Comfortable Sporty Seats and 4-Point Harness - Opinions Wanted

polyol

Lets face it the stock seats are great for long trips and zipping around town.  For any sporty environment they just plain suck.

I dont need hard core seats, in fact I want them to be comfortable, semi snug (5'10" 190lbs).  Do you put in a harness bar behind the seat?  Are there good bolt attachment points for the lowers?

Sorry if this is super noob thing, I know a lot of this is opinion in seat choices, and thats all I want.

Feel like sharing this non-Corvette pic...took a sip off the potion got the two wheel motion.  

Two Wheel Action.jpg

SLAMMER has racing harness in his C6 vert with stock seats, for both driver and passenger.  They work great.  Maybe he'll chime in here with details...or you could send him a PM.

I have a 5-point harness and a NHRA 10.0 rollbar. I made a seat frame for a race seat and three of the belts attach to the seat frame and the other two to the rollbar. I can't imagine how a 4-point harness will keep you in the seat without a sub belt. I had a 6-point harness that worked fine with my modded stock seat, but needed to reduce weight. It takes less than 10 minutes to change between the stock seat and race seat.

The only safe attachment points are either the seat frame or the mounting studs for the seat, since the floor is a plastic composite and balsa sandwich.

• Upvote 1

Well the 4-point works better than a seatbelt that is for sure.  5-point is the way to go though, no doubt.  Ill look into finding a harness...did not think you could use the stock seats due to the lack of the "hole" in the headrest.

15 hours ago, polyol said:

Well the 4-point works better than a seatbelt that is for sure.  5-point is the way to go though, no doubt.  Ill look into finding a harness...did not think you could use the stock seats due to the lack of the "hole" in the headrest.

It doesn't take much too mod the seat. I had a thread on CF of how I did mine. Try this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3377975-running-5-point-harnesses-in-my-car.html and see post #12.

BTW, notice the Crow harness. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0000371a&ukey=AAAKN  The sub belt can bolt to the seat frame holes where the front cover push pins insert. That requires a 6-point harness, unless you opt to drill the front seat mount crossmember for an eyebolt and use a 5-point harness.  Use a 1/4-20 bolt, a couple flat washers, and a locknut. If you want to leave it in place between uses, stuff it under the seat. You can use the supplied eyebolts for the lapbelts if you drill to mount them in line with the seat mount studs. See why and where under the car.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, polyol said:

I strongly disagree with your 5 point harness is the way to go. Especially if your a male and value your package. 

I have a 6 point and it feels more like a parashute harness. I had some brackets made up to fit under forward seat mounts using the stock two bolts. 

IMG_0952.thumb.JPG.2d7951d26e0321c4151bb26f697dc912.JPG

the holes are for spring loaded hooks to attach to. 

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.42a4ecaff48b158e1c09fe305e0fa9ba.JPG

holes facing inward. 

For the rear mounts I used G-Force eye bolts. I have 4 new ones 4 sale in factory package available. 

IMG_2637.thumb.JPG.12f9bfd79711189da8a3ba387d29c7e5.JPG

bought the wider style harness with spring loaded gates hooks. To allow easy install and removal. 

IMG_0957.JPG.70b059263a26358ee38f5996ef978124.JPG

PM me for questions 

SLAMMER?

I would consider not using any 4, 5 or 6 point harness for street use.  If you use a harness you will be defeating the OEM safety system built into the car (e.g. 3 pt, with airbags).  The harnesses will stop you from moving forward in a collision which will render the airbag effectiveness less than optimal.  It will also put a heavy strain on your neck (e.g. Dale Earnhardt), when your heavy head continues to move forward without the rest of your body. 

I personally have resisted the temptation to install a harness for road racing (would be a big help keeping me planted in the seat), for this reason.  I have finally decided that I am pushing the car to the point that I will install a 5/6 pt harness and use a HANS system (head and neck restraint), for next season.  Also a 4 pt, as pointed out, can be dangerous as it will allow your body to slip under the buckle and be useless or possibly strangle you in a frontal collision.

