today also at the car show I was at. To do it correctly one needs a micro soldering iron or something like that and I don't have that in my arsenal.....YET. I'm still going to do some research and decide whether I want to try it myself or not. BUT, I'm still open to if anyone else wants to tackle it for me, I won't stand in your way....:yesnod....I have some money!!!!

Mark, can't you just find someone that is a vender on the big board and see if they will do repair for you?

That's what I've been doing whenever I need a repair done with them. I've been using RadioFlyer but for some reason beyond our control, there always seems to be 1 or 2 out when I get them back the last couple times. Probably from shipping mishaps and throwing the box around because we all know they do that. I always pack them in foam and that bubble wrap stuff but is never fails. That's why I've been looking for someone local if possible to eliminate the shipping part. I'm going to check with Classic tomorrow and see if maybe they know someone. I would think they would have used someone for this purpose before, but I've been wrong before.

radio is where i got mine too. Seems like he would be understanding about shipping then back for repair.  good luck with tgat.

Okay, I'm getting more and more comfortable with maybe doing this myself....maybe.....maybe not....

I built myself a test circuit to be able to use a 9 volt battery with so I won't have to keep plugging into the car all the time to test the light out. I'm still hesitant about heating the bulbs up and removing them from the board but I may give it a shot. If I do, I'll let you know how it went, good or bad...

Tomorrow I will be setting up my new computer I had built for me so I don't think I'll be able to get to this light thing until next weekend. I'm actually doing this to keep the tension for you guys at it's highest level because I know you're all stressing out with the outcome and whether I can do it or not. Keeps that adrenaline up because that's good for ya...:unsure:blink

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, things have taken a turn for the worse unfortunately. When I took the light out of the car, went to hook it to my new test lead and one of the wires on the connector broke off. So I now have no way to test it until that gets fixed. I contacted RadioFlyer about the connector and he said to just send it in. So it looks like I will be having him do the repairs THIS time again. I looked for that 4 wire connector he has on these lights but couldn't find anything. So I'm kind of stuck with sending it in. I will check my test lead and see if it will work for these halo LED tail lights when I get it back though. If it doesn't work with these lights, I'll have to come up with something else to be able to check them with.

20180423_071318.jpg

Well, that kinda sucks.  :(

Nice you have an alternative, but I hear  your frustration that competent repair by a vendor is subsequently sabotaged by incompetent shipping.  :wtf:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Two Fangs said:

Donna, you need to talk to Ted about your rear end illumination

Yes, I've heard my ass isn't shiny enough. . .

9 hours ago, Ted Y said:

I posted a topic about replacing the bulbs with super bright LEDs. A year or so ago.

I have that thread bookmarked so if I ever decide to do anything different, those are the ones I'll be installing.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, Chameleon said:

Well, that kinda sucks.  :(

Nice you have an alternative, but I hear  your frustration that competent repair by a vendor is subsequently sabotaged by incompetent shipping.  :wtf:

Totally agree with that. He said he bench checked the light last time I had it repaired and I believe him. BadBob would be able to attest to this I think, those UPS guys/gals do throw the items around. We all know this.

Relax, my old man is television repairman, he has an ultimate set of tools.  I can fix it........

Just trying to add some levity, sorry to hear about your woes.  Hope you get is resolved soon 

1 hour ago, Two Fangs said:

I see the copy pasta fairy has visited us...

Quite possibly, could also be the military fairy:

• Haha 1