Do we have a mental defect???

Bart K

First, let me say that I love all years of Corvettes, some more than others.  I also love other cars that are not even Chevys, but let's get back to Corvettes.  The "we" that I am speaking of is us "Classic Glass" guys, and the mental defect I am speaking of is spending as much on cars that are 50 and 60+ years old as it would take to buy a C5, C6 or C7.  I love the new Vettes, they make me proud of the progression of America's Sports Car.  But since I can only afford one Vette in this price range, I opted for a 1969 Big Block that a friend had that decided to sell in preparation for moving for retirement.  She bought the car 13 years ago to get it fixed up for her and it never happened.  I was in the process of saving up to go on a C2 hunt as I have had C1's and C3's before, but she offered me the price she paid 13 years ago and I had never had a big block before, so we made a deal.  Anyway, personally, I do not think it is crazy to buy one of these older cars and restore it for the price of a newer Vette.  The shapes of these older cars just hits me right in the heart and I just love the memories they invoke.  I know they are not as fast or reliable as a new Vette, but for my money, I am going with Classic Glass!

20170213_081826.thumb.jpg.69a72a49ff2c24517ea4b8efd4261044.jpg

Guest badbobs95

Good choice for sure! I've had my share of classics and I loved them all but I really love the comfort of my 04 now.

Right with ya!

So torn for a next project to either be a C5Z,or a chrome bumper car updated with a more modern driveline etc.

• Like 2

Yeah, I never lost the C1to C3  lovin. I have owned a C3 since I was 21 years old. Got my 58 when I turned 18. Oh yeah, I also had Stingray bikes!

25360_1230925060144_1439650856_30539154_2606921_n.jpg

• Like 3

It takes a true enthusiast to put the blood sweat and tears into restoring or keeping an old Corvette on the road, my hats off to you guys.

If I could, I would but at this point I value the comfort and speed over the love and style I would have for a classic. 

PS. I'll bring my own drool towel with me when I walk up to your ride. :lol 

• Like 1

Hey, you are not the only one needing to carry a drool towel!  I love the new Vettes, I did have a 2001 Z06 at one point and I wish I had never sold that one either.  Being that I can afford only one, I chose to go with the old school look and feel.  One of the reasons is that I can actually work on it myself to some degree, no computers, etc.  I just turned 60 so I can still get in and out ok, and I do not do much of the long haul trips, so that part is not an issue.  I will just enjoy it as long as I can, then maybe sell it and get a later model when I can no longer get in and out comfortably!

On 8/4/2017 at 8:28 AM, Lurch said:

Yeah, I never lost the C1to C3  lovin. I have owned a C3 since I was 21 years old. Got my 58 when I turned 18. Oh yeah, I also had Stingray bikes!

25360_1230925060144_1439650856_30539154_2606921_n.jpg

I was 22 when this C3 came into my life.  A total "shit box" but it was a CORVETTE and that's all that matters! 

Corvette 1.JPG

John U, that is a pretty nice looking car for a "shit box"!  I love that color!  I had a 76 back in the mid 90's which was very important to me because it represented my comeback from a divorce.  I had a 72 in the mid 2000's that I really enjoyed.  The C3 just has such a sexy shape, and it screams CORVETTE!!!

4 hours ago, Bart K said:

John U, that is a pretty nice looking car for a "shit box"!  I love that color!  I had a 76 back in the mid 90's which was very important to me because it represented my comeback from a divorce.  I had a 72 in the mid 2000's that I really enjoyed.  The C3 just has such a sexy shape, and it screams CORVETTE!!!

It was a good lesson on buying the best you can afford vs one that seemed like a good buy but needed lots of TLC!