I hate when this happens

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

I did the brake rotors and stainless lines today on the Busa. Apparently, the bike doesn't like the new parts.

i-rJpMPtD-XL.jpg

i-sqDbx57-XL.jpg

Seriously, after wrenching on these things, up on Pitbull motorcycle stands for 15 years, it finally happened. I was putting it up on the rear stand, and the right side stand bobbin (mounted on the swingarm) didn't catch, and it went over.

Now, get this. While prepping the garage for the job earlier this morning, I looked at the position of the Vette, and thought it would be a good idea to move it a few feet over to the right...........JUST IN CASE.

So the bright side is that I don't have a fucked Vette and Busa, only a fucked Busa.

I'm fucking embarrassed to ride around on this thing now. But the brakes seem nice.

S.C.

:( Oh, that sucks! 

I have a stand for the front wheel I put my bike in before lifting the rear with the Pitbull, due to fear of this very thing. . .

20170426_103629.jpg

38 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

I have a stand for the front wheel I put my bike in before lifting the rear with the Pitbull, due to fear of this very thing. . .

20170426_103629.jpg

S.C.  Sorry to see the results lying on the floor!

Donna has a nice setup with the chock against the rise to prevent it from rolling forward.  I cringe every time I'm doing a rear tire change on the Goldwing.  It needs to be up in the "clouds" to get the tire to clear the rear fender to roll it out.   I only can find a pix of the Moto Guzzi  on the stand I use.  Yup, not the best way to hoist a bike.

Almost rideable.jpg

scottcolbath
1 hour ago, Chameleon said:

20170426_103629.jpg

Can't get the front wheel up in the air with that configuration.

S.C.

14 minutes ago, JohnU said:

S.C.  Sorry to see the results lying on the floor!

Donna has a nice setup with the chock against the rise to prevent it from rolling forward.  I cringe every time I'm doing a rear tire change on the Goldwing.  It needs to be up in the "clouds" to get the tire to clear the rear fender to roll it out.   I only can find a pix of the Moto Guzzi  on the stand I use.  Yup, not the best way to hoist a bike.

Almost rideable.jpg

The Busa can't be raised that way. I have a lift like that from my Harley days. Fine for something that has frame tubes under the bike, but not the Busa.

S.C.

scottcolbath
52 minutes ago, Desertdawg said:

Wow. So lucky you moved teh Vette. 

Yeah, and then I think "What if I didn't move it? Would the Busa have fallen over at all?"

Maybe I tempted fate by moving the Vette.

Anyway, I was looking at the damage this morning. I took to the finish with some polishing compound, which I happened to just have handy because the water spots on the hood of the Vette are back (that's another annoying story). The polishing compound helped a bit, but I also noticed that the fairing is cracked. At some point, I'll be buying some new plastic for this bike.

S.C.

^^^...or, you might have damage to both!

Ted Y on here can assist with water spot annoyance if you're interested. :thumbs

Fairing plastic can be stupid expensive.  If you can find used,  you'll save a bunch. :)

scottcolbath
10 hours ago, Chameleon said:

^^^...or, you might have damage to both!

Ted Y on here can assist with water spot annoyance if you're interested. :thumbs

Fairing plastic can be stupid expensive.  If you can find used,  you'll save a bunch. :)

I totally lucked out tonight. One of my long time friends from www.labusas.org just offered up an OEM, NIB right side fairing. Talk about a fucking score. I'm pretty friggin' happy about this.

Now, this bike of mine is far from a show queen, but it's not loaded up with scratches and road rash. That damage from yesterday just pushed it into that category where if I saw the bike, I'd go "ugh!" and not like to see that. But a well ridden, well used bike is another story. They have a couple of nicks or dings here and there. And that is what this Busa is. So I'll be thrilled to have a fresh part on there.

S.C.

2 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

I totally lucked out tonight. One of my long time friends from www.labusas.org just offered up an OEM, NIB right side fairing. Talk about a fucking score. I'm pretty friggin' happy about this.

S.C.

:thumbs

On 3/24/2018 at 3:33 PM, scottcolbath said:

I'm fucking embarrassed to ride around on this thing now. 

S.C.

Nah, don't be embarrassed.  Its patina.  It shows that you actually ride it.    

None of us here are gonna judge you.  And if some random stranger does ... just remember, you have people's dream rides ... they probably don't.  Go forth and enjoy life.   :D

23 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

Yeah, and then I think "What if I didn't move it? Would the Busa have fallen over at all?"

Maybe I tempted fate by moving the Vette.

Anyway, I was looking at the damage this morning. I took to the finish with some polishing compound, which I happened to just have handy because the water spots on the hood of the Vette are back (that's another annoying story). The polishing compound helped a bit, but I also noticed that the fairing is cracked. At some point, I'll be buying some new plastic for this bike.

S.C.

Use white vinegar to remove water spots, aka calcium. It only removes the spot and not any of the surrounding clear coat.

• Upvote 1

scottcolbath
14 hours ago, mellojoe said:

Nah, don't be embarrassed.  Its patina.  It shows that you actually ride it.    

None of us here are gonna judge you.  And if some random stranger does ... just remember, you have people's dream rides ... they probably don't.  Go forth and enjoy life.   :D

Very true. And I have been riding it. It just bugs me every time I look at it. But that problem will be gone in a few weeks when the new fairing arrives.

And HOXXOH, you are now the second person to mention vinegar in the last 48 hours. I'll give it a go.

S.C.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, HOXXOH said:

Use white vinegar to remove water spots, aka calcium. It only removes the spot and not any of the surrounding clear coat.

Thats good to know, I had no idea. I didn’t want to full-on wax my car, but the water spots on the black trim have been annoying me to look at. I wasn’t sure about trying chemicals. Thanks! 

scottcolbath
6 hours ago, aenigma said:

Thats good to know, I had no idea. I didn’t want to full-on wax my car, but the water spots on the black trim have been annoying me to look at. I wasn’t sure about trying chemicals. Thanks! 

Wax won't help my spots. I've used two different grades of polishing compound to remove them before. And it turns out, I didn't completely rid the finish of them.

Maybe vinegar isn't my answer. But I won't know until I try.

S.C.

You can use the vinegar full strength on small portions, like a fender at a time, but rinse it off with RO or distilled water and wipe it dry before doing the next panel. Your wax or polymer will go away, so you'll have to re-do that when you're done. I haven't used wax since the mid 90's, but do Rejex every 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
scottcolbath

The (literally) new fairing showed  up today. This part is NOS. 19 years old. I'm stoked.

i-L8Mzcj9-XL.jpg