Tps

bowling green

bowling green

Hi guys. 

A friend of mine just bought a 2001 convertible. The battery had to be replaced right before he bought it and drove it home from California. Now three days later all four of his tire pressure sensors are showing bad. Anyone in the Northwest Valley they can reset them?  Discount tires telling him he needs to replace all four for $200

There's a receiver unit that he better hope didn't just crap out. Strange for all 4 to flatline simultaneously 

see if if there are any codes being stored in the computer first

Guest badbobs95
3 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

There's a receiver unit that he better hope didn't just crap out. Strange for all 4 to flatline simultaneously 

see if if there are any codes being stored in the computer first

That's what I was going to say but everyone knows I don't really know what I'm talking about! :o 

I have a TPMS tool that works!

Im in Goodyear though......I can bring it to the lunch this Saturday and give it a try!

SLAMMER

2001 should be able to rest with a strong magnet. C6's need the special tool.  

Good find Eddie :thumbs

Here is some reality: if those are the original sensors the are now in the neighborhood of 15 to 16 years old, they could just be dying or dead. Life expectancy is about 10 years. Try the reset, check for codes, and let us know

Quicksilver98

If you find that the batteries in the TPS are all dead, they can be replaced. Its not an easy process and takes some time but less then 20 bucks for 4 batteries and some epoxy vs 200 for replacement sensors. I did 2 sets over the years when I had mne. There are some step by step procedures on the big forum for it.     

bowling green

so a little background.  my friend is an older gentleman who isn't really a tech guy.  turns out discount told him 2 of the sensor batteries are going so he might as well replace all 4 because the other 2 are probably not far behind.  I checked for codes today and there are none about the tps. Mark if you can bring in the magnet I will try that. sounds like he might just need to replace the batteries.

He is also having problems with his door locks not working with the key fob, there was a code on that b2282  left hand door control module. Any resets on that?

Thanks

If he's not techie I would suggest he not try replacing he batteries.  It is not a simple job.  You have to take the tps's out and force the cover off, replace the battery and epoxy the cover you forced off back on. 

I'd check on how much Discount wants because they can break down the tires and do the replacement in mins vs hours of your time doing it. If that's too high then call our favorite Service Mgr Ed at Coulter.  

The door module needs repair but again it sounds like it might be beyond his ability.  I'd check with Joe at Classic Gold on this one. 

• 1 month later...
bowling green

I replaced the lock and unlock relays in both door modules. worked like a charm.

replaced his stock cassette player stereo with a stock c.d player I bought from a friend. some of the lights don't work.

can they be replaced?  also when he pushes the night driving button on his rear view mirror, his drivers side does not move.

once again thanks for the help

The lights on the stereo don't work?  There is a company you can send it to, I don't know of a local vendor though.  Let me see which computer I have that link saved on, standby

bowling green

yes some of the lights on the stereo don't work,  as far as the night driving mirror adjustment, my car doesn't have it so I am not exactly sure how its supposed to work?  he says when he pushes the button, the passenger side mirror and the rear view mirror adjust but not the drivers side??? 

9 hours ago, bowling green said:

yes some of the lights on the stereo don't work,  as far as the night driving mirror adjustment, my car doesn't have it so I am not exactly sure how its supposed to work?  he says when he pushes the button, the passenger side mirror and the rear view mirror adjust but not the drivers side??? 

Try checking the connector for corrosion in the accordion boot between the door and body on the driver's side.

• 9 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, TheCMSH said:

Good find Eddie :thumbs

Here is some reality: if those are the original sensors the are now in the neighborhood of 15 to 16 years old, they could just be dying or dead. Life expectancy is about 10 years. Try the reset, check for codes, and let us know

Wow only 10 years? my 91 and 90 are both rocking their original TPMS sensors and they work fine

7 hours ago, GOLDCYLON said:

Wow only 10 years? my 91 and 90 are both rocking their original TPMS sensors and they work fine

The 10 year estimate is based on average vehicle use. When the car has not been driven for more than 30 minutes, the RCDLR has no need to ping the sensors for a pressure reading, therefor they go into sleep mode until the car is operated again. Assuming you have low miles, aka operating time, it's why the batteries last longer than average.