NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

'05 column lock problem

HOXXOH

Does anyone remember a Mike that had a red '05 coupe that had problems starting in hot weather? I think he worked at Maryvale hospital and refueled SR-71's while in the USAF. After many dollars for parts and inconclusive investigation for the cause without a solution, he sold the car

Today, I read a comment on CF that appears to be the answer to cure the problem. I'm posting it here for future reference to help anyone who may have a similar problem with their '05.

"I had an 05 and had a similar problem. When mine would sit out it the sun, two wires would touch inside the steering column and would not let the car start. It took a ton of time to find out what was going on since it was an intermittent problem."

Yeah, he spent most of his time on the other forum, not here. The fuse block underhood is another issue that causes similar symptoms in the early C6's

nort99 or north99 was his screen name here iirc.

I saw his car years later at the MVD, those black fade stripes Mike added on the sides were still on the car and it still had the same issue. The new owner was trying to get thru emissions could not start the car in the waiting line and was pulling his hair out. :lol

Guest Mikey

I brought a sledgehammer to help Mike Bratton while he was installing the fading decals. He traded in the red C6 for a black Z06 for a very short time. I attended his retirement party a couple of years ago in Sun City and haven't heard from him since. He was a nice guy, former plumber and stock car racer.

Mike followed Steve Nirk away from ACE, I talked to him a couple of times but he never came back.

He got rid of the Z06 shortly after getting it and was Vetteless last I knew.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard you can start them if you put It in run mode and jump the starter relay pins 30 and 87... you didn't hear it from me :snky: