Criminal Speeding Ticket

VetVixn

Its been a decade or two since I spent time in the Halls of Justice, but and I may be mistaken here.

A "No Contest" or "Nolo Contendre" plea is only applicable when there is property damage involved.

Maybe Santa should bring you a Passport or V1 for Christmas

32 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

Its been a decade or two since I spent time in the Halls of Justice, but and I may be mistaken here.

A "No Contest" or "Nolo Contendre" plea is only applicable when there is property damage involved.

Maybe Santa should bring you a Passport or V1 for Christmas

They will detect laser, but by then it's too late.

This is what's most concerning to me...if cops here are using freakin laser beams, our elaborate radar detectors are no longer warning devices; rather beeping 'you're screwed' machines...

19 hours ago, VetVixn said:

I really don't think I'm crazy, but 90 doesn't feel that fast to me at all!  

Your right 90 isn't that fast in a vet, but you were cruising a city freeway that usually has a lot of patrols on it. There are a lot of open roads that you have access to near here that you could use. "Mexico perhaps" It sucks but you still have to pay the piper.

My criminal experience was for 90 in a 65,100% bs,but none the less.

Went to court and stood in front of the judge to plea not guilty.You’ll then have to go stand in a line with everyone else,and they will assign you a date to come back,where the county prosecuter will offer a plea deal of speed not reasonable and prudent,3 points on your license,and a 280.00 dollar fine.

You can fight it if you choose,and the prosecuter will tell you all the doom and gloom,license suspeded for all eternity,fines in the millions etc.,so most choose to just pay the fine and move on...

11 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

They will detect laser, but by then it's too late.

Not 100% true on the too late,as I’ve picked up scatter from laser,which has saved me.

35 minutes ago, y2krtaf said:

My criminal experience was for 90 in a 65,100% bs,but none the less.

Went to court and stood in front of the judge to plea not guilty.You’ll then have to go stand in a line with everyone else,and they will assign you a date to come back,where the county prosecuter will offer a plea deal of speed not reasonable and prudent,3 points on your license,and a 280.00 dollar fine.

You can fight it if you choose,and the prosecuter will tell you all the doom and gloom,license suspeded for all eternity,fines in the millions etc.,so most choose to just pay the fine and move on...

Your experience is pretty much what I've seen elsewhere.  It does sound like the best option. Not thrilled about the 3 points on my license.  I've had a clean driving record for a long time.  But I guess it could be worse!

If you have a good detector and fast reflexes you can still beat the laser. True its a instant on but they have to get a fixed speed.

If you hear the tone and are on the binders right away chances are they wont lock a steady speed on you , but you have to be alert and ready.

IMHO if you were in a group of cars traveling at 85+ on a freeway with traffic you were asking for it.

Sure I like to drive my car in a spirited manner at times but

1. traffic had better be nil.   2. weather had better be clear  3. It's not going to be for a long duration and 4. It wont be in a contest with another car on a public roadway

I learned my lessons along time ago in my yute

1 hour ago, Azmotorhead said:

If you have a good detector and fast reflexes you can still beat the laser. True its a instant on but they have to get a fixed speed.

If you hear the tone and are on the binders right away chances are they wont lock a steady speed on you , but you have to be alert and ready.

IMHO if you were in a group of cars traveling at 85+ on a freeway with traffic you were asking for it.

Sure I like to drive my car in a spirited manner at times but

1. traffic had better be nil.   2. weather had better be clear  3. It's not going to be for a long duration and 4. It wont be in a contest with another car on a public roadway

I learned my lessons along time ago in my yute

I don't typically drive that way in traffic.  I was behind this godawfully slow minivan for about a mile before I got to the freeway on ramp and finally had a chance to pass them and did.  The Cadilac behind me was clearly also relieved to be free of the  minivan so we both sprinted.  I like onramps because there isn't any traffic and it's a nice straight shot onto the freeway and I typically slow down once I'm on the freeway.  This time I didn't right away in part because of the Cadillac. It wasn't for more than half of a mile at most. I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic or anything.  I had already slowed down considerably by the time I saw the cop, but he had gotten me already.  I was having a little fun and that was my mistake.  Trust me, I'm kicking myself now!

On 12/24/2015 at 3:03 PM, VetVixn said:

Yeah at the end of the day he's doing his job and I get that.  I could have been more generous/lenient in light of the holiday but obviously he wasn't in a generous mood aside from not hauling me to jail.

You have my sympathies. 

I encourage everyone here to read this old book "A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets"

http://www.amazon.com/A-Speeders-Guide-Avoiding-Tickets/dp/B003H4RDAQ

most police do NOT want to write tickets, in fact most people talk themselves into a ticket within the first 30 seconds. 

granted I said "Most", not all. 

VetVixn: if the first words out of the officers mouth was " I got you doing 91!" 

... your done.

nothing you could have done short of  the Cure to Cancer or a sexual favor would have helped. 

It wasnot you, the cop was angry for a reason, and you were the next citizen to get it. 

..perhaps he just came from a speed related child fatality

... or had to tell a family about the death of their son to a Drunk Driver

... or he had to tell his family he is gay because he sold his Corvette for a BMW. 

- not that I would know anything about that.  :-D

4 hours ago, ChadC said:

... or he had to tell his family he is gay because he sold his Corvette for a BMW. 

Dood, ya made me smile. :thumbs

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ChadC said:

Snort..

