SCT & Omega

Drewstein

Anyone signing up for Street Car Takeover or Omega 1/2 this year?

I'm planning on them and wanted to start strategizing sooner than later.

Wow, remind me to not race what that becomes.  What kind of car are you building there?  Looks like a mad science project from Keith.

And once again I'll try to show up to the event in my backyard. 

Maybe this time I'll have the time. :lol 

IMG_1029.thumb.PNG.2e6a9fe936c75ab5feaf2d60c72eb9ab.PNG

RobertAshby
On 7/29/2017 at 6:41 PM, FNBADAZ06 said:

I am planning at the least to run Sunday at Omega.

Went last year in my Pontiac Solstice LS3 , had a blast ! Ran 146 mph.

May go to this one in the new car.

IMG_20161212_154146958_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161217_082343878_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing so many new customers racing, others with additional upgrades. And potentially have my first 200 mph car out there. Got 3 that might do it so it's a very exciting time for us. 

Was hoping to go but since there is only Sunday and no Saturday I'm out.  Bummer.  Was planning on going to the 1/2 mile event up here by me in Springerville this weekend and car is still under the weather, so that didn't happen.

Going to have to find something in the next few months to get my "fix".  Having serious withdrawls!

If the Mohave Magnum Mile decides to run in 2018, I'll have to slip on down to Joes shop and let him make sure I can hit that 200mph mark.  Just another 100rwhp should do it.

• 2 weeks later...

hope to see a lot of you out there either racing or watching. It can't all be pavillions and parking with your hoods up :)

• Like 1

Filmed with a potato by a noob videographer LOL

Only got two passes before my new alternator gave out :facepalm:

Smoked the tires into 3rd gear on my first test pass of the day to identify the correct tire pressure for this event.

Even though I was only able to get two runs in before the alternator failed on me, I was able to test and confirm a few things from those runs :

1) The Michelin Pilot Sport 205/50/17's worked great, and even got tested in a "panic" stop while making a pass with Nuclear427 (Ben), when I identified that a BMW that ran right before me did not exit the runway following his run and was moving very slowly toward the taxiway exit !!!!! eek6.gif After I made the 3-4 shift, I looked down the runway to see this car and realized he wasn't exiting the runway as I approached 160 MPH. I terminated the run prior to reaching the finish line and began engine braking in 4th, but noticed the BMW was not in any hurry to get out of my lane so I had to lean on the brakes hard. I slowed down to under 25 MPH when I was roughly 100 yards behind the BMW, then followed him off the runway. The 205/50/17's decelerated the car at a rapid pace without any tire lockup or ABS interaction thumbsup.gif

2) Front air dam extension worked perfectly !!! thumbsup.gif While I have no empirical data to show any increase in top speed with the reduction in aero drag caused by turbulent air getting under the car (only one shakedown standing start 1/2 mile run and one run terminated because of the car on the track), the front air dam extension allowed enough airflow to be forced over the car instead of under it, that the rubber air dam extension made full contact with the runway under speed. The lower edge was ground away a bit by the rubber making contact with the pavement, with a strip of melted/ground rubber hanging from the lip when I pulled into the pit to adjust my rear tire pressure biggrin5.gif My only valid run (standing 1/2 mile run from the cones) I spun the rear tires all the way past 2nd gear and into 3rd (see acceleration numbers from Vbox above), ran one of my slowest 1/2 mile ET's and traps thru out the run, and still ran a 162+ mph trap cheers2.gif I feel very confident that had I been able to make a few more passes following the tire pressure changes to get more grip, I would have hit my 165 MPH target even with the head wind and heat (97*+ IAT).

3) From some low quality video captures that I zoomed in on, the car maintained a nose down pitch (or neutral pitch ) during the runs, with no high speed instability exhibited with the aero mods, OEM Z06 duck bill spoiler, or NT05R 285/40/18 at 30 and 24 psi tire pressures. I was changing tire pressure to 20 psi and preparing to run NachoZ06 on my next pass when the alternator failed.

The NT05R 285/40/18 test was inconclusive as I wasn't able to find a tire pressure that allowed me enough traction to accelerate at any aggressive rate past my two runs. I think 20 psi would have got me better grip but I have no idea how far down in pressure I would have needed to go to match the grip of the Hoosier tire I ran the last time. The 27" diameter test was inconclusive as well, which was to test the better grip with the taller tire (killing some of the low end torque) while also giving me a 7000-7100 RPM trap speed and a higher MPH (based on gearing).

We have another NFZ coming in December, which will offer better air temps. I'll go out and run a few VBox test while the car is configured in the NFZ setup once the new alternator is installed tomorrow, just to see what the potential could have been. thumbsup.gif

VBox data for the 1/2 mile standing start run, one of the poorer 1/2 mile runs from an acceleration rate and time to distance because of the massive loss of traction, but still managed to clear 162+ MPH into an 11 MPH head wind and 97* air temps.

Grainy pictures were screen captures of the videos showing a stock aero C6 Z06 profile shot at mid track (120+ MPH) and my modified aero car at the same  general location...looks like the aero was doing it's job.

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

Nuclear427.JPG

My aero.JPG

What an exhausting weekend that was. Our dyno night for sct was insane with so many people there. We had 40+ customers racing and a lot of people got their personal best too. Had a few in the 9's Hutch ctsv we did went 9.12 on the brakes, turbo Camaro we built got his first 8 second pass driving, drew you went low 9's right? I got my best personal trap of 160.2 from a dig, still need more time launching my clutch to get it closer to the 60s I can do with an rxt. It'll come though. I went 187 in the half mile on sun with a head wind and the heat so overall happy. Thank you everyone who came out! 

FB_IMG_1509207830017.jpg

• Like 1

Follow up test run yesterday morning showed very favorable results !!! :burnout

Car was still sitting in the NFZ configuration, with a new alternator and fully charged battery.

Air was much cooler at 66* , but smoking the rear tires and running an even slower 0-400 feet interval than I ran at NFZ, the tires finally caught up with the car and ran hard the rest of the way to a true 1/2 mile standing start of 166.1 MPH, to a final top speed of 172.2 MPH in 4th gear :)

Check out that 60-130 MPH acceleration curve........ 6.73 seconds, and a new PB  !!!

166.1 MPH page 1.jpg

166.1 MPH page 2.jpg