PRC 265 heads w/675 springs (3 broken)

cr133r

Just tore the car down due to misfires and found springs broken on Intake #3, Exhaust #5 and Exhaust #8. Car really didn't have any major symptoms other than logging misfires ocassionaly. Went 11.9@125 last weekend on street tires here in Tucson.

I'll be pulling the heads soon to see how bad things are. Probably switch to BTR springs and the Ferrea hollow stem exhaust while its apart.

I wonder what it will do when its healthy again???

Anybody that has these springs should keep an eye on them. There are plenty of people that have had issues (and also plenty of people that hadn't, wish I was one of them). BTW, these were purchased 4/15/2014 and have about 8000 miles on them.

2nd person I know with the .675 springs that had issues. I'm running the 650 PRC springs and have ~20k miles on them, no issues.

Sorry to hear about the springs Billy. Other than the springs, how's the car running? I just got my car up and running again. If you need a had, shoot me a PM. By hand, I mean someone to hand you the tools lol.

Tony

WOW...that sucks, Billy.

Thank goodness it wasn't at Indie during an HPDE.

Honestly, I can't say that it wasn't during the HPDE. It's had a misfire off and on for a while that I thought was narrowed down to bad coil packs. Its been run pretty hard in less than ok condition. :( Hell, it may be the reason why the original dyno from tuning had power falling off above 5000RPM. I'm dumbfounded as to why it still runs.

YEs they are dual springs. If they were singles this would have ended really badly.

I'll try to post photos tomorrow. Not much to show other than 3 outer springs in many pieces. Everything else looks great other than the one missing titanium retainer. It slid off the spring during assembly and I still haven't been able to find it. Guess I need to call Brian Tooley on Monday and see if I can buy a single ti retainer.

I swear my car hates me for the way I drive it.

I'll try to post photos tomorrow. Not much to show other than 3 outer springs in many pieces. Everything else looks great other than the one missing titanium retainer. It slid off the spring during assembly and I still haven't been able to find it. Guess I need to call Brian Tooley on Monday and see if I can buy a single ti retainer.

I swear my car hates me for the way I drive it.

False, Corvettes thrive on abuse. Neglect is the enemy...

joe@cpr.com

Check on the side your working on by the leaf spring adjustment pad, that's where random things tend to fall for me. Or on the leaf spring between the oil pan.

• 3 weeks later...

Car is up and running again. Took it to the track Friday night since its the only safe place for me to open it up for tuning. Made 7 passes with no issues other than traction.

Best was a 11.608@117.8, 1.977 60ft. Sadly, I missed 4th gear and just let off.

Other best was 11.655@127.97, 2.019 60ft. 7.745@96in the 1/8.

I hoped it would do better but the traction and air weren't there. DA was ~5600ft.

NT05 that are 5 years old. Drag radials coming soon I hope. Having a hard time finding wheels that I'm willing to pay for. Wish I could find a repro 18x12.

NT05 that are 5 years old. Drag radials coming soon I hope. Having a hard time finding wheels that I'm willing to pay for. Wish I could find a repro 18x12.

I got a set from House of Wheels on the big forum out of Florida. Under $1000,00 shipped including TPMS for a set of four black repros track wheels. I think the rears weighed 27 lbs each.

SLAMMER

I have not had any problems with these wheels I've used for track the last 3 years.

Unfortunately they no longer carry them and the used one's don't last long on the big forum.