Guest badbobs95

I know when those lights come on behind you, your heart beat doubles and you can't think fast enough. I got pulled over for 135 in a 50 and thought I was going to prison. He asked me why and I told him I was just testing out the car on this desolate road at 1:30 in the morning and not another car in sight. It was my 69, 427/435. He said it was such a beautiful car and said it would be a shame to total it. I swear he let me off with a warning! I have a Passport and it has saved me many times. Now I try to not go over 84 on any highway. Best of luck whatever you decide.

23 minutes ago, badbobs95 said:

I know when those lights come on behind you, your heart beat doubles and you can't think fast enough. I got pulled over for 135 in a 50 and thought I was going to prison. He asked me why and I told him I was just testing out the car on this desolate road at 1:30 in the morning and not another car in sight. It was my 69, 427/435. He said it was such a beautiful car and said it would be a shame to total it. I swear he let me off with a warning! I have a Passport and it has saved me many times. Now I try to not go over 84 on any highway. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thanks!  I've gotten lots of lucky breaks.  As another poster said, I don't think there is anything I could have said that would have helped this time.  They usually ask do you know why I pulled you over or do you know how fast you were going.  Not this guy.  He didn't seem at all interested in "why."  He did ask me where I was going and I told him the gym since that is where I was going.  Somehow that seemed lame.

As soon as we get a lunch put together for January make sure you bring that bad fast machine by so we can have a look at it. Love the C7 in white :thumbs 

10 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

As soon as we get a lunch put together for January make sure you bring that bad fast machine by so we can have a look at it. Love the C7 in white :thumbs 

Thanks!  I will try...if I'm not in the slammer :-P

What is it with this getting caught at 91 MPH?!  I got pulled over for doing 91 on the SanTan 202 over 10 years ago when I even had a radar detector!  And it wasn't my car that he caught as I was the one going slower than the rest.  I pleaded not guilty and had my day in court questioning the cop, challenging him on the inherent limitations on the gun he used.  I did a little homework and just tried my best.  Unfortunately, I wasn't the one who prevailed in this case but judge did drop the fine to $250.  The prosecutor actually commended me on doing a really good job questioning the witness and doing my homework.    

And on a recent note.... I was driving home from Boston back to Phoenix a few weeks ago.   It was about 10 pm when I decided it was time to find a hotel for the night so I exited the I-81 and right behind me... a VA Sheriff!  He approached my car (Camry, not da Vette this time) rather slowly looking in the back windows.  I had my driver window down and not anxious about the ordeal at all.  He finally gets to me and says, "I had to wonder why your window tint was sooooo dark and realized, you're from Arizona!"   He proceeded to tell me I was going 91 (REALLY, 91 again??!!  What's with everyone's radar coming up with 91??!!) and said that I even came up behind him at one point and then passed him!  LOL  I said, "Uh oh... I'm really sorry, I had no idea I was even speeding!  We've been on the road for at least 12 hours having just left Boston and headed back to Arizona and we're looking for a hotel because I'm tired from all of the driving."  

He was really nice about it and asked for license and registration and went to his car for a few minutes.  He came back with a huge smile on his face.... and said, "I ran your license and it says you're from Maricopa County!!"  I said, "Yes, we're from the Phoenix area, just headed back home."   Thankfully, he was a HUGE Sheriff Joe fan and was just tickled pink that we're from his county!  And with that, we chatted a little bit and then just let me know how strict VA is about speeding and that they don't take it very lightly there.  Wished us happy holidays and a safe trip and let me off the hook!!  Thank you, Sheriff Joe!!!!! 

The next day we stopped in Knoxville, TN and hung out a a bar & grill downtown.  When Marco mentioned that I got pulled over in VA doing 91, everyone at the bar just went silent and looked at me.  One guy said, "And he just let you go?!  No one gets out of a ticket like that in VA!  Nobody!!  You would have been hauled off to jail!"  Wow.... seriously thankful for that very nice Sheriff having a man crush on Sheriff Joe!  And no more speeding in VA!  LOL

I got a ticket for 60 in a 55 zone in Va a few years ago.  County Mounty who had nothing else to do. Saturday afternoon and no other traffic, 

Guest badbobs95
5 hours ago, VetVixn said:

Thanks!  I've gotten lots of lucky breaks.  As another poster said, I don't think there is anything I could have said that would have helped this time.  They usually ask do you know why I pulled you over or do you know how fast you were going.  Not this guy.  He didn't seem at all interested in "why."  He did ask me where I was going and I told him the gym since that is where I was going.  Somehow that seemed lame.

Hindsight, ya know? Next time say I'm really sick and I need to get to the doctor but I'm picking someone up to go with me. What's he gunna say? You bull-shitin me girl? 

I've had my share of "things" happen in my short, long life as well. I hate to say this and nobody else has yet. But the stereotypical saying about Vette owners is: "You drive a Corvette, you have money!" comes to mind and maybe the officer was in that mind set. Not saying you do or don't but that's what MOST people think when they see people in a Corvette. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take.

22 hours ago, mrhusker said:

I've had my share of "things" happen in my short, long life as well. I hate to say this and nobody else has yet. But the stereotypical saying about Vette owners is: "You drive a Corvette, you have money!" comes to mind and maybe the officer was in that mind set. Not saying you do or don't but that's what MOST people think when they see people in a Corvette. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take.

Honestly, that's sort of the feeling I got.  I don't have oodles of money - this is the first vette I've owned and the most I've ever spent on a car.