NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

to sell or part out?

70 canam BB

70 canam BB

So here most of the original drivetrain is my dilemma, I have a 1970 BB coupe with most of the original drivetrain. The endine is the only iffy part. I was told the block is the original but had its serial scrubbed off during a rebuild in the late 70's. Recently hadth entire engine and transmission gone through and re-sealed due to some leaks from sitting. It does run and drive but really needs new tires. The dilemma is that this car has a full Ecklers widebody kit on it that was put on between 78 and 82. I don't know exactly when. The interior was updated to the current vette interior at the time which is why I say 78-82. And has the original Javalina corp digital gauges. This car is a Calif big block with the 454 and TH400 combo. The good is everything is in great condition interior wise except a couple carpeted panels that I have removed in order to have them redone in the back of the car, and the side panels for the console. The body needs some work but its mostly minor except right at the point of the nose where someone damaged it and tried to start fixing it (poorly I might add). I know most people hate that these cars were modified this way but that isn't the purpose of this post. if you have an opinion about this being a widebody please keep it to yourself. The purpose of this post is to see whether it would be in best interest as a seller and for potential buyers to basically tear this car down and part out, sell as a whole, or to remove the body parts that aren't factory and salvageable to sell as a bodyless running chassis. I will post some pictures shortly.

Thanks for your time and assistance in figuring out what to do.

Rodney

Final Effort

If it was me. I'd keep whole, the rear quarters can be replaced at new owners desire. If the car was a roadster 4 speed I'd be interested.

Upload some pictures if you can, it'll help with the input you're looking for. Sounds like a beautiful car

You'd better hope that motor doesn't go thru a MVD inspection for registration or any other reason. I worked auto theft for Phx PD and seized more than one motor that had the number ground. I had one guy cry all the way thru pulling a BB out of a 70-72 Vette. The car was an original SB but he was selling as an original BB. An expert who knew enough to inspect before buying called us. We seized the Vette and gave him the choice, either he pulled the motor or we kept the whole car. He cried for three hrs while took the motor out.

70 canam BB

I really love the look of the car I just don't have the time to give it the attention she needs. I wanted to leave the body on and change the rear tail lights to the standard can am 3 lights per side and put offset trailing arms, and the tires I have here for the car with a 345/30r/17 rear and the 245/35r/17's for the front.

70 canam BB

The serial wasn't ground off with a grinder its just not completely visible from an old rebuild where the mating surface was re-machined. I bought the car with the engine from California in 2008. I know there is a way to bring the numbers back to being visible but haven't done the research or looked into having it done.

If anyone knows how to or has a contact that does this process I would love to have that done. so someone wouldn't have to worry about the mvd stealing their motor.

Wow, pic#12 really reminds me of the Greenwood vettes. GL with whatever you decide to do, certainly an interesting car.

If you sell it, there are people who will jump at getting it with the wide body. Sort of a cult following now...

If you part it out there will be more wanting the wide body kit than the rest of the car.

I think parting it out would bring in more money, but it will be time consuming and you won't be able to sell it all..

Question, are those T-Tops actual GM ???? If so they are pretty rare.

My brain fades in and out sometimes but they are mid to late 70's and only offered on like one model year I think...

But I think Ecklers offered a version of those for one or two years. Then fazed them out.

I would sell it as is and see what responses you get.

Try to clean it up and resolve minor issues but just be upfront with the callers about what still needs to be done.

You could try parting it out, but it'll take months and you'll still end up with a bunch of residue.

Let somebody else fix it up and enjoy the relic from the past

70 canam BB

I would really like to see someone get it back on the road as it should be. The hardest part is going to be trying to put a price on it that is fair.

During shows on Velocity ( I think) I've seen commercials for a place that buys C1, C2 & C3 in any condition. See if you can find out who that was and give them a call. Even if you don't take their offer, it might give you an understanding of where buyers might be.

I think you need to leave it, fix the cosmetic, sell it as a complete car. It's rarity is what will ultimately sell it. There may not be 100 guys lining up for it but the same guys who might be looking for onesy-twosey parts to make their cars look like this, would likely forego individual parts shopping for a complete rolling assembly. I'd guarantee there are folks out there looking for unique and rare

70 canam BB

thanks for the info guys your all giving me great thoughts on what to do with the car so someone can enjoy it like I originally wanted to do with it. The hardest part now is going to be to figure out a price that's fair to myself and the potential buyer.

At this point I don't have an ability to put an informed price on it which is the reasoning for second half of this post.

Lurch: PM me an offer.

He is. His shop is Bromley's Corvettes, 800 N Miller Rd., Tempe (480) 390-2652. He specializes in C-3's.

If not, stop by his shop with pics. His shop is on the Scottsdale / Tempe border.