My pile of junk c7s and vettes in general

aenigma

On 8/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, aenigma said:

The tech just called. 

The whining is actually the AC compressor going out. 

The motor mounts are bad. 

The transmission harness wire is bad. 

How does a motor mount go bad in 24k miles....

wtf. 

Lemon - must have been built on a Monday following a 3-day weekend. . .

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my car back last night. I started it and it sounded like a jalopy. 3 times. I pulled it up to the bay. The mechanic came out and it was fine of course. I did have to floor it and so did he for it to accelerate. Every couple times I accelerate in park, it takes its sweet time to get some gas. The rear end is still humming. 

I took it home instead of leaving it again because I’m just tired of the situation at this point. If I turn my music up on the freeway, it drowns out the whine. 

I’m frustrated. I love the look of the car, I love the power, but sadly I’m ready to trade in for something I can rely on. The 2 years I’ve had it, it’s spent 2 months and a half in repair and it’s still not right. 

A c5 or 6 is probably where I’m headed in the next few months. 

Get you a caddy CT6-Vsport. Twin Turbo 5.5 Liters @about 550HP. Just as fast as the vette but you can haul 5 peeps. I just bought a 19 CT6 Sport, Twin Turbo 3.0 liter AWD and it runs like a V8 but the gas mileage of a v6. This is what Julie and me took on our latest road trip and I averaged 29 MPG over the course of 5000 miles. It has a 10 speed with manual mode and paddle shifters to boot.

9 minutes ago, Extender32 said:

Get you a caddy CT6-Vsport. Twin Turbo 5.5 Liters @about 550HP. Just as fast as the vette but you can haul 5 peeps. I just bought a 19 CT6 Sport, Twin Turbo 3.0 liter AWD and it runs like a V8 but the gas mileage of a v6. This is what Julie and me took on our latest road trip and I averaged 29 MPG over the course of 5000 miles. It has a 10 speed with manual mode and paddle shifters to boot.

Noooooooo.  I’ve never owned a 4 door car in my life other than an SUV I bought as a second car to haul around Girl Scouts and my daughters friends years ago. 

You lost me at “hauling 5 peeps”. Back when I had to have back seats in my 2 doors, they were 2+2. My kids would complain, then repeat the household vehicle phrase  “Style and horsepower  before comfort”. Now that the kids are grown, if it has more than 2 seats, I can’t handle it. 

I am looking seriously at the Supra.  But like the c8, the hype is so crazy that I apparently am not even allowed to touch one. It’ll be perfect timing for me because my warranty is up in 7,000 miles. I’ve looked at c5s and c6s and I can probably get one quite reasonably if I wait for the perfect deal. 

So back to a work vehicle and a Vette for a fun vehicle. 

Truth be known, it hasn’t been a total joy to get in my Vette and go for a run on the weekends because I’m in it all week. I’m looking forward to having a weekend car i can beat up on the streets. 

So I am working on this fabulous plan and waiting is not my thing. Im chomping at the bit right now to see how it all unfolds. 

32 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

Get a C6 ZR1 and be happy. . .  :burnout

:agree  I've seen some pretty decent deals on ZR1's.......happy shopping.

This thread is making me dizzy.  So, did you ever pursue (not that you should have to) taking this over to Ed at Coulter Caddy?  Sounds like you now have had issues with 2 different Chevy dealerships not being able to deal with the issues, so I say give it the "3 strikes and they're out" and try Coulter.  Couple reasons: 1) Ed has a very sympathetic ear and really tries to help folks of the Corvette variety, he still has his as I recall.  2) Cadillac tends to have better service techs, they're a higher end car and GM makes them have more training (as I recall).  They can't afford to have the just graduated from AAI type techs

Anyway, if Coulter or another dealer can't address the issues and get you happy, I think you then have legal rights after 3 dealers to throw the middle finger at GM, have it declared a lemon, and demand a different car

1 hour ago, TheCMSH said:

