Escape the Heat - Saturday, August 20th

Chameleon

Well, I was going to sign up then Jammye reminded me we have reservations up by pinetop to use the new RV. 

Ya'll have fun, I know we will ... :1jester:  

VenomOnWheels

Unfortunately Christine & I won't be able to make the run.  You crazies have a fun-filled, safe cruise.

~Dale

1 hour ago, Extender32 said:

Which way are you going?

OMG that sounded like a 1960's radio commercial.

"Which way did he go? Which way did he go? He went for Faygo."

Have fun on the cruise. :thumbs

Thanks Donna for setting this up. We had a lot of fun, even driving home in the torrential downpour on the way back.

Thanks Donna for a great cruise.  Hope no one turned off of I-17 due to the misinformation on the road sign.  The southbound was open.  The northbound had the wreck and the 8 mile backup.  Had very little rain on the way back. 

I had a great time with you guys today. Especially making that idiot in the Dodge cry like a baby in the twisteez!

Thanks for putting together the event Donna.

Andy

Guest badbobs95
On 8/8/2016 at 10:11 AM, Desertdawg said:

Well, I was going to sign up then Jammye reminded me we have reservations up by pinetop to use the new RV. 

Ya'll have fun, I know we will ... :1jester:  

I'm in now. This is a very scenic route if you haven't taken it before. Yeee Ha!

Coming back the long way, first it was rain, then hail, then SNOW, then fog, I thought I was gunna DIE! Still had a great time. 

A fun drive in the Pines.  Drove thru all four seasons on the way back to PHX! Managed to outrun the "baseball size hail" reported by the National Weather Service!!

Thanks everyone. Linc-n-Lynn

Guest badbobs95
1 hour ago, Lincoln56 said:

A fun drive in the Pines.  Drove thru all four seasons on the way back to PHX! Managed to outrun the "baseball size hail" reported by the National Weather Service!!

Thanks everyone. Linc-n-Lynn

Great meeting you two! Especially your wife, she's a lot prettier than you are Lincoln!!! Don't forget Corvettes & Caddies on the 3rd!

29 minutes ago, badbobs95 said:

Great meeting you two! Especially your wife, she's a lot prettier than you are Lincoln!!! Don't forget Corvettes & Caddies on the 3rd!

I'm betting he feels the same way about you and Wendy. :smilelol

Considering the weather conditions you experienced, makes me glad we had babysitting obligations yesterday.  Wow

Thanks to everyone who showed up!  I enjoyed everyone's company at the lunch, and the cruise up to Flagstaff was fun.  The return trip was, well, interesting. . .

On the way up, the driver of that Dodge was delusional about his car's capabilities.  Andy and Greg schooled him.  That was amusing. The cruise up Lake Mary road from Long Valley to Flagstaff was simply blissful.

Leaving Flagstaff it was raining and I made the HUGE mistake of believing the ADOT signage, and detoured off I-17 down 89A.  The first part of the drive was beautiful.  Light traffic, winding down into the canyon with light rain and scattered fog, and the temperature dropped to 58* which was AWESOME. 

The canyon did get crowded round slide rock, but the traffic was moving just fine until a few miles outside Sedona, when the traffic suddenly bunched up to a dead stop.  It took me over 30 minutes to go those last few miles into town.  My trusty remote navigator (thank you Cahd) in Phoenix (thank you Bluetooth phone connection) advised me that 179 south was also a parking lot, so I stayed on 89A to Cottonwood.  The traffic disappeared, and I got to enjoy awesome scenery of red rocks against angry black clouds. 

I stopped in Cottonwood for gas, and that is when the sky opened up -  hail, and then torrential rain. From Cottonwood to the top of the grade on southbound I-17 out of Verde Valley, it was raining so hard I had only three car lengths of visibility with the wipers on high.  The road was covered with a solid sheet of water, obscuring the lane markings, and I discovered that the fat tires on the Vette, which grip so great on dry roads, become water skis with that much water on the  road.  That was a bit unnerving.  I floated to the summit at about 40 MPH where I discovered dry roads for the remainder of the drive home.

Looking forward to next year already. . .

The traffic jam was on I-17 NB (Fatality Accident). We encountered heavy rain until just a few miles past Munds park and then light rain just north of the Sedona Exit and dry roads all the way home from there.

8 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Thanks to everyone who showed up!  I enjoyed everyone's company at the lunch, and the cruise up to Flagstaff was fun.  The return trip was, well, interesting. . .

On the way up, the driver of that Dodge was delusional about his car's capabilities.  Andy and Greg schooled him.  That was amusing. 

GoPro film please.  You're having too much fun. Don't get worn out before the new year!   :tumbleweed: