Devil's Highway Cruise April 22-23

Chameleon

On April 22nd and 23rd I am cruising up north to run the Devil's Highway. If you are not familiar with this road, it is the old US 666 (now Highway 191) also known as the "Coronado Trail." It runs between Alpine and Clifton, and is about 90 miles of some of the most technical driving available in this state. This is NOT a high-speed drive, but if you enjoy twisty two-lanes, off-camber corners and spectacular scenery, this is a great road.

I am leaving mid-morning on the 22nd and driving to Springerville/Eagar for the night. The 23rd I'll run the highway, and be back home that night. This is about a 600 mile trip, split 250/350 between the two days.

The route is a loop, Phoenix/Payson/Heber/Show Low/Springerville/Alpine/Clifton/Safford/Phoenix.

I'm staying at the Best Western in Eagar on the 22nd.

http://bestwesternarizona.com/hotels/best-western-sunrise-inn

Anyone who wants to join me is welcome to come along; post up here if you're interested.

PHOENIX MEET POINT/TIME:
Chevron station, southeast corner of Beeline (Hwy 87) and Ft. McDowell Road.

10180 North Fort McDowell Road,

Fort McDowell, AZ 85264

If you don’t have a smart phone or Nav:
This is the second traffic light north of the intersection of Beeline and Shea Blvd (approximately 2 miles).
Turn right off Beeline, and an immediate right into the Chevron.
Drive through the fuel islands, and bear left into the parking lot on the side of the building.

Food, drinks, fuel, restrooms available.
9:30 meet for a prompt 10:00 a.m. departure.

PRESCOTT FOLKS MEETUP POINT/TIME:
Meet in Payson.
Parking lot, southeast corner of Hwy 87 and Hwy 260, south side of McDonalds.
11:15ish meet time for an 11:45ish departure.

IN:
Ted Y

Chameleon

SLAMMER

Dakotaz (2)

ChadC

Koolvet (2)

HOG LUVR

hotinphx

MAYBE:

ashbobby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chameleon

• Ted Y

• ChadC

• Azmotorhead

I have done this on my Gold Wing and it was great. I'll put it on my calendar and say that I'm a maybe. 

53 minutes ago, BornWise said:

AZ motor head and I are in.....we had a blast last Devil's Highways Run.:cheers

Bring Tylenol! Lol! 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:55 AM, ChadC said:

im a 50/50 on this event. 

Ill be taking the bike tho, so i will not be keeping up with the pack. 

You're going to get tired of pedaling

I'd love to do this one but we've got a new Grandson scheduled to arrive April 21st. Maybe next time. 

If you missed out on this last year. Don't miss it again. There's more fun than just driving!!

Like drinking at the hotel, Drinking and being obnoxious at dinner, etc. I'm sure we'll be welcomed as we livened up the place.

Banana  

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:29 AM, coconut girl said:

Not that I can ever hope to keep up with you and Donna!

I thought you kept up just fine! :burnout

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the room at the Best Western. Cyn and I will be there. We may go up to Show Low the night before so I can do my conference call Friday morning. We will either watch for you guys as you come through or meet you in Eagar. It was great to meet you today Chamelon. 

Steve

insatiableOne

l just did it in one long shot up 77 to 70 then 60 east to 61 then 180a to 180 

got 40 to 191 all the way to I-10 ... thirteen hours non stop 700 miles almost exactly. 

Was an eye burner for sure.  The gas station in Showlow almost ripped my front bumper off, I still have gouge marks to buff off.

Thinking off gas stations... remember there are NONE. I almost ran out up and once again back! 

Near brake fade going through alpine, went two weeks ago still had snow on ground.

would be a great ride except the 25 mph speed limit the whole way.. saw two vehicles and two motorcycles inalpine, then not one after until I-10. 

I wont be able to make this one, going to be in Charlotte, NC in April. There is a guy in AZOD with a supecharged Jag XJR that I told about the cruise. His name is Neil Cooper, if he applies for a join, he's game for this one.