Sign in to follow this  
Shakti Vette

Reflections on Life from the Fast Lane (sometimes)~

Shakti Vette

I often remind my yoga students that our lives on the mat reflect our lives off the mat. Learn to breathe on the mat can teach you to breathe off the mat. Learn to become less reactive in a challenging pose on the mat, can teach you to become less reactive to a challenging situation off the mat. Learn patience and non-judgement towards yourself on the mat, can teach you to be more patient and less judgmental off the mat. Learn to be still and a sense of introspection on the mat, can carry with you off the mat. Our yoga practice can offer all this and more, but can other passions in our lives also offer learning opportunities?

My husband and I belong to a Corvette Enthusiast Group. There is a forum where people go on to share their stories, pictures, comments, and advice. We meet periodically to go on cruises around the state, meet for lunches and picnics, and otherwise share our passion for the great American Muscle Car, the Chevrolet Corvette.

The group consists of members of all ages, primarily a little older group as this tends to be the age you can begin to afford this type of car, as it’s usually not your daily driver. Corvette’s tend to like to be the Diva car of the family, sitting pristine in the garage (also known as the Garage Queen) until it’s time to take her out, show her off, and run her like crazy. The members name their cars and have more pics of their cars in their phones, then their own kids (not really, but close)!

Corvette owners have a language of their own, you get to know what Bowling Green, C1-C7, Fuelie, LS Engines, Matching Numbers. NOS, Split Window, Stingray, Z06, Grand Sport, and  Targa means.

We did a cruise with the group yesterday to the town of Gila Bend, Arizona. Small town in western Arizona, usually pretty quiet until a herd of loud Corvettes drive through.

As we were cruising, I was ruminating on how cruising in a fast car is not unlike life itself. Sometimes the road ahead is open and clear, you can hit the gas and let your hair blow in the wind. Enjoying life as it fly’s by at 100 miles an hour (65 for any police reading this). Sometimes there are obstacles impeding our progress, we are forced to slow down and take stock. Sometimes we pass others on the same journey as we, sometimes we get passed by.

Occasionally something happens to our ride, we break down, we need time for maintenance and to get back in running shape, and sometimes we just slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Regardless of where we are on our journey, share the adventure and enjoy the ride.

Namaste~ Shakti Vette (Donna)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

theChad

Well said! And don’t forget to save the wave! :howdy Life is also about the folks you meet along the way!

Chameleon

Excellent analogy.  :thumbs

I've got two wheels on the shoulder right now, kinda limping along.  It's a season, it will pass.  Thanks for reminding me of that!

SixAddict

Well said, life is short keep priorities placed accordingly, and enjoy the ride......