C5 Headlight Gear Replacement

Grape Ape

Has anyone that lives on the west/north west side of town ever replaced thier C5 headlight gears? This will be on a 2000 model year car. I think it has the newer style without the cover bolts so the gear drive will need to be removed so the covers can be pried off and glued back on. If anyone has replaced thiers and would like to help a fellow ACE member out then please PM me and I will get you in touch with the member. His and my schedule don't mix to well. I would love to help him but thought if anyone can help him out then he could get it done on a weekend day instead of over 2 days during the week if I did it. Let me know by next Wednesday if possible if anyone can help out. Tanks a bunch... :thumbs

UPDATE 05/06/2015

Had Karl's 2000 FRC here for a few days and got his lights working better then new. Now they won't wear out. Installed his brass gears for him. He had the old style actuators so it didn't require any glue or over night drying time. Easy peasy...Sorry you had to drive so far.

Now the video in case anyone needs some pointers on doing theirs.

Crap.......my weekends are just shot right now or I'd be willing

If all else fails he could take it over to Frank Dunshee, he's near 75th Ave and Union Hills, Frank can do those in his sleep, probably charge 50 bucks though

Thanks for the info. I hope it's the older style. Then we could have it done in a couple hours.

My 2002 didn't have the bolts. I did both sides and within a week found one side cover had come off and was gone. It lasted 6-8 mos and was traded in that way.

I've replaced both sets of gears on my '02. The motors ate the ones that have to be pried apart, then reglued. You must also purchase the bracing set to help hold the halves together.

I have not been happy with my repairs, as once I finally got the damned things to stay together, they decided to not open after use. In other words, the next night you need headlights, they won't come up. After each use, I must manually turn the knob on each motor counter clockwise a bit to take tension off the gears. I've asked for help in this matter on a couple forums, but haven't had any luck on fixes. I'm probably the only person with this problem.

I could help you with your headlights during the week Tuesday or Friday. It is very easy to replace the gears.

How do I get a hold of Frank Dunshee, he's near 75th Ave - im at 83rd and Beardsley - so im close.

How do I get a hold of Frank Dunshee, he's near 75th Ave - im at 83rd and Beardsley - so im close.

I have his card at my house, if no one else posts it up I'll PM it to you when I get home later

7304 W Villa Rita Drive Glendale AZ 85308-8157

Phone: (602) 938-8895.

Sent you a picture of what the older version looks like so you can figure out what you have to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...
Grape Ape

Updated the first post in case someone needs any pointers on doing theirs.

Kudo's go out to Mark for doing this for me _ Ill try and pay it forward, maybe do a few more Column Lock bypasses.

Bob, I also heard that there was a real nice Nassau Blue FRC at the east side lunch.

Thanks to all that gave suggestions, not sure what Id do without this forum.

Grape Ape

Glad to help. You should be good for the life of your car now. Enjoyed doing it to.

• 7 months later...

My gear broke on my 00, but wanted to get fixed lights installed instead of fixing the gear. No one will install fixed lights that I have called. Any one know of a place? If not I will have the gear replaced. I wanted to do this myself, but the light won't come up (even when I turn it myself). I read that there's a screw under the light, but you need it jacked up to get to it. In the process of this I mistakenly unscrewed the motor and now it doesn't make any noise. Will this need replaced as well, or is that easily put back together(not sure what I screwed up on it, just came off for a second). I've replaced a few other things with ease, but had trouble with this one, partly by my own mistake and other part due to the light not coming up. 

Where are you located? I'm on the east side. Far east side. I have a few days off work so if I can help out with the gear replacement I would be glad to. I don't know anything about the fixed ones though.