c5 hesitating

bowling green

bowling green

My 2000 corvette has a hesitation at about 2500 rpm it stumbles then picks up until a little over 3000 stumbles some more then almost feels like a rev limiter at about 4000 rpm.

I have changed the fuel filter and just did the ls1 to ls3 mod for the pcv valve, thinking that it had a vacuum leak. no help with either of those.

Any suggestions?

I used to do a "Seafoam cocktail" in my father's 450SL w/clogged injection.   2 cans of Seafoam + 1 can of Techron (black bottle)..... one trip down the highway at WOT and in a few miles all was well for another 6 months.

bowling green

I have not yet. I will today

12 hours ago, JohnU said:

I used to do a "Seafoam cocktail" in my father's 450SL w/clogged injection.   2 cans of Seafoam + 1 can of Techron (black bottle)..... one trip down the highway at WOT and in a few miles all was well for another 6 months.

I will try this today also

bowling green

I replaced the plugs and wires today it is definitely running better. The hesitation does not happen every time now. But it is still happening, approximately three times in a 5 mile ride.

Seems like a sensor or vacuum or something that's causing it at 2500 RPM every time???

bowling green

I used Bosch platinum plugs and gaped them to .60

nit sure what ce lights are. But I have no codes on any computer

bowling green

As far as I know. It's a factory tune. I have only owned the car for about 7 months. Shortly after I bought it I got a check engine light and code for secondary air pump so I had it programmed out and the fans set to 190 degrees. But that's all. 

with the car running spray brake cleaner around the air intake, maf sensor, and intake manifold. We have had 2 C5's in the past 3 months come in w/ cracked housings on the Maf causing issues. If you had a scanner you could watch the fuel trims and see which side it's on and a few other things. Post up some more stuff and I will try and help you out on here. 

Platniums are ugh, and .060" is pretty huge on the gap. Not sure why you did plats or .060". I would replace those with some quality copper plugs and gap them down. 

bowling green

I used platinum because they are what the guy at oreilly said were original and the gap I got from the owners manual

There is a TSB on that spark plug gap, it is listed as spec incorrectly.  It should be dropped down to .040"

Platinum and iridium plugs should not be gapped, so I would recommend picking up a set of AC Delco 41-962 plugs preset at the factory gap and see if that cures your problems.  My bet is that it will.

All the best~

The guy that doesn't know anything

100% agreed with Two Fangs.

Lesson learned, never trust an autoparts store guy, EVER. In fact I would be really weary to even listen to a dealer person. Most of them have no clue.

bowling green

I will change the plugs again next  weekend and let you all know if it fixes my problem. Thanks for all the help

• 2 weeks later...
bowling green

No I spent last weekend fixing my truck.   But my car it running worse. It  just completely falls on its face at about 3500 rpm. 

It won't go past about 3700.  To 3800. I am planning on trying the new plugs this weekend. A friend said he uses ngk tr55 on his c5.   Any thoughts on those?

Make sure your wires are seated tightly. Easy enough to miss. You could've cracked an insulator on one of the new plugs too

bowling green

So I changed the plugs out today and it ran better but still hesitated around 2500. So I took of the maf and removed the screen and cleaned the elements with a q tip and alcohol now it runs like new.  Thanks to everyone for the help

Good to hear you got it ironed out.

Hmmm.... who gave you the tip on cleaning the MAF??