Best bet is to trust the OEM system or go full bore with all safety measures that work as a system (Harness, HANS, Rollbar), though not recommended for the street.

3 hours ago, NRS said:

I would consider not using any 4, 5 or 6 point harness for street use.  If you use a harness you will be defeating the OEM safety system built into the car (e.g. 3 pt, with airbags).  The harnesses will stop you from moving forward in a collision which will render the airbag effectiveness less than optimal.  It will also put a heavy strain on your neck (e.g. Dale Earnhardt), when your heavy head continues to move forward without the rest of your body. 

I personally have resisted the temptation to install a harness for road racing (would be a big help keeping me planted in the seat), for this reason.  I have finally decided that I am pushing the car to the point that I will install a 5/6 pt harness and use a HANS system (head and neck restraint), for next season.  Also a 4 pt, as pointed out, can be dangerous as it will allow your body to slip under the buckle and be useless or possibly strangle you in a frontal collision.

Best bet is to trust the OEM system or go full bore with all safety measures that work as a system (Harness, HANS, Rollbar), though not recommended for the street.

The airbag is still functional if you're using the stock seat and you have a harness. You can plug the seatbelt latch in by running it behind the seat.

BTW, since you race, I assume you know the method how to use the stock 3-point belt to keep you tightly planted to the seat. Is that not working well enough?

11 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

The airbag is still functional if you're using the stock seat and you have a harness. You can plug the seatbelt latch in by running it behind the seat.

BTW, since you race, I assume you know the method how to use the stock 3-point belt to keep you tightly planted to the seat. Is that not working well enough?

Tom the stock seat belt is fine on the street. Or as you do so often....

IN A STRAIGHT LINE................>

However I found the 3 point much less effective while on a road corse. (In an educational road safety class) of course. 

I found myself using the steering wheel as a safety grab bar on turns. And ended having bruises on my outside knee from the door supporting me. I found the harness kept me planted firmly in the seat and I no longer was distracted from having to brace/support my self while cornering. 

SLAMMER?

15 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

The airbag is functional, but since you won't be traveling forward to meet it, it won't be as effective as designed.  As Slammer said, you can tighten the 3 pt really good, but your legs and upper body still get tossed around.  Combine a harness with a race seat to hold your legs, and you can lap faster as you can be much more relaxed and not have to hold on to the wheel as hard, or bang up your knees trying to hold yourself in place.

Everything has its risks/drawbacks, it's just about how much you want to risk to play the game.  Plenty of people run harnesses and never get in the situation where a HANS is necessary.  People drive their cars on the street with rollbars without a helmet, and never hit it.  Same with a firesuit running HDPE, not required, but I'm getting a bit paranoid in my old age, and will probably give up some comfort (gets hot) for the added seconds of burn protection.  To each his own.

1 hour ago, NRS said:

The airbag is functional, but since you won't be traveling forward to meet it, it won't be as effective as designed.  As Slammer said, you can tighten the 3 pt really good, but your legs and upper body still get tossed around.  Combine a harness with a race seat to hold your legs, and you can lap faster as you can be much more relaxed and not have to hold on to the wheel as hard, or bang up your knees trying to hold yourself in place.

Everything has its risks/drawbacks, it's just about how much you want to risk to play the game.  Plenty of people run harnesses and never get in the situation where a HANS is necessary.  People drive their cars on the street with rollbars without a helmet, and never hit it.  Same with a firesuit running HDPE, not required, but I'm getting a bit paranoid in my old age, and will probably give up some comfort (gets hot) for the added seconds of burn protection.  To each his own.

OK, so you lost me a bit. You earlier said you plan on a harness and HANS, but didn't mention adding a race seat or rollbar. Doesn't that leave you in nearly the same position as you are now with no leg control or rollover protection, but with improved upper body restraint to compensate for an ineffective airbag? I think the OP was looking for more.

