Tire Repair - have you heard this?

Chameleon

Sooooo,

Yesterday evening I ran over something that put a pretty good size hole in the right rear tire (NOT a run-flat).  I have a compressor, but the air was coming out faster than the compressor could put it in. 

So, I plugged the tire, and was able to air it up and drive home (all the tire places were already closed).  This morning it is still holding air.  I called to see about having a more permanent patch/plug repair done.  I was told that I must buy a new tire, because the plug I installed ruined the tire.  Huh?  :huh  This makes no sense to me.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  If it's true, WHY is it true?  :confused

Your being fed a line of poop!

unless the damage is in or very near the side wall or a long gash you should be able to have a tire shop put in a proper plug. They will dismount the tire grind out your temp. Plug and grind the inside surface of the hole area. Then apply a plug that looks like a rubber tee you might find at the driving range when you have fake grass mats. 

I think your being taken advantage of because your a woman. Maybe the salesman was behind in meeting his weekly quota. Maybe you can use the back up corvette!!

SLAMMER😎

14 minutes ago, SLAMMER said:

I think your being taken advantage of because your a woman.

SLAMMER😎

That may be true. Businesses are thieves and chivalry is dead. No one stopped to ask if I needed help when I was laying half under the car on a hot asphalt parking lot yesterday...

1 hour ago, Chameleon said:

That may be true. Businesses are thieves and chivalry is dead. No one stopped to ask if I needed help when I was laying half under the car on a hot asphalt parking lot yesterday...

Most likely due to the woman's equal rights movement. I never had a woman ever stop to ask me if I needed help with a car problem.

Probably so.  I wasn't part of that movement, but have been forced to live with the consequences.

As a side note, I remember when Mikey's battery was dead after an ACE lunch, and I was the only person present with jumper cables. :smilelol

3 hours ago, Chameleon said:

No one stopped to ask if I needed help when I was laying half under the car on a hot asphalt parking lot yesterday...

Probably because you looked like you knew what you were doing!

You should throw your work coveralls in your Vette for any future issues. 

SLAMMER😎

See my tire rant somewhere on here. New corporate solution to patching tires: maintain that tire is ruined & sell new 

16 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

See my tire rant somewhere on here. New corporate solution to patching tires: maintain that tire is ruined & sell new 

Yes, I recall that now.  Money-grubbing bastages. . . :cuss

Which tire store did you go to?  Try the discount tire there at McDowell & Dysart.  When I had my GS, I ran over something and took it to Goodyear tire.  They wanted to sell me a new rear.  I went to Discount and they plugged it no problem.

We have a very good friend here that has obvious ties to DT, so in a way I hate bashing. That being said, and after talking to friends having similar experiences as yours and mine, DT is dead to me. 

Hell, I have zero issues paying to have a tire patched. I think they are trying to get out of the free repair game and this is there MO to do just that. 

28 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

Agreed. I would have been happy to pay for a quality repair.  They won't get any more of my business.

42 minutes ago, JohnU said:

IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.719bc6491b8ab19bca8c4956de56ee29.JPGCan you beat this for pretty?

The plug I did Is shoved In further than that...

Are you still driving on that?

JLs Mistress

As long as its not in the sidewall I have never had a plug fail me yet ....

1 minute ago, JLs Mistress said:

As long as its not in the sidewall I have never had a plug fail me yet ....

Good to know!

9 hours ago, Chameleon said:

The plug I did Is shoved In further than that...

Are you still driving on that?

Did that last March.  Still holding air.

Donna, I worked in my dad's tire shop for many years. The problem with plugging a tire is some times the nail does not go straight in. The tire will make the nail go in sideways. Most people will try to plug straight in causing two holes on the inside of the tire allowing air to still enter the one unplugged hole and cause a tread separation. They need to dismount the tire to see if this occurred. The correct method for repair is that patch that was mentioned earlier that is a combination patch/ plug. That plug portion will fill the hole in the tread plies and not allow any contaminates in the tread plies. You can sometimes get lucky with a plug holding but in our heat, I would not drive fast or far with one. Take it to one of the smaller tire shops and see if they will look at the inside of the tire to see if it is fixable.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Chameleon said:

I was laying half under the car on a hot asphalt parking lot yesterday...

That sounds hot. :photo:  What were you wearing. :lol

I've plugged many a tire in my day. Back when I was working for my dad in his service station we plugged quite a few as well. That was before they had the patch/plug in one, which I think is a great way to repair a tire. I don't think you can get 100% satisfaction from everyone but the plugs work pretty well by themselves also I think. My golf cart at work will do 23 mph and I've yet to throw a plug from a tire. I also agree that putting in a plug is like sticking an I.V. in. You have to do a touchy feely kind of thing to see which way the puncher went so you don't make another hole. 

Do you happen to know anyone that can take your tire off the rim so you can fix it yourself? All you need is a plug/patch, a high speed with a sanding disc, some tire glue and a roller. I have done that before.

Hey Joe, the plug/patch is what I wanted, but got told the tire is ruined because of the plug.  I think whatever made the hole went in straight, because the reaming tool went in straight.  I don't have the hand strength to make a new hole in the tire.  I avoided the freeway coming home and haven't driven it since (one of the reasons I missed the burger run yesterday).

Mark,  I thought of that.  I do have a possibility, waiting to find out. . .

Dawg, you are a perv.  I was not appropriately dressed for the event, and the result was NOT pretty. :huh

22 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Probably so.  I wasn't part of that movement, but have been forced to live with the consequences.

As a side note, I remember when Mikey's battery was dead after an ACE lunch, and I was the only person present with jumper cables. :smilelol

a2 330.JPG