The Building of My '64 Convertible

Dave64

I was browsing through some old posts and came across one where Dean (MOTV8) suggested I talk some about the rebuild of my '64 convertible.  Well, now it's been a couple years since I finished (if you can really ever finish a car) the '64.  I am very proud of how she turned-out after about five years of blood, sweat, tears and a lot of money.  I love driving her every so often and I've actually won some trophy plaques with her, which has surprised me when I think back to all the beautiful cars in our class.

Chapter One

I bought her on President's Day 1985 when I was stationed at Langley AFB in VA.  She was born on November 5, 1963 and first purchased as a graduation present in 1964 for a girl in Richmond, VA, who had her for about seven years, then traded her in on a new Impala.  A guy in Norfolk, VA bought her in 1971 and had her for 14 years, but had to trade her in on a new Suburban for his expanding family.  I drove her as my daily driver until mid 1995, when I finally decided it was embarrassing her to look like she did, with paint flaking off everywhere.  She sat in the garage for a few years while I went drag racing with a '67 Chevelle.  Racing was fun for a few years, but I started getting a hankering to get back on the street.  I deliberated whether to convert the Chevelle or rebuild the Corvette.  The Corvette (her) won out, so the '67 was sold.

She was looking really worn-out after 10 years on the road and about 12 years sitting in the garage.  I started the project by removing the engine, transmission, seats and just about everything that I could get off or out.  Every last part was bagged, tagged and put in the shelves.   I found a shop in Mesa that would help me during the rebuild by letting me use their lift and other stuff I had no access to.  The day finally came to take her across town.  It was a bitch welding that trailer hitch on the yellow car to get the '64 across town to separate the body from the frame.  I posted the posed pictures of the '02 in front of the trailer on the big board and actually got a couple responses telling me I had been pretty dumb to have towed the trailer with the '02.

It was very scary lifting the body off the frame on the 2-poster.  When it was separated, I knew it was too late to back out now.  I had nothing to do with any of the body work, as I wanted her to look good.  We found the original job number on some of the body parts, which was really neat.  In fact, I made sure not to get paint over any of them so they would always be there.  Her body was pretty beat up, as she was wreaked by her first owner.  The entire nose section was replaced with a new piece, with the original going to a guy in Canada.  There were a couple holes in the floor from a separated half-shaft while the second owner, in Norfolk, VA was racing her.  We found that the frame had a couple small twists in it, one from the girl driving her into the ditch that dark and dreary night and another from where the tow truck put their hook on the frame and dragged her out of the ditch.

Next chapter will have some pretty pictures.

To the bodyshop 2 10-15-07.jpg

To the bodyshop 4 10-15-07.jpg

07-10-21 Body Off 1JPG.JPG

07-12-05 Body Number on Cowl 1.JPG

07-12-05 Body Number Locations Unknown 1.JPG

07-11-27 Clipless 2.JPG

07-10-19 Body 5.JPG

07-12-05 Rear Deck Back On 1.JPG

07-11-27 Clipless.JPG

07-10-25 Frontend 1.JPG

07-11-06  Firewall Stripped.JPG

07-10-19 Body 4.JPG

Great story and thanks for sharing it with us. Some of those guys on the big forum aren't happy unless they belittle someone else so they aren't the only ones unhappy. That birthday is very cool too. Course I'm kind of biased towards that month and day anyway...

Nice car indeed ... looking forward to the next chapter .........  :lurk

Cool story. And. Nice seeing the pictures. 

I see you went into the firewall area, was there much rust in there ???

There was a small rust hole in the wind screen frame, so we welded it up. Otherwise, the firewall was in great shape, thanks.