ARGH %$@#&%!!! Red Paint

Chameleon

Success!

Paint removal was ultimately accomplished with: lots of time, acetone, artist paint brush, cotton swabs, paper towels, lint free rag, and two "girl" tools - cuticle pusher and cuticle trimmer.  Acetone repeatedly applied with the paint brush over a small area (keeping the area wet) until the surface started to absorb the acetone, then agitate the surface with first cotton swabs, then paper towels, then lint free rag with cuticle pusher. This resulted in some smearing and roughening of the surface.  As surface started to become rough, gentle use of the cuticle trimmer enabled removal of tiny bits of paint.  Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. . .   No damage to the dash material. :facepalm:

20180413_182851.jpg

20180416_182116.jpg

• Like 1

Donna, from experience, I can tell you what NOT to do.  The black on those is a light coat of paint so if you try any kind of remover, it will leave you with a light gray part.  Easiest thing to do is lightly sand the letters and re-spray the parts with semi-flat black and then paint in the letters with yellow paint.  Otherwise, you can try CAREFULLY sanding just the red letters and then repaint with the yellow (too hard for me!).

5 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Next item on my red to yeller conversion list:

20180417_153718.jpg

2A98528B-6EDA-403D-B765-EFE09EB84004.thumb.jpeg.66c53ca948644959f727be3df38970f0.jpeg

SEE HOW YOUR NAILS MATCH YOUR CAR

SLAMMER😎

E1BE6A47-7EB1-4941-9577-566CFCB00A1C.thumb.jpeg.b36f1bef26d6659007a806f2de629a59.jpeg

• Haha 1

Azmotorhead

BTW I reecently saw someone on the Nat forum that was looking to trade GS calipers for red ones

I’m not sure how you get rid of the red but once you do I can tell you how they did my lettering. Per Michael and Joe they have a guy who does it. He puts the emblem in a vice perfectly level and then he fills the letters with paint using a syringe.  

8E97AC0A-AD62-4CDC-B229-82E7F6A81137.jpeg

Relax, my old man is television repairman, he has an ultimate set of tools.  I can fix it........

Just trying to add some levity, sorry to hear about your woes.  Hope you get is resolved soon 

• 1 month later...

Just completed the biggest project in ridding my Vette of RED - the brake calipers.

A HUGE :thankyou:  to SLAMMER for the use of his lift and assistance with things requiring strength I don't have.  

Calipers were removed, disassembled, and cleaned.  Hung up and painted.  Reinstalled, brake system bled.  The existing fluid was only a year old, and I was surprised how dark it was. 

red.jpg

yeller.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, and SLAMMER came up with this little trick for masking the bolt holes - it worked perfect!

mask.jpg

I'm sitting in North Miami at the time and missing my dry heat , omg this humidity sucks....

7 hours ago, SixAddict said:

More pointing is needed, I'm confused again.....

Sorry, I was too tired to point!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Dave!  Under the hood and interior are next (after I get an electronic glitch fixed and some new tires).  

21 minutes ago, Ted Y said:

What's under the hood? 

Lettering on the rail covers is red, changing to yeller. 

I want to do something attractive on the various reservoir caps - clutch, brake, power steering, etc., TBD.  The previous owner had awful cheesy covers stuck onto the caps with velcro.  I removed the covers and velcro, but there is some kind of fossilized glue gunk left on the OEM caps that so far has proved impossible to remove. It's just ugly. 

I would like a bit of other bling at some point (also TBD), but not in the budget this year.  Being retired now, I have a lot more time, and a lot less money. LOL!

• 9 months later...

I have an '82 that I am restoring. I need to paint the outside. It has glass T-tops. Body is in good condition, one small crack by a headlight to repair. Any suggestions on paint shops and what price range? I want a good paint job.

23 minutes ago, Sharon S said:

I have an '82 that I am restoring. I need to paint the outside. It has glass T-tops. Body is in good condition, one small crack by a headlight to repair. Any suggestions on paint shops and what price range? I want a good paint job.

Give Classic Gold in Tempe a call.  https://www.classicgoldauto.com/

Talk to Michael if he is available. 

Tell them you are an ACE member.