SUPERCHARGE or TURBO

PALADIN

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

It's my daily driver with 76k on the clock. 2000 C5 so it's only 345HP. Only alterations are cold air intake and cat back exhaust.

Looking to may be add a little power so extender32 doesn't make me look so bad.

:burnout:cheers

You'll need a lot more power to keep up with Greg! Be careful when you modify. Maybe some new heads and a hotter cam may help. Less problems with the AZ heat with that route. 

SLAMMER

For a daily I would go blower hands downs.

A turbo could net you more power if you're going all out, but underhood temps, oiling issues, etc etc.

I daily my 01z and I'm saving my pennies for an A&A setup :beerbang:

For close to the cost of a blower, you could probably swap cars to a '08-'09 LS3 and get similar HP gains.

I am with SLAMMER and HOXXOH on this one.  The group made it to Flagstaff at the same time. Mild mods to what you have or move up to an LS3 car would be ideal.  You can look back through this forum and see both types of builds only to see the car being traded away within a few months for whatever reason. No matter how much horsepower you have, there is always somebody with even more.

Just as Slammer said, I'd go with some simple bolt-on's. heads, Cam and headers ought to net you some good gains. I was thinks the same as you with my 12' GS and Slammer recommended the same to me.

Guest badbobs95

Mine has long tubes, no cats, x-pipe, Magnaflow, 36 lb injectors, tune by Nic D, and went to 347 RWHP. And that's about 47 more than stock. And it purrs like a cat with no issues at all. :rolleyes

I did heads/cam as the first build on Green car (RIP), and was very underwhelmed.  Put 417 hp/374 tq to the tires IIRC, and with 3.90 gears it still just felt slow to me.  And that was close enough to not matter 5 grand in total mod investment.  After putting the 408 stroker in it, which did 461 hp / 447 tq to the tires it was much better as it built WAY more tq down low to get her up and moving.  In fact, it built more tq than an LS7 up to about 5 grand.  And that was close enough to not matter 12 grand cost.  

Trade your C5 for a grand sport and start saving for a blower.  I love the C5, still prefer them to the C6, but you have to replace so much of it to build a lot of reliable hp, it's not worth it.  Plus, yours is a 2000, like mine was, so you have the early computer, making tuning much harder and less fruitful.  Or, start saving now, and wait for C6Z prices to drop.  They are already on the way down.  I bet on average, they are worth 8-10 grand less a year from now.

Mine has long tubes, no cats, x-pipe, Magnaflow, 36 lb injectors, tune by Nic D, and went to 347 RWHP. And that's about 47 more than stock. And it purrs like a cat with no issues at all. :rolleyes

But he wants more Bob. If his is modded like your's, then it's still a 13.64 car. Not that it's a bad thing, but when you compare it to a bone stock LS3 at 12.64, that's over 10 car lengths. With only boltons I can still run mid 11's on street tires. I'm not dissing your car, but simply showing the difference.

Just as Slammer said, I'd go with some simple bolt-on's. heads, Cam and headers ought to net you some good gains. I was thinks the same as you with my 12' GS and Slammer recommended the same to me.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

It's my daily driver with 76k on the clock. 2000 C5 so it's only 345HP. Only alterations are cold air intake and cat back exhaust.

For close to the cost of a blower, you could probably swap cars to a '08-'09 LS3 and get similar HP gains.

Paladin: I would never DD a turbo car unless you drop the coin to do a TTIX kit or find a new APS kit. they do require constant babysitting unless you really drop the money to by a very nice kit like the 2 mentioned. Tom for the cost of an ECS kit installed he will make more than a heads,cam ls3, and drive 100% like stock and still be reliable as heck. And I'll stress again don't do an A&A or procharger kit, take it from someone who does this day in and day out. ECS is the hands down best, we are a dealer for all 3 but can tell you from real experience none of them come close to an ECS kit. Better bracket, bigger head unit, does a restrictor plate so you make a lot more low end tq, can change the belt with the head unit on the car, and other little items that on an install stand point make it a much nicer kit. If you want to really go over any options in depth let me know, we have installed every form of forced induction out there on C5's,  C6's, and the new C7's

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Paladin: I would never DD a turbo car unless you drop the coin to do a TTIX kit or find a new APS kit. they do require constant babysitting unless you really drop the money to by a very nice kit like the 2 mentioned. Tom for the cost of an ECS kit installed he will make more than a heads,cam ls3, and drive 100% like stock and still be reliable as heck. And I'll stress again don't do an A&A or procharger kit, take it from someone who does this day in and day out. ECS is the hands down best, we are a dealer for all 3 but can tell you from real experience none of them come close to an ECS kit. Better bracket, bigger head unit, does a restrictor plate so you make a lot more low end tq, can change the belt with the head unit on the car, and other little items that on an install stand point make it a much nicer kit. If you want to really go over any options in depth let me know, we have installed every form of forced induction out there on C5's,  C6's, and the new C7's

But you get a lot more than just an extra 90 HP when you swap a 2000 C5 for a 2008+ C6. A blower won't add all those features that make the C6 a better car.

I see a bunch of LS3 H&C cars running 10's on the big board, along with several cam only, and a few boltons, but no blown C5's that quick without H&C. As soon as you go away from stock internals, so goes the DD reliability.

My thoughts are if you like the styling of the C5, go with a S/C.  That's what I did, and have no regrets.  But if you like C6s, then here's an excuse/justification to move to a new car.  Although, you have to go through all of the headache of selling your car, finding a new one, repairing all of the unknowns etc..  Adding the S/C to your car will give you more HP than a stock LS3 car, and breathe new life into your C5.  Talk to Joe about your options to keep the car as reliable/driveable as possible.  Then you can be armed with some facts and make an informed decision.

• Upvote 1

Guest badbobs95

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

That's what I was going to say!  :lol 

Listen to Joe. ECS kit all the way. I've had A&A and ECS kits, ECS is much nicer. Will drive like stock, add 150+rwhp, and you will love it.

Turbo all the way if it wasn't a vette. There is just no room to do a nice kit on a vette. I'm Mr Turbo, and love turbos, but there is no good way to do a nice DD turbo setup on a vette unless you plan on dropping $60k+ into it for a lot of custom work.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree with the crowd. SC for a daily driver.  Or trade up. 

I sent Joe@cpr an email to get a price on the ESC unit installed. It's stated to add 200HP to a stock LS1.

I found a 2008 Triple Black Z51 Vert with 37k on Craigslist for $32,000. Looks like my Harley. So even if I could sell Harley for 15,000, it would cost 17,000 to upgrade. Private party, no sales tax. Plus I am sure he doesn't want to wait for me to sell mine. Nice Vert but I could do a lot of MODS  for a lot cheaper.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
joe@cpr.com
7 hours ago, Two Fangs said:

Got money? Turbo

Don't got money? Supercharger

198 in the half and driven 9k miles a year with zero loss in any oem component. Not doing that with a turbo vette build and trapping 162 in the quarter. In other platforms sure but in a vette if you want to have your cake and eat it too its got to be via a blower. 

I kind of agree, if you would have put another 20K in fabrication and twin 88's,  the car would be faster, and just as reliable.  It takes a lot.