Wheel Studs

MidNiteFury01

MidNiteFury01

Ordering two SKF wheel bearings. Driver side has a rather noticeable oscillation when grasping at the 3 & 9 positions. Going to replace both rears. Looking for someone or a recommended shop to press out the SKF OEM studs and replace with longer ones, probably ARP or others. Thanks. 

MidNiteFury01

I'm not visualizing the vice thing real well here???

As for why, i do a lot of autocrossing and I'm looking to put on some 305 or 315 wide BFG's on stock offset C5 Z06 rims and will need a wheel spacer to avoid rubbing as I don't think the stockers could take a 1/4 or 3/8" spacer. I plan on starting with rear hubs first, since they will be new & out anyway. I'll replace the fronts when they get worn out.

I'm thinking Tom is implying to build a jig with some pipe or a socket to press them out with a vise.  I've done before (not on a Vette hub mind you), not as convenient as with a press but you can make it work in a pinch

it's old skool but could you use a tie rod puller to press it out?  Most shops (O'Reilly's, Autozone) will loan you one.

Never tried it for the vette

Getting them out can be done with a piece of 3/4" conduit about 3" long placed on the head side and squeezing between the end of the thread and the conduit in a vise. Installing is easier, since you can slip a 1/2" drive deep socket over the stud and squeeze between the socket and the head in a vise. 

That's basically what'll happen in a vertical press too. You could also just smack 'em with a hammer, but I don't recommend it.

If you don't already have open end lugnuts, I suggest you buy some. You'll need 8 full turns on a 12x1.5 thread to be safe. With a closed end, it's way too hard to know the thread engagement length.

MidNiteFury01
4 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Getting them out can be done with a piece of 3/4" conduit about 3" long placed on the head side and squeezing between the end of the thread and the conduit in a vise. Installing is easier, since you can slip a 1/2" drive deep socket over the stud and squeeze between the socket and the head in a vise. 

That's basically what'll happen in a vertical press too. You could also just smack 'em with a hammer, but I don't recommend it.

If you don't already have open end lugnuts, I suggest you buy some. You'll need 8 full turns on a 12x1.5 thread to be safe. With a closed end, it's way too hard to know the thread engagement length.

Thanks for the visualization. I think I'm taking on enough liabilities by replacing the hubs myself and the risk doesn't need to be compounded by my rigging a vice & some conduit, but options are good to have. I've heard the hammer advice & politely decline to do so. Any good machine shops which could be recommended would be much appreciated.

Most auto shops have a vertical press. I have a 1 ton manual, but it may be a little light to pop the studs out, but you could try on your old hubs.

Roughly what cross streets are you near?

MidNiteFury01
21 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Most auto shops have a vertical press. I have a 1 ton manual, but it may be a little light to pop the studs out, but you could try on your old hubs.

Roughly what cross streets are you near?

3 hours ago, Azmotorhead said:

What part of town are you in??

I'm located on the West side, Goodyear. Cross streets are Estrella & Van Buren.

Azmotorhead

A bit far but I'm at 83rd and Deervalley and could knock it out on Monday or Tues

MidNiteFury01
On 7/2/2016 at 0:34 PM, Azmotorhead said:

A bit far but I'm at 83rd and Deervalley and could knock it out on Monday or Tues

PM Sent