Well done and crispy

F22trainer

I was excited to start detailing my car for the Good Guys show starting today at West world in Scottsdale. Was annoyed to find the battery dead when I began, so hooked up the charger while I some cleaning under the hood. I just put a new battery in about 3 weeks ago but had not driven it since, so whatever...got her started and remembered the relay stuck last time and decided to dig a bit further.
Let her warm up, fan should come on around 170 - it did not. Turned on A/c...nada. Kept her running until it reached 240. Ok, that's enough. Tapped the connector / relay a few times and nothing, with it running and air on, so I shut it off. Inspected the connector and, ah ha...big red wire connection at relay is black and crunchy - uh oh. Time to get out the manual.
Pulled aprt the connector and relay- ouch that's hot (relaay) and got a jumper...red to red/blk - oh my, a spark, not good. Pulled fan connector and then tried to jump same terminals, ok good - no spark. Test at fan connector - both are good. 
Ok, so here's the low down - when a shop replaced the A/C system a few years back, they had to add splices to the relay connector - and used crimp connectors. The red wire connector is pretty dark brown instead of the original bright yellow - should I replace and solder that connection? I'm pretty sure they just crimped it or just trace that wire - I believe it is the fusible link - and replace the whole thing?
I orded the upgrade relay and connector from Ecklers, but it does not look like I will get her to the Sunday Good Guys Event and will have to drive my Honda huh.gif

I have a replacement fan thanks to Shifty! Finally opened the thing he sent me a few years back when the a/c was replaced!

Maybe do a load test. Sounds like somethings pulling a lot of amperage to turn that connector brown. 

Fans pull a lot. you can use crimp terminals. The relays are available at truck dealerships. They will carry 70 amps. I will be at the coffee/bagel in the am if you want to talk about it. I can get you the relay, terminals and a mount if you want. I do a lot of relay installs..

47 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Fans pull a lot. you can use crimp terminals. The relays are available at truck dealerships. They will carry 70 amps. I will be at the coffee/bagel in the am if you want to talk about it. I can get you the relay, terminals and a mount if you want. I do a lot of relay installs..

Very nice offer.

12 hours ago, Ted Y said:

Very nice offer.

Indeed, and thank you.

Got plans to attend Good Guys this AM, so I miss the coffee and donuts this time but will be attending one real soon - hope to meet you then. 

I got the fan ready to install and the relay upgrade kit from Ecklers is on the way.

Thanks again! I will snap a few pics to show the carnage and post later...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found time and all the parts. Here is the old connector, new connector and sealed weatherpack upgrade relay.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's funny Michael. That's the exact same plug I had to replace on my 82. Used to have pictures of the same exact melted part. 

And, needless to say there was no better time to remove the salad and lawn clippings from radiator / condensor. Cooling system got a thorough flushing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, P51tj said:

Fjuan fiddy parts make it quicker???

Nope, cooler...

I can thank Sloryde Joe for that - when he installed the aux. cooling fan on the front side of the radiator.

And, in all the excitement I forgot to mention this new fab and install:

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I think that's the EXTRA crispy recipe lol. Yep they don't call the C4 the nose vacuum cleaner for nothing. You need a debris screen :ack

16 hours ago, GOLDCYLON said:

I think that's the EXTRA crispy recipe lol. Yep they don't call the C4 the nose vacuum cleaner for nothing. You need a debris screen :ack

I actually have one - look closely in the third picture between the top of the shroud and the condensor..

2 hours ago, F22trainer said:

I actually have one - look closely in the third picture between the top of the shroud and the condensor..

Hmm was this pre trash install? Wow that's a lot of debris

F22trainer
On April 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM, GOLDCYLON said:

Hmm was this pre trash install? Wow that's a lot of debris

Installed 4 years ago, just prior to a/c system overhaul...but has been 3 years since I cleaned it.:blink