Finally building (and tearing down) the 77

aenigma

Great for you guys. Nice tear down/build. I did this to my 74 about 100 years ago, at least if feels that long. :unsure 

We’re installing the new stuff in hopefully this week and I’ve been painting the underside to kill the rust. I can’t wait to start on the engine. This part is hard on my back in the confined area and I don’t have enough strength to remove some of the bolts that have been on since 1977. 

On 2/7/2018 at 3:18 PM, y2krtaf said:

Looks like a fun project for sure!!

Keep the progress pics coming!

Its a blast! 

• Like 1

How does an AZ Corvette rust?  That's the stuff I see up north when exposed to winter driving.

The attached photo was from a 4 yr old Lexus (winter driven) windshield header.  The salted water got behind the glued in windshield weatherstrip.  We had replaced the windshield earlier which no doubt compromised the seal and let in the water to rust it out.  I fiberglassed the holes and siliconed the gasket in the gaps after the windshield was installed.  It lasted fine for the next 12 years we owned it.

IMGP3495.JPG

That’s crazy! 

I hace no no idea how it happened on mine. It’s behind the back wheel, so I’m thinking that the water came up from the back wheel over and over causing it to rust over time. 

Hope you have the setup tools for the spindles. Keep track of all the shims.

Oh and NAPA is having a sale on Hammers. No mechanic should be using a claw hammer.

Yes, Lonnie told me 3 times already to label all the shims as I remove them. 😂

He has the set up tools ordered. They didn’t make it in the latest shipment  “accidentally” so by weekend. 

we have tons of different hammers between the two of us. Those bolts are all so tight and old, we keep trading out hammers. 

Lonnie has built more than several cars. He’s been doing his own work for 35 years other than the paint. He knows this stuff well. This is his latest. 

B568419C-9671-44A9-BD4E-2A8DBB59D6DD.jpeg

B4849F90-663F-4B53-8D2A-6C2696811054.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

He’s so mean. He put his wheel on mine just to check for size. I want those wheels. 😡

The back end is about done. We can’t move forward with the A/C and engine until we have a date that the garage addition is going to start being built. 

2FC58EAF-7C60-468A-8BFC-633F1B25A24E.jpeg

5E902309-88B8-4BD7-A800-EC48C957ADDF.jpeg

B90940A3-DC13-4D5C-80DB-975DC2C60819.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our build was put on hold 😡. 

For good reason though. We finally settled on a contractor to extend our garage and can’t have anything in the existing garage for obvious reasons while it’s being added on to.  Starting on the engine will leave it immobile for a couple of months. 

The price for the extension is awesome and less than everyone and because they’re extending it by 2 more bays (only adding 2 walls and a roof), it will end up combining my existing kids playroom (1 car garage conversion being put back to garage) and the existing 2 car garage.  It’s going to be 5 spaces which will leave us much room for car mods. 

So back to storage the vette goes and we will continue in June or July. 

The nicest part of all of this is that the existing playroom has an AC. Which means once our garage is done and the playroom becomes a bay in the garage, the entire garage is going to have AC.

😃

• Like 1