Big Tom

Motorcycle Tire Installer

Big Tom

Got tires delivered and my guy can't get me in.  Anyone got a recommendation for a tech in or near Surprise?

Car_Tire_003.jpg

Chameleon

Nearest one I can recommend is ProMotorSports at I-17 and Deer Valley Road.

Big Tom

Fedex dropped the tires Friday gonna start making calls today....

Dakotaz

Tom is that a car tire? If i remember their name correctly Mototire 13012 N Cave Creek Road put mine on. They didn't want to at first but I told them cash no receipt. Some shops don't like putting car tires on bikes. Cyn and I are taking the Vette out to lunch later today, if I am nearby I will try to go by the place to verify the correct name. Been a few years. 

Big Tom

The picture is a Car tire on my GW. The tires I need mounted are Mcy tires for my Valkyrie.

Big Tom

OK, I just called the Auto Hobby shop on Luke . They will mount and balance the tire..  Carry in price is $25..

Now to go get the wheel off the bike..

Dakotaz

I won't try to find the place that did mine then. Should be no problem to find someone closer to you. My buddies laugh at my car tire but i love it on my VTX. 

Ted Y

You're crazy, IMO, for mounting a car tire to a MC. They are designed differently and car tires aren't made to handle side loads like that under leaning. If you already know this, then carry on...

I'd hate to see you get hurt after a failure.

Big Tom
1 hour ago, Ted Y said:

You're crazy, IMO, for mounting a car tire to a MC. They are designed differently and car tires aren't made to handle side loads like that under leaning. If you already know this, then carry on...

I'd hate to see you get hurt after a failure.

The car tire (AKA Darkside) discussion has been going on for years. The tire in my OP now has about 14K on it.  It is a run flat so I no longer worry about a rapid deflation.

People who think I will crash and burn for running it will not be swayed.

People like me who run them, know that they have been proven safe to use.

JohnU

Tom,

That looks like a snow tire on the white fendered cycle!!!

Big Tom
9 hours ago, JohnU said:

Tom,

That looks like a snow tire on the white fendered cycle!!!

Correct. Michelin Alpin.  Going on recommendations from many Bike Forums. It's softer compounds and shape make it work on a bike..

Chameleon

Just curious; what is the advantage of running a car tire on your GW?

Big Tom
4 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Just curious; what is the advantage of running a car tire on your GW?

There are several.

The primary reason for me is safety. Having a Run-Flat tire eliminates the fear of rapid deflation. IE blow-out. My GW weighs in at 900 Lbs. When loaded up for a weeks tour we can approach 1500 Lbs.

The majority of Motorcycle flats are on the rear, which is where the car tire is, I still run a bike tire on the front.

This is followed by Mileage, the car tire will easily get double the miles of a Motorcycle tire. The difference in cost is there but it is not enough to trigger the change over.

I find a small difference in handling. If you search You Tube for "Yellow Wolf at deals gap" you will see that it is the rider not the tire that determines handling with a car tire on a bike..

Dakotaz

I agree with Tom on this one. I have been riding the Darkside for over ten years. I have not noticed any loss of handling and have scraped the pegs multiple times. My VTX comes in around 900 pounds as well since I added hard bags and fairing. Riding in a rain storm I feel much safer with the bigger patch on the pavement.