This thread is making me dizzy.  So, did you ever pursue (not that you should have to) taking this over to Ed at Coulter Caddy?  Sounds like you now have had issues with 2 different Chevy dealerships not being able to deal with the issues, so I say give it the "3 strikes and they're out" and try Coulter.  Couple reasons: 1) Ed has a very sympathetic ear and really tries to help folks of the Corvette variety, he still has his as I recall.  2) Cadillac tends to have better service techs, they're a higher end car and GM makes them have more training (as I recall).  They can't afford to have the just graduated from AAI type techs

Anyway, if Coulter or another dealer can't address the issues and get you happy, I think you then have legal rights after 3 dealers to throw the middle finger at GM, have it declared a lemon, and demand a different car

Its been 3 lol. This dealer is great to work with. They wanted me to leave it last night. I just couldn’t. GM has sent them an outdated transmission harness which went bad right away so they demanded the updated harness which I have now. 

GM will battle to the end as I found out when I tried before. 

Keep the faith.  There are tens of thousands of issue free C7’s.  Your’s will get there!

• 2 weeks later...

When I had the DSA problems with my C7, 3 in all, putting in the AFM disabler after 3rd new DSA made all the difference in the world. Transmission shifting problem gone, no more clunking noises, and still getting 28 MPG when driving like a normal person on rare occasion. I highly recommend the AFM disabler for all C7 stingray owners. 

A - Anytime 

F - Four Cylinder

M - Mutilates Car

I think that is what Chevrolet meant for the acronym! 

On 9/4/2019 at 10:11 PM, Footsam said:

When I had the DSA problems with my C7, 3 in all, putting in the AFM disabler after 3rd new DSA made all the difference in the world. Transmission shifting problem gone, no more clunking noises, and still getting 28 MPG when driving like a normal person on rare occasion. I highly recommend the AFM disabler for all C7 stingray owners. 

A - Anytime 

F - Four Cylinder

M - Mutilates Car

I think that is what Chevrolet meant for the acronym! 

I was reading about that last year, it had great reviews. I’ll try it. Thanks! 

• 11 months later...

Strangely enough, I ran across a GM service bulletin that explains the technical side of the C7 8 speed transmission issues and what they claim is the fix. I don't know if your's is eligible for this, but it certainly won't hurt to try, since it applies to all A8 trans from 2014 to feb 1 2019 and I heard the dealers do it for free.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/18-NA-355 latest (2) April 2020.pdf

1 hour ago, HOXXOH said:

Strangely enough, I ran across a GM service bulletin that explains the technical side of the C7 8 speed transmission issues and what they claim is the fix. I don't know if your's is eligible for this, but it certainly won't hurt to try, since it applies to all A8 trans from 2014 to feb 1 2019 and I heard the dealers do it for free.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/18-NA-355 latest (2) April 2020.pdf

hoxxoh!  Lonnie and I were just talking about you the other day. Wondering how you and Joyce are doing. 
The link doesn’t work. Can you send to my email? Moniqueallan@yahoo.com. 

23 minutes ago, P51tj said:

HOLY CRAP!  That’s exactly it. 

the explanation in that article is right on - a person on there said it feels like he was being hit by a car. I’ve described it as being thrown into tomorrow. 
I love my Vette now but it sure took a lot of pain and suffering with GM about this to get there. 
my pinging miraculously stopped pinging about 2,000 miles ago. Maybe the car just took 38,000 miles to break in. 😂

Thank you. I feel like finally it’s out there and I don’t look like a whiny crybaby having been carrying on with my Vette woes in this thread. 

• Like 1

I have a 17 GS C7 and after about 3 months of owning and driving it I was feel some of the same issues as described in the gmauthority blog.   I have had this replacement fluid done by GM under the warranty of the certified used car.  It was a 2 day process but it appears to have correct the issues.  The Vette had about 15000 miles on it when it was done. 

The procedure was like this:   Hot Vette to dealer

Let it sit to cool down

Drain transmission  

Put in new fluid

Drive Vette about 20 miles or so to bring fluid to operating temp, technician fun time

Let it cool down

Drain fluid from transmission

Put new fluid in again

Drive Vette to check operation and bring fluid to operating temp, technician still having fun 

Deliver back to happy customer

• Like 2

This procedure is exactly what the Ford procedure was to (sounds like) cure the funky shifting is would get on my previous 150

• Upvote 1