C7 tuning questions

1jester

What appreciable gains can A custom tune get you in regards to performance, or horsepower on a stock c7?

is there any changes in mpg?  Thanks for any info .

I haven't seen results of a tune with no other mods, my guess is it's not worth it.

To your second point, it shouldn't void the warranty but good luck getting through the dealer without them blaming the tune.  You still have warranty on everything the tune doesn't touch.

We are getting much more strict with tunes in cars.  

In many cases, dealers are checking CVNs whenever they find aftermarket parts on a vehicle, even for something as simple as a cold air kit, dealers are checking CVNs before they take a suspect car in on trade-in.  I would not do it, unless you can live with paying for powertrain repairs out of pocket. If they find an altered CVN, the powertrain is no longer covered, period. While the bulletin makes it mandatory to check CVNs for hard part failures, many are doing it voluntarily when a suspect vehicle arrives at the dealer for repair or on trade in, as previously mentioned.

As far as a tune in a stock application, there is really not a lot there to benefit from.  Some little things, shift timing (if it's an auto), etc.  I'd leave it alone.

I am not sure if this attachment works, but it will show you the lengths we go to track down aftermarket calibrations or "tunes" in the cars.

Tampering.pdf

Wow, 18 pages of "you're screwd" babble. Yea, leave well enough alone unless you don't mind payin to play!

I used a superchip programmer on my C5 and got good results. It can be programmed back to my Stock settings should I need to. I iMagine they would notice If I use a programmer and then set it back before bringing it to the dealership.

Two ways it will be caught, one is the flash counter. We know how many times a module has been flashed (programmed or updated) by a dealer, a count higher than that will raise questions. Secondly, just because it is flashed back to stock does not mean the original Calibration Verification Number (CVN) used by the factory will remain, usually it does not. 

Fore warned is fair warned, good luck in whatever you decide to do. 

They're just out to take all the fun away these days. Fraud sucks, and I guess it just takes a few bad apples to cock over everyone else's fun. :down:

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I guess I'm just going to put up with my 460 horse. That is until the Zora comes out.

joe@cpr.com

You'll gain like 10-12 rwhp by gett rid of the cat over temp crap up top. These things go almost 10:0 afr up top. It is not worth tuning a stock vehicle for that and voiding the warranty. I have done a cold air and arh mid lengths which won't require a tune and the car gained 26 rwhp and 27 rwtq in the lower rpms. 

1 hour ago, insatiableOne said:

another to no be able to veiw on apple :(

Open in Safari browser. It'll let you open it in iBooks or "More..." and could save it to Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc.. where most will let you view in those programs.

Not sure why Chrome on Apple doesn't play nice, but Google & Apple do have a Uuuuge love/hate relationship.

It appears that only hard part failures are cause for concern and then only the ones in engine, trans, diff, or cats, I suspect they have issued a list of what is still covered when the warranty is voided on specific parts per the current memo. I have a 29 page printout detailing the specific parts that are covered on the 5-year 100K mile warranty as of 2009. Other than the stuff that could be voided, the remainder was still intact. I had my first tune (changed the fan settings) about 5 months after delivery and the engine/trans tune followed about a month or two later. Leaking axle shaft seals about 55K and front wheel hubs at 98K were both covered under warranty.

Short of getting a bad tune by the infamous traveling tuner, I had no problem doing reasonable mods and a tune on a new car. I bought the car to have fun and I didn't want to wait 5 years to start having that fun.

Fantastic, you heard it from Tom, everybody.  Mod away...

So awesome to have such experts on here.

5 minutes ago, Two Fangs said:

Fantastic, you heard it from Tom, everybody.  Mod away...

So awesome to have such experts on here.

Am I to believe when I wrote "It appears" and "I suspect", that you have no information to the contrary to offer, which is why I wrote it that way?

I have no desire or intention to continue to post additional information to the contrary and wait while you nit-pick every single nuance into oblivion.  You obviously feel very comfortable to subvert everything I have tried to warn against, so by all means, go right ahead.

19 hours ago, 1jester said:

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I guess I'm just going to put up with my 460 horse. That is until the Zora comes out.

If you add intake, headers, cam etc. then get a second computer while you're at it.  That way you can drop the original unturned back in if something fails that should be covered or you trade it in and de-mod it.  Several people resorted to that because dealers don't want to warranty stuff and blame the tune when it can be the product at issue.  It's cheap insurance and you can sell the extra computer later too.

For a stock car, just enjoy it I guess.

21 minutes ago, Two Fangs said:

I have no desire or intention to continue to post additional information to the contrary and wait while you nit-pick every single nuance into oblivion.  You obviously feel very comfortable to subvert everything I have tried to warn against, so by all means, go right ahead.

Good grief. No need to get your panties in a wad.

I read the file you posted and it appeared it was directed to hard part failures. I also noted that GM might have a list of items that aren't affected under the powertrain warranty and I had a list of what existed as of 2009, not 2017. When you failed to comment, it either meant you don't know or are unwilling to share that information. Either way, it doesn't affect me, but it certainly might affect someone else, so you're not making me your fallguy here.

You said " I would not do it, unless you can live with paying for powertrain repairs out of pocket." as the warning.  However, when I bought my car, I wanted to play and had no problem paying when something failed that was related to the mods and tune and didn't try to hide it. That was my opinion of how I dealt with the warranty. Everyone else can make their own choice. No subversion here, just facts.

My panties aren't in a wad, hard for them to be with as much starch as I use.  Your post came off to me as wanting to be argumentative, and I have better things to do that post GM document on top of GM document for your perusal and enjoyment.  The rules have changed, and I was just wanting to let folks know what they are likely to be up against.

Nothing more, nothing less, and I am happy you had success in the past.  Buy a C7 and let me know how that same scenario you alluded to in the past works out for you now. 

All the Best~  Parker

insatiableOne
20 hours ago, theChad said:

Open in Safari browser. It'll let you open it in iBooks or "More..." and could save it to Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc.. where most will let you view in those programs.

Not sure why Chrome on Apple doesn't play nice, but Google & Apple do have a Uuuuge love/hate relationship.

Thanks Chad.

Im using safari, don't do google anything except gmail ( which is bad enough I know). I'll try something different, see what works. 

Only option i had was email it to myself (gmail)

or message

icloud, possibly but don't use it