ARGH %$@#&%!!! Red Paint

Chameleon

Sooooo. . . my YELLER car had a previous owner who liked red accents (calipers, fender badges, etc.).  I don't like the red, and have begun a project to change whatever is red to yellow.

I am having a problem with the dash lettering on the passenger side airbag.  It's painted (?) red.  I have the molded, raised lettering in yellow to put in there, but I must get rid of the red first, or it will show around the edges and look like crap.

With this (attempted) removal, I am having nothing but frustration.  I don't want to damage my dash.  The red is very glossy and slippery.  I have tried 90% isopropyl alcohol, acetone, and even lacquer thinner to remove it, all to no avail.  

I am a bit annoyed now and running out of ideas. :banghead   Looking for suggestions on how to remove/nullify the red, and resulting in a surface to which I can adhere the new lettering.

I think what Charlie is eluding to, is paint over the red with black or gray, or whatever color your dash is.

The dash is black.  

I will try Goo Gone and also Goof Off - I didn't think of those two.

If neither of them work,  what kind of paint? 

57 minutes ago, az57chevy said:

WD40, let it soak in, grab it as it rolls down and dab it back on with a cloth.

Didn't think of that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Just put black tape over the whole name area. If you ever have a passenger who doesn't know they are riding in a Corvette, you can strip off the tape.

Another choice below. :lol

334.JPG

Black magic marker around the edges or fusion spray paint. (Spray into small container and use artist brush) I’ve had good luck with the marker on touch ups.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:56 PM, Blk n Blu said:

Black magic marker around the edges or fusion spray paint. (Spray into small container and use artist brush) I’ve had good luck with the marker on touch ups.

I already tried a black sharpie a couple of days ago.  No joy.  The sharpie just slid along the paint, leaving no appreciable black in its wake. :atwitsend:

I'll don't remember if I have a black magic marker, but if I do I'll give it a shot.

Oh hell Donna, you are retired and we all know retiree's are made of money, just go out and buy you a new yeller vette and be done with it. Lol

I can't buy a new yeller Vette.  I had a C7 and didn't like it,  remember?  :lol

I think I'll just stick with the "old" yeller one I've got. 

chevyguy1969

Uni paint marker gloss black works good for touch up work. Can at find craft stores or amazon.

9 hours ago, chevyguy1969 said:

Uni paint marker gloss black works good for touch up work. Can at find craft stores or amazon.

Good to know, thank you!

Progress with paint removal.  I know, demerits for not pointing, but I needed both hands to take the picture...

20180413_180745.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ted Y said:

Time consuming but a labor of love.

Yes. Thank you for your guidance, especially the part about taking a lot of time. Patience and perseverance are the two most valuable tools on this project. I've got about 5 hours into it already...:blink

Dam that paint must be glued into those letters. I wish you well. Patience is not one of my virtues unfortunately. I would have taken a wire wheel to it by now.:lol 

I Like it the way it looks now, you should save yourself the headache and leave it the way it is.