BTW, your head can't hit a good rollbar in a Vette, unless you have a really bad seat or no restraints. You can hit the side window hard enough to knock you out without damaging the car.

My point was it might be better to stay with the OEM safety system, or go with more than just the harness (HANS) to provide the same level of protection.  Everyone can choose their level of protection that they are comfortable with though.

You would be surprised on how far your head could travel in a severe rollover crash.  I've seen video footage of a head hitting the steering wheel, with a harness holding you in place and it was ~ 2ft away, in a front collision.  The seats will flex and the belts will give, making it a good possibility to hit a roll bar that you can't reach statically.  I will be going to a more restrictive seat, that will hold my legs better, as for the rollbar, that's where I'll make my compromise and rely on the stock roll hoop (not a vette).

On 5/24/2017 at 3:21 PM, HOXXOH said:

It doesn't take much too mod the seat. I had a thread on CF of how I did mine. Try this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3377975-running-5-point-harnesses-in-my-car.html and see post #12.

BTW, notice the Crow harness. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0000371a&ukey=AAAKN  The sub belt can bolt to the seat frame holes where the front cover push pins insert. That requires a 6-point harness, unless you opt to drill the front seat mount crossmember for an eyebolt and use a 5-point harness.  Use a 1/4-20 bolt, a couple flat washers, and a locknut. If you want to leave it in place between uses, stuff it under the seat. You can use the supplied eyebolts for the lapbelts if you drill to mount them in line with the seat mount studs. See why and where under the car.

Man you rock!  Thank you so much for your contribution, exactly what I needed.  Paul

Everyone understand that 95% of my driving is Autox, so this is designed to keep me in place to keep me in control of the car.  I rarely do road racing but have made it out to Indy Motorsport Ranch and WHP (which I dont like). But I get it, lets do this right, my life depends on it.

I have been convinced to go the 6-point direction.

Thank you for your feedback.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good option.  My main purpose is to keep me in place, and AutoX is just not that dangerous.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, polyol said:

Everyone understand that 95% of my driving is Autox, so this is designed to keep me in place to keep me in control of the car.  I rarely do road racing but have made it out to Indy Motorsport Ranch and WHP (which I dont like). But I get it, lets do this right, my life depends on it.

I have been convinced to go the 6-point direction.

Thank you for your feedback.

I have a 5 point in the race car, it's not a big deal having the sub strap if your other straps are secure as well.  I use it on the street because my car is caged and I would prefer not to rely on a 3-point factory guy to keep my melon from being smashed.  I don't wear a helmet on the street which takes a lot of stress off my neck for a HANS requirement.

Finding a decent seat for the vette can be super expensive.  I had Caravaggios in the C6, they were great but not cheap.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, Drewstein said:

I have a 5 point in the race car, it's not a big deal having the sub strap if your other straps are secure as well.  I use it on the street because my car is caged and I would prefer not to rely on a 3-point factory guy to keep my melon from being smashed.  I don't wear a helmet on the street which takes a lot of stress off my neck for a HANS requirement.

Finding a decent seat for the vette can be super expensive.  I had Caravaggios in the C6, they were great but not cheap.

I certainly understand using a 5-point on a caged car at any time, street or track. It's far more dangerous than a car with simply a rollbar with a factory 3-point.  Many/most people don't understand the difference between a cage, a rollbar or a harness bar, so they don't comprehend the safety aspects.

My cheap seat (under $150) is fine for the dragstrip, marginally good for Auto-X, but would really suck for the longer road track or street use. I don't even like driving with the seat in to WHP, so most times I swap it at the track.

Different safety protection is required for different situations, there is no one-size-fits-all.

You can say that again.  If you get a good seat for the occasion it may not work well for other driving.  I wouldn't want to take my Kirkey on too much of a trip lol.

The really high end stuff seems to do well for everything but lots of $$$.