Which Auto Glass company can do an Insurance windshield 1961 corvette

ransome

My insurance company (AmFam) authorized a new windshield for a 1961 corvette. They told me to take to safelite auto glass. I took the windshield and frame off the car(for safety and damage reasons) and took it in to have it replaced. After taking the glass out I noticed that they had broken off one of the tabs on the side post. Now I have to send that out to be fixed.

I need a glass company that knows how to replace the glass in the windshield correctly  , one that can work with my insurance company. Any recommendations?

thanks Gregg

Sorry to hear, I've had good results with Safelite but not on a vintage car. I'd probably call someone like Classic Gold Auto and see if they could funnel the fix through them. They have their own glass subcontractor who would surely do it in their shop but at least it would be under their supervision. Joe and Michael work on quite a few vintage cars there, including Corvettes 

/\/\/\

What Jim said. Call Joe or Michael ‭(480) 967-2521‬. They’re located at 305 S Rockford in Tempe.   

Which ear did they break? The long ear that attaches to frame with 2 bolts or the one that attaches to the side post to the bottom of the lower glass frame?

On 1/5/2018 at 8:18 AM, Blk n Blu said:

Which ear did they break? The long ear that attaches to frame with 2 bolts or the one that attaches to the side post to the bottom of the lower glass frame?

20171226_155717.jpg

That's what I thought, it was quite common for auto glass guy's to leave the bottom frame on the vehicle. They would remove the nuts, remove the top frame, pull back on the side frames the sneak the windshield out and in. They did it that way so they didn't have to remove the bolts on the bottom frame. about 4 hours laying on their backs removing all kinds of stuff just to get to the nuts holding the frame down. This one  has been cracked for awhile you can see the discoloration at the break. Like Donna posted earlier try Vintage Iron, If they can't help they maybe able to send you to someone who can. Best of luck.

• 2 months later...

Virginia vettes fixed both tabs and replated   both windshield posts, came out great. recommended. Bell glass put the glass in the frame for me and did a nice job

On 3/31/2018 at 5:01 AM, ransome said:

Virginia vettes fixed both tabs and replated   both windshield posts, came out great. recommended. Bell glass put the glass in the frame for me and did a nice job

^^^^^ :confused    

In any case, glad you got it fixed!  :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...
Azmotorhead

I believe the posts were shipped off to be repaired. Then Bell auto glass did the setting of the glass 

once the posts came back.

I was the one who put the windshield assy back into the car

45 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

I was the one who put the windshield assy back into the car

Oh, this is the black Vette you've been working on? 

On 3/31/2018 at 1:01 PM, ransome said:

Good that they got it fixed... Those guys are good, they've helped fix mine OCt last year

• 9 months later...

Kudo's to Dan Nance at Arrow Glass.  He's in the Safelite network.  I got his recommendation off this site and it was spot on!  I had Dan out to replace the windshields on my C7 & Honda minivan this morning. 

PS:  He used GM glass...said it was less cost then aftermarket.