The Building of My '64 Convertible, Finale

Dave64

With the frame finished and engine broken-in, it was time to marry the body back to the frame.  This went much quicker and was mush easier than I had envisioned (I was scared shitless) when the body came down to the frame that afternoon.  After that, the car came back to my house, where I proceeded to put everything back where it belonged.  This was a long and arduous process, as I would put something on then have to remove it to put something else on.  I completely restored the instrument cluster and glove box door.  Sorry no pictures of the dash.  I installed the Vintage Air unit in an afternoon.  I installed the wiring harnesses, now that was fun.  I wired the instrument cluster in the house on the kitchen table, then put it into the car.   Running the wires under the hood took some time, as I wanted it to be very clean.  I think it came out looking pretty good.  When I put the grill back in, I left the bottom stainless trim off because it looks much cleaner to me.  I also left the side flags off the front fenders, again, because it looks cleaner.  Everything else is done the way it came from the factory.  It took a couple months to get everything done to the point where it had to go back across town for the interior and top to be completed.  I had the seats and center arm rest redone in leather.  The rest of the interior was good enough that it got reused, though I did re-dye the dash pad.

Here's a list of things I'm especially proud of:

The restoration of the instrument cluster

Conversion to disc brakes in front

Frame reinforcements at rear end.

Conversion of alternator to driver side with later corvette brackets

Installation of Vintage Air unit

Installation of the Tremec 5-speed

All the powder coating I did at home

Three awards I've received at shows: Prescott, two years ago when I won 1st in my class, then two Top Two awards at the 94.5 KOOL FM shows the last two years

I don't have a good picture of the car, though, someday, I'll find someone and the right place to do so. 

The last picture, the one with the little boy, is of my son driving the car with his son at Christmas time having fun in Gramp's car.  Tre (David III) is the same age my son was when we got the car in Virginia.  He loves riding in it as much as his dad did at that age.

That's it on my '64 convertible. Thanks for reading.

Car - 8-24-10.jpg

Engine Compart 6-2-10.jpg

IMG_0377.JPG

Front View - Painted.jpg

Frt Side 6-2-10.jpg

Underneath 6-09-10.jpg

small4.jpg

small9.jpg

20140606_134649.jpg

IMG_0972.JPG

photo.JPG

Most awesome story, thanks for sharing. 

And what a beautiful ride :thumbs  :thumbs  :thumbs  

Thanks for the comments, guys.  It only took me three years to get around to it.