prochargers, are they worth it?

corvettech

more details, i'll be getting it for next to nothing. we got a trade in vette with a procharger system on it. one of the salesmen wants to buy it, but doesn't much care for the extra add ons. I told him I might be able to "help" him put it back to stock-ish form free of charge in exchange for the blower setup. I've heard some bad stuff about the prochargers. but if its free is it still worth it or would it be more hassle than its worth aka junk?

15 minutes ago, corvettech said:

more details, i'll be getting it for next to nothing. we got a trade in vette with a procharger system on it. one of the salesmen wants to buy it, but doesn't much care for the extra add ons. I told him I might be able to "help" him put it back to stock-ish form free of charge in exchange for the blower setup. I've heard some bad stuff about the prochargers. but if its free is it still worth it or would it be more hassle than its worth aka junk?

Financially it's well worth the labor to remove it. To use it on your car must be your choice, since you know nothing about its' previous life.

PM sent

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
bumpin96monte

I agree, well worth the labor to pull it, especially if you can get your hands on the few parts needed to put it back to stock and have a buyer lined up for a near stock car.

If nothing else, you could throw the kit up for sale on the various forums and potentially make a couple grand.  If the blower is suspect for some reason, you could always send it to PC to get it pulled apart and inspected.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the input. I decided to do the swap. everything went smoothly. now I have to find time to have it tuned

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking a boost gauge and air/fuel ratio gauge wouldn't be a bad idea just in case. I've already got long tube headers(not so California legal catless) and 3" xpipe. ive still got the factory downstream h02s that I could use for a gauge, but all the air/fuel gauges I see come with the ho2s. any suggestions on brands? autometer and aem come to mind

bumpin96monte
On 8/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, corvettech said:

I've been thinking a boost gauge and air/fuel ratio gauge wouldn't be a bad idea just in case. I've already got long tube headers(not so California legal catless) and 3" xpipe. ive still got the factory downstream h02s that I could use for a gauge, but all the air/fuel gauges I see come with the ho2s. any suggestions on brands? autometer and aem come to mind

IMO a boost gauge isn't particularly useful on a supercharged car (unless you're regulating boost with a wastegate for boost by gear or something).  There is nothing you can change or adjust on a given setup to alter the boost.  So unless you've got a leak, it's always going to make the same boost given the same atmospheric conditions.

What I did was to get a dash logic plug in to allow values to display on the dash.  Then I switched to an ls9 MAP sensor (with the tune adjustments). That'll allow you see boost if you're interested, but also let's you switch to a bunch of other more important readings (such as knock).

If you want an AFR gauge you wouldn't want to use the factory narrow band sensors, you'll want a wide band sensor. I run an AEM UEGO in an SLP pod and it works just fine.