Finally building (and tearing down) the 77

aenigma

16 hours ago, aenigma said:

Our build was put on hold 😡. 

For good reason though. We finally settled on a contractor to extend our garage and can’t have anything in the existing garage for obvious reasons while it’s being added on to.  Starting on the engine will leave it immobile for a couple of months. 

The price for the extension is awesome and less than everyone and because they’re extending it by 2 more bays (only adding 2 walls and a roof), it will end up combining my existing kids playroom (1 car garage conversion being put back to garage) and the existing 2 car garage.  It’s going to be 5 spaces which will leave us much room for car mods. 

So back to storage the vette goes and we will continue in June or July. 

The nicest part of all of this is that the existing playroom has an AC. Which means once our garage is done and the playroom becomes a bay in the garage, the entire garage is going to have AC.

😃

AWESOME!!  So happy to hear you finally found someone to do that project!  :thumbs

POST PICS!!!!

19 hours ago, aenigma said:

Our build was put on hold 😡. 

For good reason though. We finally settled on a contractor to extend our garage and can’t have anything in the existing garage for obvious reasons while it’s being added on to.  Starting on the engine will leave it immobile for a couple of months. 

The price for the extension is awesome and less than everyone and because they’re extending it by 2 more bays (only adding 2 walls and a roof), it will end up combining my existing kids playroom (1 car garage conversion being put back to garage) and the existing 2 car garage.  It’s going to be 5 spaces which will leave us much room for car mods. 

So back to storage the vette goes and we will continue in June or July. 

The nicest part of all of this is that the existing playroom has an AC. Which means once our garage is done and the playroom becomes a bay in the garage, the entire garage is going to have AC.

😃

Congrats!

I need a bigger garage as well,but just not possible at our current abode.....

1 hour ago, y2krtaf said:

Congrats!

I need a bigger garage as well,but just not possible at our current abode.....

Youd be surprised. We thought so too until we talked with the builder. They’re going to use part of our driveway as the 2 car extension. Because the current 2 car is sideways and the 1 car is straight forward, they only had to put up 2 walls and a roof that ties into both and voila, a 5 car. 

We are in a tract home development but the HOA as well as the city are fine with it. 

Im including a picture of my house so you can see it’s not hard to bridge the 2 with an additional 2 spaces. 

The window to the right is a playroom conversion, so we just knock out that wall. 

2CDEA163-885B-4021-A36F-CD6135A2C29E.png

• Like 1

June/July to resume the build will make it pleasant work with the AC. Glad to see you found a builder who was creative enough to maximize the space. :thumbs

• 8 months later...

Heaven forbid you get any grease on that floor.  Maybe you need another room added off to the side for the “yucky” work.

8 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Heaven forbid you get any grease on that floor.  Maybe you need another room added off to the side for the “yucky” work.

😂

it comes off the floor nicely finally. When we had the regular concrete, it was destroyed between oil, kids projects, kid paint, etc. It was so embarrassing, that crap doesn’t come up. This garage feels like it’s part of the livable house now. I can leave the door open and let the dogs wander around so the stress of the whining and barking ended.  

Its like working on cars and parking them in the house. Very peaceful. 

I pulled out the beach chairs! 

9310A567-DE74-40B3-877B-AB252617E2E0.jpeg

17 minutes ago, SixAddict said:

Nice, four bolt mains........pistons? Compression ? They definitely don't look stock😎

KB pistons, 10.7:1. Lonnie says the only thing stock is the block lol. 

The floor looks like you could host oil wrestling on it and it would clean up nicely 

So you have that going for you, which is nice

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 4:30 PM, aenigma said:

He builds up, I tear down. 😃

046ABF30-EA15-443F-B2AD-F467A8601469.jpeg

Where's the chair for Lonnie to sit on?    A stool with "rollerblade" casters added are wonderful!

15 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Where's the chair for Lonnie to sit on?    A stool with "rollerblade" casters added are wonderful!

Dammit that would’ve been a great Christmas present. 

50 minutes ago, JohnU said:

34 minutes ago, aenigma said:

Dammit that would’ve been a great Christmas present. 

Yeah - I thought you were getting him a mechanic's chair like mine to sit on???  

Engine is coming out tonight. There’s some unplanned for rust and definitely wiring issues. The trickiest spark plug was already loose (eek) but worked in my favor. The new radiator fits nicely. 

77358E49-0E1F-4558-A3D2-672D0819FAB7.jpeg

0DBA97CF-6225-4BD7-8F3C-F5E1B6ADBB33.jpeg

1AF33987-2BD2-4D00-96E4-CE3BFB0059C1.jpeg

23BB44A4-3144-4529-8DA9-F2B6E5F00B8E.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

Yeah - I thought you were getting him a mechanic's chair like mine to sit on???  

Lol I forgot. You were supposed to remind me. 😃

• 2 weeks later...

I’m decorating while he’s building 😃

These pics are obviously not in order. 

4C94826A-43BB-45AA-8666-55677B0D6686.jpeg

BE040D2B-1783-480A-A16A-5AA7AFC3AB0A.jpeg

7803873C-897B-45A4-BC13-3DFFF34274B6.jpeg

4624C562-00A5-408A-AB48-930811DD467D.jpeg

BD4CE569-49CC-4525-8C54-919542E21EA0.jpeg

CF6F61C0-4074-4756-885B-F8A35046C157.jpeg

35 minutes ago, P51tj said:

Oh My... spaghetti ... gives me the chills!

Yeah me too. I took one look at that and went back in the house cringing. 

The key to "spaghetti" is to get it back together before the memory fades.  Pictures of disassembly are your best friends.

1 hour ago, aenigma said:

Yeah me too. I took one look at that and went back in the house cringing. 

Cars before the '60's were easy, because they were simple. Then with the assistance (?) of the gov't they got complex. By the end of the '90's manufacturers started using different connectors on every wire, so you couldn't make a wrong connection. All the years in between are wiring nightmares. Crossing my fingers for Lonnie now.